Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive Username

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It is certainly disheartening to see that severity of Josef Mengele's actions seem to be lost on people. Seeing pathetic attempt after pathetic attempt at trite analogies is particularly saddening.

But I'd be of the opinion that you should let the baby have his bottle and treat a user with such a username with the amount of respect or contempt that you feel they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I didn't think I'd actually have to remove anyone's access to Feedback quite so soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Offensive username?
    I'd be interested to hear Dr Bollocko or The Bollox's views on this one. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hagar wrote: »
    Offensive username?

personally i think its what the user says thats important not what they call themselves
    although it dosen't bode well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Time for a lolcat yet?..

lolcats_nazi_4.jpg

In fairness to the OP, I can understand where he/she's coming from. Of course its an offensive username to some people, but to force change is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Offensive username?

My good man I dont think my name is offensive.
    Surely it's a nice play on words is all.
    I mean Dr. bollocko is a name with no links to mass murderers or genocides. (so far anyway).
    So while it may sound like a dirty word, no worse than cunny funt or any of the rest of them.
    I wouldn't go posting 3000 odd posts with a username like Dr. Mengele or Adolf Hitler.
    Jaysus.
    So while I think anyone who picks such a username is a little bit of an insensitive prick, I will defend to the death his right to be an insensitive prick so long as it doesn't infringe on the charter until they have gotten at least 3000 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

My good man I dont think my name is offensive.
    Hah, you're a doctor and so is that Mengele chappie, fairly obvious connection it seems to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dinter wrote:
    As someone who had a relative die in a concentration camp it is terrible that it is now apparently fun to laugh at these events.
    Nobody is laughing at the Holocaust.

They are however, challenging the OP on their right to object to a username on a web site, that may, or may not, have anything to do with something else.

FFS - I'm sure that there's many a doggone buck-toothed, dungaree-wearin', moonshine-sippin', stick-whittlin' retard from the Appalachians who'd be píssed at my username if (a) he could read & (2) he could take his mind off-of ruttin' his sister/cousin/aunt for five god-darn minutes.

Hah, you're a doctor and so is that Mengele chappie, fairly obvious connection it seems to me.

But you're a mod of the military forum!
    So it was YOU!
    Arbeitz macht frei me nutsack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Hill Billy wrote:
    (a) he could read
    Lol, too ironic.

• Advertisement

Yeah Hagar - Your nick is offensive to all long-suffering cartoon Viking housewives. For shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Hill Billy wrote: »

*Sigh*

Ok so I'm suitably chastened.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

All this talk reminds me of a little song
    Springtime for Hitler and Germany
    Deutschland is happy and gay!
    We're marching to a faster pace
    Look out, here comes the master race!
    Rhineland's a fine land once more!
    Watch out, Europe
    We're going on tour!
    Springtime for Hitler and Germany...

Written by Mel Brooks, a Jew.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    All this talk reminds me of a little song

But does it have a beat you could dance to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Not true!

I have a good snicker about it most mornings

The Master wrote: »
    Not true!

I have a good snicker about it most mornings

Lolocaust surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I have a slightly different take on this issue.

Trolling is rightly frowned upon on this site but when I see usernames like Dr Mengele or whatever I really think thats pretty much the most upfront trolling you can get

the existence of this thread is an example, the simple existence of the usernames is enough to rile some people

I know there are differing levels of sensitivity in people and while some might find Dr Bollocko or whatever an offensive name I can certainly see how many others would find it amusing and not be offended at all.

But I just don't see whats funny or cute or tounge in cheek etc etc about adolf hitler or dr mengele as usernames and I have no idea why people would choose them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Riskymove wrote: »
    I know there are differing levels of sensitivity in people and while some might find Dr Bollocko or whatever an offensive name I can certainly see how many others would find it amusing and not be offended at all.
    It's different one portrays a body part and the other; extermination of an ethnic group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Munya wrote: »
    It's different one portrays a body part and the other; extermination of an ethnic group.

exactly

in fact its funny but I'd say it would be less likely to see certain slang terms for body parts allowed as usernames than connoctations to genocide, experimentation on disabled children etc

such is the insanity of human behaviour!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Are users here really that sensitive?
    0w3azsg2mcg6m7u2kvj3fz2mdntz3ruezu1s.jpg

I am not comfortable with being used as an argument for the defense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Are users here really that sensitive?
    0w3azsg2mcg6m7u2kvj3fz2mdntz3ruezu1s.jpg

In short no! I think users that are really that sensitive don't last very long, the ones that stay around do so in the hopes they can find something to be outraged about. I really think this kind of being offended is a form of unconcious (or maybe concious) trolling!

In short no! I think users that are really that sensitive don't last very long, the ones that stay around do so in the hopes they can find something to be outraged about. I really think this kind of being offended is a form of unconcious (or maybe concious) trolling!

Exactly.

It's easier to pick fault and then stand there championing your position against the "unenlightened" masses than say something constructive.

If anyone says something you don't like or proves you wrong you can just wash your hands of the whole topic and say you were "just pointing it out" or whatever.

Pretty much just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I've no doubt there are bleeding hearts out there who whine every time some poor individual manages to escape the PC blockade that is the general media.

Tbh, I would really hate to see Boards.ie take the nanny-state attitude and yield to the brainwashed masses on something so trivial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

In short no! I think users that are really that sensitive don't last very long

Isn't that a pity, the could help higher the tone of this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

username does not offend me, i dont care :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Isn't that a pity, the could help higher the tone of this website.

No they wouldn't, they would suck the life out of the place and I for one would have to leave for fear their constant whining would force me to hunt them down in real life and commit terrible crimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

/Sigh.

When I see a username like drmengele, i just think it's a kevin-the-teenager type who wants to wind up people and get a reaction.

All this kerfuffle is providing exactly that. Why fall for it so easily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

username does not offend me, i dont care :).

YOUR username offends me... Imposter!

Advertisement