Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive Username

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Since the laws relating to publishing and all that that have cause the kerfuffle with those who shall not be mentioned, I reckon it is up to the über-mods and admins.
    Unless someone is planning on launching a lawsuit over mr. nazi name then please kindly STFU already and leave me to my bollockos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

^^^

uh-oh, he said the 'L' word...

/runs and hides

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

SteveC wrote: »
    ^^^

uh-oh, he said the 'L' word...

/runs and hides
    Quick, shut down the forum!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Riskymove wrote: »
    But I just don't see whats funny or cute or tounge in cheek etc etc about adolf hitler or dr mengele as usernames and I have no idea why people would choose them!

I bolded and underlined the areas of importance.

People should have a right to say whatever they want and make up whatever forum names they want. If it offends you, you're welcome to leave.

What I don't understand is people taking the time and energy to actually come here and bitch about it. That being said, you're perfectly entitled to, even if your offence offends me.

(All "you", "you're" and "your" and collective and not actually aimed at the quoted poster, but at all the whiners.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Mena wrote: »
    People should have a right to say whatever they want and make up whatever forum names they want. If it offends you, you're welcome to leave.

While I agree with your viewpoint, it is not a democracy here on Boards, it is as DeVore once described it, "a benevolent dictatorship".

As such there is no direct right to free speech and no right to create whatever name they like If the Admins decide to prevent some names containing Hitler or whatever, they are fully entitled to do so and can do it quite easily in vBulletin.

I just hope that the whiners are ignored as bleeding heart PC Nazis deserve to be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

username does not offend me, i dont care :).

I was almost conisdering registering under the name niggerjew to reply to that, but thats too much work.

While I agree with your viewpoint, it is not a democracy here on Boards, it is as DeVore once described it, "a benevolent dictatorship".

As such there is no direct right to free speech and no right to create whatever name they like If the Admins decide to prevent some names containing Hitler or whatever, they are fully entitled to do so and can do it quite easily in vBulletin.

I just hope that the whiners are ignored as bleeding heart PC Nazis deserve to be :)

I know, I was being a bit more general (and unclear at the same time :pac: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Mena wrote:
    People should have a right to say whatever they want and make up whatever forum names they want.
    Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you have to do it.
    Mena wrote:
    What I don't understand is people taking the time and energy to actually come here and bitch about it.
    What I don't understand is people taking the time and energy to actually come here and defend this user's tasteless name choice.
    I really think this kind of being offended is a form of unconcious (or maybe concious) trolling!
    And I really think this kind of defending someone obviously in the wrong is a form of unconscious (or maybe conscious) trolling!

Nice the way they work both ways.

Mena wrote: »
    I know, I was being a bit more general (and unclear at the same time :pac: ).

You girls and multi-tasking :D

Seifer wrote: »
    What I don't understand is people taking the time and energy to actually come here and defend this user's tasteless name choice.

I'm about to butcher a famous quote but meh, whatever.

I will defend to the death the persons right to say anything they damn well please. My own view on the subject is of no-consequence. Perhaps my grandfather was at Auschwitz, perhaps I lost family there to, it makes no difference. If this person wants to call his forum account Dr. Mengele then so be it.

Get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

stovelid wrote: »
    /Sigh.

When I see a username like drmengele, i just think it's a kevin-the-teenager type who wants to wind up people and get a reaction.

All this kerfuffle is providing exactly that. Why fall for it so easily?
    *le sigh*

That person made one post, I doubt he's reading what I'm saying.. I just think that this board has rules for stupid things, why not a rule against someone promoting a torturer/murderer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I think using drmengele as a username is horrifically offensive. He should be gassed immediately.
    Munya wrote: »
    Isn't that a pity, the could help higher the tone of this website.

Or perhaps they could raise it?

Munya wrote: »
    *le sigh*

That person made one post, I doubt he's reading what I'm saying.. I just think that this board has rules for stupid things, why not a rule against someone promoting a torturer/murderer.....

I'm sure that's what he's doing. :rolleyes:

(I usually do not use the rolleyes, but this post just screams it)

FruitLover wrote: »
    I think using drmengele as a username is horrifically offensive. He should be gassed immediately.

Nice one. :D

I'm sure that's what he's doing.
    What's he doing then?
    If you look at his one post in the UCD forum it's about starting a phd. This person has completed an undergraduate degree so has at least some intelligence and life experience. So they're most likely immature or racist, (or maybe their name is Mengele and they're optomistic about getting their doctorate).

What's he doing then?
    If you look at his one post in the UCD forum it's about starting a phd. This person has completed an undergraduate degree so has at least some intelligence and life experience. So they're most likely immature or racist, (or maybe their name is Mengele and they're optomistic about getting their doctorate).

[Sarcasm]Oh how shocking! :eek:

I'm going to ask Vexorg for my money back and then I'll kick CuLT on my way out.

(and SteveC, definitely)

Bunch of Nazis

[/Sarcasm]

EDIT: I'm sure the user's name was but in light jest, but if it really offends you, perhaps it would be better to take this to Helpdesk, where SMods and Admins can reply to you alone. A lot of doctors have some admiration for Mengele's work. (His work, not his methods)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If immaturity was a bannable offence I'm afraid boards.ie would be a very small website indeed.

Edit: hey, spooky ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CuLT wrote: »
    If immaturity was a bannable offence I'm afraid boards.ie would be a very small website indeed.

Oi, I resemble that remark!

CuLT wrote:
    You don't have to ban him. Just tell him to pick another name. Help the immature to mature if you will.

You don't have to ban him. Just tell him to pick another name. Help the immature to mature if you will.

It just sounds so much like a nanny-state attitude. People are equally immature to find a random internet vBulletin boards site user's name offensive.

• Advertisement

A lot of doctors have some admiration for Mengele's work.
    Source on that? bull****facts.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Marcus Aurelius was emperor of Rome when the Roman Empire waged a succesful war on Parthia, and as such was doubtless responsible for quite a few deaths. I demand the user with that name be site banned as the username could be offensive to descendants of the Roman and Parthian soldiers who died in the course of the campaign :D

Source on that? bull****facts.com?

His work on immunology and endurance did yield results, as does all science, what proof do you need? :confused:

orestes wrote: »
    Marcus Aurelius was emperor of Rome when the Roman Empire waged a succesful war on Parthia, and as such was doubtless responsible for quite a few deaths. I demand the user with that name be site banned as the username could be offensive to descendants of the Roman and Parthian soldiers who died in the course of the campaign :D

/draws sword

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

A noble notion, but I think boards.ie already nannies users quite enough (just enough, in fact, to keep discussion reasonbly civil and keep boards.ie mostly out of legal quagmires).

This isn't something I can make a decision on for the record, in case anyone is under the impression I'm speaking with absolute authority here. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

mdebets wrote: »
    The user drmengele is clearly named after Josef Mengele, a physician at the Auschwitz concentration camp and probably one of the most brutal and sadistic war criminals.
    Could one of the moderators please delete this user, as I don't think that this is an appropriate user name on boards.ie.

Your nick mdebets is an anagram of "Bed Stem."
    I feel this is clearly aimed at stem cell research, in bed.
    And as boards.ie is a site based in a Catholic country I don't think that this is an appropriate user name on boards.
    Could one of the moderators please delete this user.

Also, mdebets is an anagram of "Beds Met," clearly aimed at flaunting the Catholic churchs policy on sex before marriage, you hussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Just remembered that the character in Greek mythology who my username is based on was a murderer and even committed regicide, so that's me shagged too I guess

Roman history and greek mythology, I just also realised how truly nerdy I am :(

His work on immunology and endurance did yield results, as does all science, what proof do you need?
    Yes all science yields results, I actually don't need that proved to me.
    I would like a reference to the lots of doctors who admire his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

FruitLover wrote: »
    Or perhaps they could raise it?

Dayum I did exactly what I corrected another user for doing. /facepalm

• Advertisement

Yes all science yields results, I actually don't need that proved to me.
    I would like a reference to the lots of doctors who admire his work.

I'm sure they all admit it publicly! I've only heard it as anecdotes from colleagues in medicine, but sufficient enough in number to make it obvious. The man was evil, his methods insane and torturous, but the results were useful.

Advertisement