Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive Username

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

(I usually do not use the rolleyes, but this post just screams it)

His eyes weren't rolling....cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Munya wrote: »
    His eyes weren't rolling....cheap.

:rolleyes:

:D

:rolleyes:

:D

Still not rolling.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I'm sure they all admit it publicly! I've only heard it as anecdotes from colleagues in medicine, but sufficient enough in number to make it obvious.
    Anecdotal evidence? I am convinced, Sir.

Seifer wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence? I am convinced, Sir.

You asked, I answered. I think his work yielded useful information and discoveries I hate him for what he did. But he doesn't have exclusive copyright over the name, and the user can continue to use it as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, there are far worse usernames around here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Should we let dr.mengele know about this thread? Give him a chance to defend himself?

I don't find it offensive myself. I can understand people not being happy with it, but deleting the user because of his name is a ridiculous notion.

It would be interesting if he posted in the WWII forum though! :pac:

Should we let dr.mengele know about this thread? Give him a chance to defend himself?

I don't find it offensive myself. I can understand people not being happy with it, but deleting the user because of his name is a ridiculous notion.

It would be interesting if he posted in the WWII forum though! :pac:
    Don't the admins have the power to change his sn?

Don't the admins have the power to change his sn?

If you mean username, then yes. vBulletin has this feature. It's a question of policy, not ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why change someones user name because 1 or 2 people out of thousands using the site are offended by it? Do you even realise how stupid the idea is?

Build a bridge, get over it.

If you mean username, then yes. vBulletin has this feature. It's a question of policy, not ability.
    Yes obiously, and if they admin had any decency they would, unless this site is not only populated by Jeff Albertsons it's controlled by them too.

And no one answered my question on is any username fair game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Leave the guy alone! He has made one post, and just like the list of dictators made towards the start of the thread, I bet he won't hang around much longer.

Politically corectness is teh ghey:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hmmm, let me give you an non-official mod answer and say that "no", any username is fair game.

I guess it really depends on history and how relevant a nick is. I'd bet that more than 50% of the users here didn't know who the real Dr Mengele was in real life so therefore there aren't a lot of users here demanding that the member be forced to change their nick.

Now if someone pops up tomorrow with "madeline_mcCann" as a nick there's a chance that it *could* be removed, much more so than Dr Mengele.

People often say that Boards.ie doesn't have 'free speech' and while that's true it doesn't mean that moderators are trained into how to kill of subjects that Boards Admins object against. And users are allowed create, in most cases, whatever usernames they feel like but their choice does determine to a large extent how other view them. Should Dr Mengele post crap about WWII then they'll probably get banned sooner than a member with a 'normal' nick. But should they keep the peace then they should be respected as much as the next member, whatever of their choice of nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not every username is fair game. For example - webdomain names and email addresses will usually be edited/changed.

Jay P wrote: »

Politically corectness is teh ghey:cool:

PCness is gay, this isn't about being PC it's about decency. Extreme anti-pc-ers are just as sad as Pc-ers.

Gordon wrote: »
    Not every username is fair game. For example - webdomain names and email addresses will usually be edited/changed.

Hilarius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

stovelid wrote: »
    Your final solution is a bit OTT, in fairness. There are other names on Boards that I don't like too, but as the last post said: where do you draw the line?

:pac:

Ponster wrote: »
    Now if someone pops up tomorrow with "madeline_mcCann" as a nick there's a chance that it *could* be removed, much more so than Dr Mengele.

I don't believe that, but if it is true it's nice to know some people still have consciences.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think little maddie has enough problems without us deleting her account.
    Though she could still post in Personal issues.

Were you born without or did you lose it, because I'd be happy to help you look for it.

Munya wrote:
    Were you born without or did you loose it, because I'd be happy to help you look for it.

You must be quite young.
    You know you can't loosen those nuts but I can lose respect for people who think they can.

• Advertisement

This thread needs a poll.

This thread needs a poll.

You strike me as a canny individual.
    But in fairness, poll or no, we all know the answer to this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Munya and dr. bollocko, there's no flirting on feedback anymore..

You strike me as a canny individual.
    But in fairness, poll or no, we all know the answer to this nonsense.

not for whether he should be banned or not, but whether people find it offensive. I just would like to see.

Gordon wrote: »
    Munya and dr. bollocko, there's no flirting on feedback anymore..

:eek:

Hang on. I will send a PM asking for an explanation and with an accompanying picture.
    I always wanted to flash gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

rrrright, if there happen to be any descendants of william wallace hanging about these parts, i'd just like to say i'm sorry......but he had it coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Ok ok I have to admit that was probably a little in bad taste!

dont get me wrong i laughed like...

Yeah.
    Gonnna think before posting for at least the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it's any consolation ...Mengele also make manure spreaders :D

http://www.mengele-agrartechnik.de/Der-MENGELE-Dungstreuer.280+M52087573ab0.0.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do we have a Paedophile or Kiddyfiddler on the members list? If not, why?

Stalin, Tito, Adolf, the Dr and all their namesakes should be sent to Prison for at least 50 years. That'll learn them.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement