Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

asked for an id card

• 29-07-2008 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

A friend was asked for an ID card when buying a cigarette lighter.
    Is this allowed?
    Is it common practice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

This happened to me when I was younger and it really annoyed me. I don't think there's anything illegal about it since the store has no obligation to sell any of its goods to a customer.

You could argue that it's discriminatory treatment on the grounds of age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I would consider the store to be acting responsibly regardless of whether or not there are laws around it

faceman wrote: »
    I would consider the store to be acting responsibly regardless of whether or not there are laws around it

I don't agree with this. There is no restriction on buying a lighter or matches. A person may be buying them for any number of reason, although I'll conceed it will usually be cigarette related. Regardless, it's not the place of the store to make assumptions about the motive of the buyer, or to judge what is in the best interests of the buyer in the absence of legislation.

What's next, refusing to give crisps to an overweight person for their own good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭captainzapp

when i was in boston last i went in to a shop to get a lighter. they didnt sell lighters but they had matches. complimentary ones. but they asked me for ID before giving them to me. they said they had gotton in to trouble before giving them out to underagers. so i dont know about here but it sounds like theres a law against it in the states!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

thanks for your replies.
    It is incidental I suppose but the friend is actually19.
    She has told me that buying cigarettes is much more difficult in France but we are both surprised at her being asked for an ID to buy a lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spike440 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. There is no restriction on buying a lighter or matches. A person may be buying them for any number of reason, although I'll conceed it will usually be cigarette related. Regardless, it's not the place of the store to make assumptions about the motive of the buyer, or to judge what is in the best interests of the buyer in the absence of legislation.

What's next, refusing to give crisps to an overweight person for their own good?

What possible reason would a child need a lighter for?

What possible reason would a child need a lighter for?

As I said, of course it will usually be for cigarettes, but it could be for an adult, or for use with a chemistry set (don't laugh, I liked chemistry). My point is that if there is no law to restrict the sales (like with knives, cigarettes and alcohol), it is not the place of the shop to make its own law.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

spike440 wrote: »
    What's next, refusing to give crisps to an overweight person for their own good??

are they already some of the way along that road in the UK (hope I am right) where they can refuse treatment to smokers (or is it the obese? ) for smoking related illnesses if they refuse to quit (not that I would necessarily oppose that but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth) ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I always thought you had to be over 18 to buy a lighter/matches? Or over 17 at least?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Only thing I can see on it is this:

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/Consumer_News/Disposable_Lighters.html

Doesn't state there is a legal age to buy or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Off the top of my head, as a non smoker, reasons I had as a 13 year old for matches or a lighter would have been :
    melting rope to stop it unraveling
    lighting a stove to cook
    lighting a campfire
    lighting a tilly/gas lamp
    lighting candles

As I said, of course it will usually be for cigarettes, but it could be for an adult, or for use with a chemistry set (don't laugh, I liked chemistry). My point is that if there is no law to restrict the sales (like with knives, cigarettes and alcohol), it is not the place of the shop to make its own law.

I think a judgement call on the part of the shop assistant can determine whether or not the lighter is going to be used for purposes other than for acting the maggot.

I doubt the majority of teens/kids (and lets not forget thats what they are when under 18) are buying lighters/matches for camping, chemistry sets or for their parents.

Faceman, I don't think either of us is going to convince the other on this!

Faceman, I don't think either of us is going to convince the other on this!

Perhaps not. There is only one way to settle this.... pistols at dawn!! ;)

There is only one way to settle this.... pistols at dawn!!

Can we make it noon? Dawn is so early these days.

Advertisement