Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn will not insure me

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

whats annoying me is the fact that 3 years ago nobody said ok we'll take your money now but when you decide to get a decent car with a bit of speed dont come looking for cover with us until your 30 how can they do this and get away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Op you can talk to the irish insurance federation about it. Found this on the national consumer agency website ;

If you keep getting turned down for car insurance, the Irish Insurance Federation (IIF) operates a Declined Cases Agreement. All motor insurers in Ireland have signed up to this scheme.
    For assistance in this area, contact the IIF's Insurance Information Service. The IIF is the representative body for insurance companies in Ireland.

Legally you have to have at least third party insurance for the car. If you can't find a company to quote you the iif can get quotes on your behalf as legally they have to insure you but i think they can charge what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

One thing I am pretty sure on is Insurance companies can not refuse on age. I remember the laws being brought in and coding the changes. They can of course refuse you on the length of time you have had your full licence which they did. So to get around refusing all sub 25 year olds they introduced a refuse if the applicant has not held their full licence for X years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭horseydevine

isn't there not something that like if you have the car in your possecion, the company has to quote you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

You won't get the membership discount as you're not an AA member. True they operate the VW assist breakdown service but this does not give you AA membership !

Also, from previous experience the AA are very cautious and generally won't touch males under 25 as they can't get quotes for them!

The OP is 26 and when I rang them they gave me the AA member discount even though I personally do not have AA cover

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Dubdude wrote: »
    Notahappycamper - I am already insured with them and just said no they will no give me cover on this car.

Awhir - as i said in my other post i can get insured with hibernian but if i cancel my policy with quinn i will loose the last 10 months of my no claims bonus and will be startin my 3rd year all over again.

Also it would be interesting to find out who the 18 year old lad is insured with maybe he told them its just a normal VW Golf this is what happend me told them all the details they gave me a price and then i said its a gt model and straight away the said no.

Try ringing another branch, get the reg from it (or any one) and tell them it's on your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

isn't there not something that like if you have the car in your possecion, the company has to quote you??

Yep, that's pretty much what I was getting at with my last post on here (I'm open to correction here though).

As far as I know, they cannot point blank refuse you a quote if you own that vehicle or are currently paying for it (may only count for existing policy holders though).
    They could quote you some ridiculous quote that nobody would take, but I think they have to quote you.

OP:
    I can't believe Quinn (who seem to insure anybody and everybody) are refusing you on a 140bhp Golf when you're 26 and have a couple years NCD on a full license. Very very bizarre.

Other than being 4 years younger than you, my situation was EXACTLY the same as you. I was in a bit of a rush to buy a car before July 1st and I had 2 years 9 months with Quinn and I was on my full license just under 2 years. They wouldn't insure me on it and I was determined to get it, but I didn't want to lose the 9 months I'd been with them.

The only difference is my car isn't worth as much as a 08 Golf GT, but usually the value of the car is secondary to other details.

Oh, they also gave me that 'must be 30' spiel as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

OP- why don't you try Brittons insurance they are very good, i could get quotes from them on almost any car.

Correct address is brittoninsurance.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

When i got off the phone wit the original guy who shot me down i rang head office straight away and the girl i was dealing with said there has been a note left on my file that i applied for cover on the car and that theres no way they could give me cover. Ah well there loss as come sept. i shall be gone from them and moving somewhere else

thats a real pain alright, Im female and got a decent-ish price with Quinn for a 2.8 vr6 golf (havent a clue what the BHP is), maybe theyre being pricks cos ur male. im definitely changing next year when i have my 3 years NCB too.

Try www.xsdirect.ie, they have a really easy quote system, none of this BS about where u park your car. They run on the basis of you having a higher excess, and they are especially for more powerful cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Bobo78 wrote: »
    OP- why don't you try Brittons insurance they are very good, i could get quotes from them on almost any car.

Correct address is brittoninsurance.ie

Bobo78 as i stated in a previous post i can get insurance with hibernian but if i cancel my policy with quinn now i loose the last 10 months no claim bonus which means i would be starting my 3rd year all over again where as in sept i will have clocked up a full 3yr ncb which will mean my insurance will be cheaper when i shop around havin 3 rather than 2yrs ncb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No theres not, I dunno how many people i have to tell this to, I have contacted the IFF and asked them about this, there is no legal obligation on insurance companies to quote you just because you've bought the car without consulting them.

The only way an insurance company legally has to quote you is as LolaDub has stated through the refusal scheme, you ask an insurance company for insurance, they refuse you, you go to x(it was 2 when i asked but 3 and 4 have been mentioned lately) amount of other companies and if they refuse you too the first company legally has to quote you.

@OP,

Have you seen my post stating you can ask to speak to a supervisor or manager at quinn who will unlock more cars in the system, worth a try ringing them up again and asking

Yeah that sounds right Draffodx, definitely heard that somewhere. But do you think they need to quote you if you bought a new car and have a policy already with them? That's the only thing that has me slightly confused.

I definitely think talking to a supervisor is in order here, because there's no reason you shouldn't be getting quoted on that car.

The employees on the phones are just going through a database system and they'll give you a yay/nay depending on what's in front of them.
    If for whatever reason there's an error in their database/formula that judges the risk involved in insuring (men) people, then they need to be informed.

The phone employees obviously don't have any say in the matter and they have to follow policy, so you won't get any joy out of them unless it's escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Notahappycamper - I am already insured with them and just said no they will no give me cover on this car.

Awhir - as i said in my other post i can get insured with hibernian but if i cancel my policy with quinn i will loose the last 10 months of my no claims bonus and will be startin my 3rd year all over again.

Also it would be interesting to find out who the 18 year old lad is insured with maybe he told them its just a normal VW Golf this is what happend me told them all the details they gave me a price and then i said its a gt model and straight away the said no.
    try them again maybe ya just got a jealous ****, sometimes i think they give quotes off the top of their head
    sayin that though when i was up for renewal in march quinn were one of the cheapest, i'm payin 650 now on a 05 focus and only axa gave a quote of 650 aswel, hibernian were 1100

No they dont have to honour an existing policy holder changing there car midway through the policy either, The IFF website is great for info and they reply to email enquiries very efficently too, I'm suprised at how many people dont know about them or use them.

draffodx wrote: »
    No they dont have to honour an existing policy holder changing there car midway through the policy either, The IFF website is great for info and they reply to email enquiries very efficently too, I'm suprised at how many people dont know about them or use them.
    not tryin to start an argument here but i was told by them that they do and so were a few friends, thats the only reason i bought a scooby when i was 20 with 7 points

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Quinns are getting funny from what I have been hearing from friends and family, either not insuring or putting their quotes up.
    I was with them till recently, reason why i'm no longer with them is because they put my insurance up this year by €200 for no reason, I've a full clean licence and 2 years no claims. I rang them up and asked them why it went up, all i got back was "it just has", said i could get it cheaper elsewhere and the reply i got to that was "go elsewhere, do you want to cancel your insurance" :eek:
    I thought they would of at least tried to match the other quote I got :confused:

Now with Hiberian at €563 FC, last years insurance with Quinns €758 FC (would of now been €960), now thats some difference.

Ugh. This has me worried. I changed my car 9 months into my policy and they said 'your monthly direct debit will go from xxx to xxx if you want to switch cars' but when I asked what the grand total would be yearly, they wouldn't tell me. They said I'd have to wait and see when my renewal comes up.

So god only knows what sort of figure they're going to give me next, going by what people are saying lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Quinns are getting funny from what I have been hearing from friends and family, either not insuring or putting their quotes up.
    I was with them till recently, reason why i'm no longer with them is because they put my insurance up this year by €200 for no reason, I've a full clean licence and 2 years no claims. I rang them up and asked them why it went up, all i got back was "it just has", said i could get it cheaper elsewhere and the reply i got to that was "go elsewhere, do you want to cancel your insurance" :eek:

Yeah, they seem to be putting up the prices, my premium is not going down at all this year, staying the same. Still the cheapest by far for me though. :(

mine wnet down 150 this year

guil07 wrote: »
    mine wnet down 150 this year

1st year: 2600
    2nd year: 1250
    3rd year: 750
    This year: 750 :mad:

Hibernian and others still wary of insuring me on the diesel engine, with its 73 bhp, I could do some damage. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cionád wrote: »
    1st year: 2600
    2nd year: 1250
    3rd year: 750
    This year: 750 :mad:

Hibernian and others still wary of insuring me on the diesel engine, with its 73 bhp, I could do some damage. :rolleyes:

Do you seriously believe it's not possible to do serious damage in a car with whatever amount of BHP?

ha ha my first year 3800
    second year 1900 went up to 2200 on a 1.5 subaru then 2800 on 2ltr turbo subaru
    third year 2000 then dropped to 850 on an astra
    this year 650 on focus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I was with Quinn Direct since last September. I wrote off my WV Golf in a smash last December, and in fairness they were great and settled the claim quickly and efficiently.

I changed cars a few times since then till I got my 2006 320i 3 weeks ago. I was told by Quinn that my policy would cost just over €2k for the car.

I got a quote from Axa for the same car for just over €500.

Quinn seem to be losing the edge ... something wrong with their systems when a different company can quote for 25% of the cost of Quinn for the same policy.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Do you seriously believe it's not possible to do serious damage in a car with whatever amount of BHP?

:rolleyes: The fact that they have a policy based on engine size rather than risk analysis is my point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Biro wrote: »
    Try ringing another branch, get the reg from it (or any one) and tell them it's on your driveway.

I'd be shocked if it works - they all work off the same central CRM system in Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Cionád wrote: »
    :rolleyes: The fact that they have a policy based on engine size rather than risk analysis is my point here.

Yeah its kind of a joke isn't it :)

Seeing as though every car is already classified into a risk grouping for insurance in the UK and most the insurance companies are large groups anyway would make sense to move from the engine size based system....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

God reading this thread makes me so happy to be female. How could anyone pay 3,000 to be insured?
    I got insured on my own car, as a learner (i'm not now) with no experience and it was only 950.
    Quinn actually wanted nearly double that to cover me though. I'm with AA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

God reading this thread makes me so happy to be female. How could anyone pay 3,000 to be insured?
    I got insured on my own car, as a learner (i'm not now) with no experience and it was only 950.
    Quinn actually wanted nearly double that to cover me though. I'm with AA.

I paid my first year insurance on 1.4 engine nearly 3000k €, but my insurance price has fallen by half after getting 2 years no claim bonus.

Women are getting much better quotes then us male on car insurance.
    But i guess it all depends of the age and all other factors.
    My friend who is female paid nearly 3000 euro for car insurance
    4 years ago when she was 23 which was very expensive.
    but she pays only about 600 to 700 hundred euro now with 4 years no claim bonus and full licence and no points. But i think that s little bit too much opposite how much other people pay on much powerful cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

How could anyone pay 3,000 to be insured?

Because many blokes will drive the highest engine size in which they can afford insurance.

Not discounting the fact that some young males are paying over the odds in a small car, there is still a lot of teenagers and guys in their very early twenties bitching about high insurance when they could be saving many hundreds of euros by keeping the engine size down.

• Advertisement

guil07 wrote: »
    not tryin to start an argument here but i was told by them that they do and so were a few friends, thats the only reason i bought a scooby when i was 20 with 7 points

not at all, I was told this by my friends too and when i rang quinn the girl said something along them lines on the phone too but still sounded a bit iffy, this was when I was looking for insurance on my integra type r.

So i decided to ask the IIF to make sure as I wanted to know where i would have stood legally if I bought the car and they refused me cover and they told me I would have no legal rights and it would be within the companies rights not to quote me. They then advised me to go down the refusals route.

I'd assume most operaters are told to give a quote if the person has bought the car to keep there business and think its the law but in actual fact its not

Advertisement