Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive Username

Options
  • 29-07-2008 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to report an offensive username, but I couldn't find any other place.

The user drmengele is clearly named after Josef Mengele, a physician at the Auschwitz concentration camp and probably one of the most brutal and sadistic war criminals.
    Could one of the moderators please delete this user, as I don't think that this is an appropriate user name on boards.ie.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Just because you find it offensive doesn't mean everybody else does, I can think of quite a few usernames at least as bad as that one! Is the user in question being offensive? Proposing mass exterminations?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well if you say so, sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So because you take offence at the fact that he is named after a Nazi you want him to simply disappear into the night? Surely there are less ironic ways to deal with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Well I agree with you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

mdebets wrote: »
    Could one of the moderators please delete this user, as I don't think that this is an appropriate user name on boards.ie.

Where do we draw the line though?
    There are many, many members on this site with nicknames that could offend someone.
    Why not take it as tongue in cheek humour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Your final solution is a bit OTT, in fairness. There are other names on Boards that I don't like too, but as the last post said: where do you draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ban anyone with "SS" in their name. Its clearly an attempt to overthrow the Zionist world government!

:rolleyes:

stovelid wrote: »
    Your final solution is a bit OTT, in fairness. There are other names on Boards that I don't like too, but as the last post said: where do you draw the line?
    | At people involved in genocides?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It is the general view of the mods that the username is accaptable but I can assure you that such a nick will attract greater notice and their actions checked for muppetery.

Munya wrote: »
    | At people involved in genocides?

I wouldn't choose the name myself, true. If it's OK with the admins, though, I don't give it too much thought after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I wonder how many people that would be complaining about this were in some way effected by the events in question abd lost relatives during that period or are just part of the "PC Brigade" trying to make sure we don't possibly offend anyone.

Surely he is already paying for the crime of picking that name ;)

DR.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I for one would like to welcome our new Nazi overlords...

OP, your username has the word "bets" in it. What if I had a gambling addiction?

Surely he is already paying for the crime of picking that name ;)

DR.JPG

He's getting a stalk-post ratio of 41:1 though.

Handy days work. Maybe he put the OP up to this?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Some might find your choice of avatar offensive. A cartoon character running around all day with no pants on? Don't get me started on his "friend" piglet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Having visited Auschwitz I think that this name is ridiculously insensitive. I would in no way call myself pc but there is no reason for this name to be used. Beyond being an advocate of Mengele (or it being his actual name, highly unlikely) someone would only do this to get attention.
    There are plenty of strings of random letters and numbers and ones like this shouldn't be allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

.... in your opinion.

but thankfully, your opinion doesn't count for all that much.

Seifer wrote: »
    Having visited Auschwitz I think that this name is ridiculously insensitive. I would in no way call myself pc but there is no reason for this name to be used. Beyond being an advocate of Mengele (or it being his actual name, highly unlikely) someone would only do this to get attention.
    There are plenty of strings of random letters and numbers and ones like this shouldn't be allowed.

Oh please, your breaking my heart, get over yourself, if you are offended by this then I think you should rip out your internet connection and trash your computer for your own sanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to report an offensive username, but I couldn't find any other place.

The user drmengele is clearly named after Josef Mengele, a physician at the Auschwitz concentration camp and probably one of the most brutal and sadistic war criminals.

Why do you find it offensive?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Godwins law. You fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Well maybe i'm offended by your username, because Siefer was mean to Squall :mad::mad:

Seriously, OP your being offended by a string of letters.

Once you start asking people to change their usernames then where do you stop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

offensive usernames ftw!

.... in your opinion.

That's not very nice.

SlowMotion wrote:
    Oh please, your breaking my heart, get over yourself, if you are offended by this then I think you should rip out your internet connection and trash your computer for your own sanity!
    I didn't say I was offended by it just that I could understand how some people could be.
    So it'd be fine if I create account called AdolfHitler?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I too have found someone offensive,

The user DeVore is clearly named after Irven DeVore, an anthropologist and evolutionary biologist at Harvard University's Peabody Museum and probably one of the most brutal and sadistic war criminals sociobiologist.
    Could one of the moderators please delete this user, as I don't think that this is an appropriate user name on boards.ie

.... in your opinion.

What a useless, redundant post. No everything that everyone posts is fact.
    Its always the high post counters with the least to say.

Best be quick. The dictator name-pool is shrinking fast:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=34022
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=21652
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=48143

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There are also 11 users with Hitler used within their nicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I didn't say I was offended by it just that I could understand how some people could be.

Well you could but theres one already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There are already 2 users with variations of that name..

Edit....meh need to reply faster...:(

Advertisement