Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEED HELP!

Options
  • 29-07-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I am looking to order broadband using my phone line. Digiweb/perlico/irish broadband have confirmed that they can give me 2/3mb where as eircom have stated that my line can only take 1mb , nothing more. Digiweb have sent me a screeshot of their line tests and it shows 3mb. Irish broadband have given the same. Are they using some other type of system ?.

It is DSL i have enquired about, but i just dont understand how all the other providers can say one thing and eircom say another.

The other providers have said that they are using the same eircom portal to check the bandwidth on my phoneline that eircom use.

What do i do ?...do i order 3mb from digiweb or just order 1mb with eircom ?.

PLease help as im confused.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you any idea how far you are from your exchange? While each line is unique is there any possibility of checking with neighbours who might have bb to see what their experience has been like?

My own instinct would be to go initally with Eircom. The initial contract is only for six months and when you establish what your line is capable of you can then move on if you want. It is quite easy to move up the speed provided your line is capable of it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Well, im about 1 mile from the exchange , but no more than that. The exchange was only recently upgraded within the past few weeks for broadband.

how can the other providers say that they can give me 3mb , when eircom say the opposite ?...is it a possibility that eircoms systems arent up to date ?.

what do ya think ?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Only eircom can test lines, none of the others do, so them showing you screenshots of their test is meaningless, as they can't test the line. All the resellers do is check eircom's database. Since the exchange has only been upgraded in the last few weeks, the results may not be complete. eircom will have the most accurate information, but whether or not they tell you the truth is another thing altogether.

Can you place an order for 3M on eircom's website? Is it just ordering on the phone that they're telling you it's only capable of 1M?

I can test my line on the eircom or any other providers phone line checker and it states its suitable for broadband.

If i try to order a 2mb bundle with eircom, it tells me that i cant due to the fact that my line will not be able to carry it. I can order 1mb without issue online or on the phone with them.

If thats the case, why are digiweb and the others telling me that they can offer me 3mb ?. I'd prefer not to deal with eircom as they are arrogant and unhelpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

thehorse wrote: »
    If thats the case, why are digiweb and the others telling me that they can offer me 3mb ?. I'd prefer not to deal with eircom as they are arrogant and unhelpful.

Perhaps they are unaware of the full line test results? Maybe all they see is that the line is suitable, but not to what level, and assume it'll do the full 3M. It is strange that a line as close as 1mile from the exchange wouldn't support 3M, but it could just be a very poor line, or it could have been equipment you have connected in your house causing higher noise.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I have gone ahead and just ordered 1mb from Eircom. I can upgrade at a later stage when more info is readily available from them.

Advertisement