Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Dublin Floods 9/8/08)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

In Dublin 15 myself, last time I saw anything this bad was during the really bad floods a couple of years ago. Was in BLanchardstown Centre when it started and it was like being there during the night with a marching drummming band walking over the roof. Then the roof to the centre itself started leaking leaving several big puddles on the floor. Not long afterwarsd several stores started to resemble swimming pools, both of the Boots stores, Zavvi and a few others had to shut and staff where mopping up alot of water. Last place I was in was M&S and while I was there water started coming under on of the service doors which staff tried to block with lots of paper towels. One of the managers was saying that below in the stock room or whatever there was over 2 feet of water. Fire brigade had just arrived obviously to help pump the place out. It really was hectic with cleaning staff running all over the place with mops and buckets.

The fun really began when I left the place, several roads around the area were badly flooded and the N3 just at the centre looked like it was down to one lane with a tail back of cars taking it in turns to navigate across the shallowest side. Many roads around Mulhuddart, Casltecurragh and that general area were also well under water, roads I've never seen before even with a puddle.
    And it's still bucketing down !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The rain eased here and then started puking it down again with a vengance. sFerics seem to have died down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Northside getting all the fun again :rolleyes:

Nothing more than a few faint rumbles here and a paltry 14.5mm in the last hour for a total of 20.2mm today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Estofex have just updated their forecast from no stroms to Level 1 for the whole of Ireland and UK.

http://www.estofex.org/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

nemonoid wrote: »
    Northside getting all the fun again :rolleyes:

Nothing more than a few faint rumbles here and a paltry 14.5mm in the last hour for a total of 20.2mm today.

You did better than me! Just 9.3mm in the last hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Starting to flood pretty bad in Swords

2747232864_9676774461.jpg

2747232852_489b3edf6a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Just following on from what I was saying about the N3, AA roadwatch are now advising people to either postpone their journey or take an alternative route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Bet you they'll head for north Dublin!
    I'm not getting any Sferics from them yet but on sat the tops have flattened.

GFS never picked this up for today, minimal Cape if any but after walking the dog earlier with an air temp of over 23C and Dp near 19C, there was a distinct thundery feel in the humid air. Buckets of sweat too.

Ts still going over the sea just off the coast.
    Rain has eased.
    38.1mm today.
    27.2mm for the storm.
    Max rain rate of 129.5mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

17:00 reports from http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp:

CASEMENT S 04 Gust 26 RECENT THUNDER 16 97 18.0 1000
    DUBLIN AIRPORT S 05 HEAVY THUNDERST 16 93 24.1 1000

Presumably 18:00 will be something similar.

Another almighty clap of thunder overhead. This storm still has mileage in it.

• Advertisement

40mm for the day, storm ongoing off the coast. About time we had a decent storm here. Lots of IC but appears just up the road was even more extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Some thunder here in Dublin 15 and flash of lightening now and again. Rain is extremely heavy.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Sferics easing off a tad but rumbles can still be heard.

Edit more lightning to my North. Lots of IC in this one
    Rain rate back upto 84mm/hr
    I was leaving sandyford as that was starting.
    I've rarely seen such a black sky in the rear windscreen heading down the M50.I knew ye had to be getting the works from the city centre northwards.

Lovely day down here by the way

Port Tunnel closed. M1, M50, N3 all at a stand still. Drumcondra, Artane, Ballyfermot & Celbridge are submerged. No power in Finglas East, Ballymun, Poppintree, St Margarets, Kinsealy, Malahide, & Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i have heard reports of major flooding in Blanchardstown cars abandoned etc

shamwari wrote: »
    Port Tunnel closed. M1, M50, N3 all at a stand still. Drumcondra, Artane, Ballyfermot & Celbridge are submerged. No power in Finglas East, Ballymun, Poppintree, St Margarets, Kinsealy, Malahide, & Portmarnock.

Norther commuter rail line closed due to small landslide near Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The floodlights were on in Croke Park during the Kerry - Galway game.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Rain picking up in Ayrfield (Dublin 13) again now, with some rumbles. No lightning as yet.

Lashing again now.
    RR over 40mm/hr
    42.7mm for the day.

Edit Torrential again now.
    Cul de sac under water, drains cant withstand this onslaught, never have seen the likes of it before.

71.4mm/hr
    43.7 mm so far. Jesus there is no stopping this.

Edit Edit, and this is only half as bad as what the SW got last week so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Gardaí warn of flash floods

Gardaí are warning motorists, particularly those travelling from Croke Park, that flash flooding has occurred in a number of areas around Dublin city.
    The N3 between Phibsboro and the Navan Road is particularly bad while Blackhorse Avenue is currently closed off to traffic. Motorists are also reporting flooding on M50 on the northside of the toll bridge.

The Port Tunnel in Dublin is currently blocked both ways. Ballyfermot Road at Liffey Gaels is currently impassable. Road users are being urged to slow down, stay a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you and be vigilant. Garda diversions are currently in place around many parts of Dublin city and long delays are to be expected. The football match between Shamrock Rovers and Sunderland due to be played in Tolka Park at 7.30pm has been cancelled due to the flooding.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0809/flood.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Met Eireann is going to have a few red ears this evening:)
    I hope someone in Dublin is making a video recording of this weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Looks like more thunderstorms heading for us here in Dublin at the moment. That band across the midlands is making good headway

http://www.meteorologica.info/freedata_lightning.htm

squonk wrote: »
    Looks like more thunderstorms heading for us here in Dublin at the moment. That band across the midlands is making good headway

http://www.meteorologica.info/freedata_lightning.htm
    Thats the storm over the Irish sea, that is very inaccurate. There is nothing to my west in terms of Sferics.

Met Eireann is going to have a few red ears this evening:)
    I hope someone in Dublin is making a video recording of this weather event.

I wouldn't be too quick to lash Met over his. Looking at the animated rainfall sequence on their site, the storm was another nondescript summer shower around Kildare / Meath Border to Dublin's west around 15:30. During each 30 minute update thereafter, the whole thing was almost doubling in size and intensity. As Snowbie said, there was no advance warning on the alerts, and nothing significant on the CAPE front. Although I too noticed a marked increase in humidity from just after noon onwards, the showers I got caught in around then were fairly light affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah that's pretty bad ranging alright. Looks like the rain is just bubbling up again as it goes. The radar echoes just seem to be getting more extensive.

Yet another flash and a rolling bang....

Just had 18.3mm of rain in the last hour (17.30 to 18.30) - this being the most I have recorded in an hour since I started in July 2007.

50mm now and the rain continues.

Clearance here to my south with bits of blue sky appearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just had 18.3mm of rain in the last hour (17.30 to 18.30) - this being the most I have recorded in an hour since I started in July 2007.

Only 6.2mm here in the same time, total now 26.9mm for the day. Noticeably colder now too, 5.5° drop between 16:00 and 17:00.

Advertisement