Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive Username

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

not for whether he should be banned or not, but whether people find it offensive. I just would like to see.

If your going to have a poll then delete this ridiculous thread and see how many people even know who he was.

Some people are far too sensitive around here. It's a name get over it.

What next? Start deleting the accounts of people in Germany because after all they are the ones who started the whole thing. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

If your going to have a poll then delete this ridiculous thread and see how many people even know who he was.

Some people are far too sensitive around here. It's a name get over it.

What next? Start deleting the accounts of people in Germany because after all they are the ones who started the whole thing. :rolleyes:

My favourite cartoon character was Road Runner, I find your name offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

nevf - that joke was inappropriate for Feedback. Try lolocaust for such humour please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I'm half German, I find your post offensive! (Joke!:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    I'm half German, I find your post offensive! (Joke!:))

Half German...half naked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

esel wrote: »
    Do we have a Paedophile or Kiddyfiddler on the members list? If not, why?

Stalin, Tito, Adolf, the Dr and all their namesakes should be sent to Prison for at least 50 years. That'll learn them.

I dunno, The Jackson Five had some dodgy tunes, but nothing worthy of a custodial sentence IMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Half German...half naked

I'm never going to live that down am I? It'll follow me to my grave! It just goes to show, the internet can give you five minutes of fame, or a lifetime of abuse!!! :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mengle is not an inappropriate username. I may find it offensive and so may you, but it doesn't give you the right to be censor of usernames OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Mena wrote: »
    I bolded and underlined the areas of importance.

People should have a right to say whatever they want and make up whatever forum names they want. If it offends you, you're welcome to leave.

What I don't understand is people taking the time and energy to actually come here and bitch about it. That being said, you're perfectly entitled to, even if your offence offends me.

(All "you", "you're" and "your" and collective and not actually aimed at the quoted poster, but at all the whiners.)

er...I never said I was offended!!

I said I could see how people might be offended by the name...but I am not personally offended

The other point is that I am sure usernames are monitored and at times censored and certainly if you have not realised by now that while people may say what they want on Boards, its not a right and some are banned, posts deleted etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Munya wrote: »
    Yes obiously, and if they admin had any decency they would, unless this site is not only populated by Jeff Albertsons it's controlled by them too.

And no one answered my question on is any username fair game..

Build a bridge.....please?

By and large any user name is far game once you are not using it simply as a way to abuse someone. For example "Joey316isaprick" would not really be allowed as it's cheap abuse.

I am really wondering where all this post WWII hysteria has arisen from.

If someone wants to get offended over something then that is their look out tbh. Personally i have a great grandfather who was shot by firing squad during the Rising. Should i go around demanding that no English political or military figures names be allowed on boards?

No. Because that would be really sad imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

By and large any user name is far game once you are not using it simply as a way to abuse someone. For example "Joey316isaprick" would not really be allowed as it's cheap abuse.
    Potentially spammy names, like URLs (no, Gordon wasn't kidding) are also not allowed by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0724/newzealand.html

Didn't have a clue who he was. Had to google the name.
    I said I could see how people might be offended by the name...but I am not personally offended

If we start changing user names because of what we think might offend others (not ourselves now mind) we'll be referring to each other by number soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

But then the PC-whiners will start bitching about 911, 666, 777, 1916, 1914, 1939-1945, where does it end??

Vegeta wrote: »

Good point but I didn't suggest he change his name

My post was about how I think such names are basically trolling and I think we should just ignore them and move on

But then the PC-whiners will start bitching about 911, 666, 777, 1916, 1914, 1939-1945, where does it end??

:D I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Stop acting like a child. This is not political correctness gone mad.
    The internet is a place where you can do whatever the hell you want. However when you sign up to a site you have to follow their rules. For a site like boards.ie that is so heavily moderated to have no problem with the name is just bizarre. Most likely it stems from the fact that there are so few jews in Ireland.
    As I said before, I don't find this offensive but could understand it offending other people. You can't just react to things that only you find offensive, consider others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Stop acting like a child. This is not political correctness gone mad.
    As I said before, I don't find this offensive but could understand it offending other people. You can't just react to things that only you find offensive, consider others.
    Eh? Which is it?

Seifer wrote: »
    You can't just react to things that only you find offensive, consider others.

I prefer not to speak for others, personally.

You on the other hand.....

If others find it personally offensive, they can speak for themselves.

I prefer not to speak for others, personally.

If others find it personally offensive, they can speak for themselves.

I agree but surely at some level you have to act/consider differently?

Mods for example

Riskymove wrote: »
    I agree but surely at some level you have to act/consider differently?

Mods for example

Moderators are mostly very professional, that's why they have their moderator privileges. Same goes for HMods, CMods, SMods and Admins.

They are not there to babysit and hold hands, we are but flies on the giant cake that is boards.ie. Maybe some users think too much of themselves and get lese majeste feelings whenever another user commits a perceived slight against them.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. Outright and deliberately offensive names, sure. A user that registers a name like maddiemccannisdead for example, would be extracting the urine, imo.

But someone like drmengele, not really, I mean its a relatively common german surname and I'm sure there's a few doctors out there with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mdebets wrote: »
    Could one of the moderators please delete this user, as I don't think that this is an appropriate user name on boards.ie.
    You want the user deleted for his name? Man, that's worse than the Nazi's deleting people for their religon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

the_syco wrote: »
    You want the user deleted for his name? Man, that's worse than the Nazi's deleting people for their religon!

I know the internet's serious business and all that but the holocaust was probably slightly worse than your man's username.

Anyway, people who are offended should just use the ignore button and never see his name again.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. Outright and deliberately offensive names, sure. A user that registers a name like maddiemccannisdead for example, would be extracting the urine, imo.

But someone like drmengele, not really, I mean its a relatively common german surname and I'm sure there's a few doctors out there with it.

ah but there's the problem.....where's the line?... there ar epeople here who probably couldn't care less if someone did register a maddie username.

the only thing you can do is leave it to Mods...in this instance they have decided the name can stand...thats that..

If people are offended then they can let the User know...after all he may not be deliberately offending anyone.....or raise it with Mods (as done here)

otherwise just ignore it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

This is just getting ridiculus, all these replies over a user with one post since registration! The name was allowed, it is still there, get over it and move on, I know we are all just slacking off here but I am off to find something else on boards to get offended and morally outraged about, this chewing gum has lost it's flavour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

big deal, grow a thicker skin and get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Riskymove wrote: »
    ah but there's the problem.....where's the line?... there ar epeople here who probably couldn't care less if someone did register a maddie username.

the only thing you can do is leave it to Mods...in this instance they have decided the name can stand...thats that..

If people are offended then they can let the User know...after all he may not be deliberately offending anyone.....or raise it with Mods (as done here)

otherwise just ignore it

you're confusing Mods with Admins. Mods don't matter a ****e in the great scheme of things. I personally am not going to crusade against any name I think may be potentially offensive to someone, somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

since this user hasnt returned since, maybe we should find his address and all call round to his house to let him know he's been banned? perhaps we could light a burning cross in his garden to grab his attention and let him know that the internet is serious business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I can see this ending up as a thread in PI

"I expressed an opinion in the feedback section and people disagreed with me"
    "Sorry for the long post,
    I was disgusted with someones name and bla bla bla..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Can I just ask how this guy even came across this users name??. I mean the guy only has one post?.

Is the OP going around checking usernames as a hobby to see if they are PC or something?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

One post and drmangale his inspired a feedback thread of over 180 posts, gotta admit that's pretty impressive return on an investment. Should start a legend of the boards thread for him

Advertisement