Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RECORDING FROM DJM 400 TO A APPLE MAC

• 29-07-2008 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any suggestions equipment wise? Does it go straight in to your itunes once you're finished recording?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

what programme are you recording into.you ant just run it in without a programme to record the audio.
    and whatever programme you use it more than likely wont go straight to itunes.youll more than likely have to bounce it from the programme and drag to itunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

I just got the macbook so am not too familiar with it yet. Basically, is there a cable i can plug into the mixers output that will record it on to the laptop? I'm not using any laptop based programs-just cdj's and a DJM 400

kay I guess I'll explain get a phono to headphone cable(headphone cable has an end on it like you would plug into your iPod headphone socket)
    the MacBook has a built in soundcard with an in and out.on a MbP its on the left hand side(not sure about a MacBook)

Now my point about software is this.the MacBook won't automagically know what your at.how will it record what your doing?
    you need a programme to record what's coming into your computer.
    garageband should be installed on your mac,use that

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mad Cyril

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

That's probably the best free recording software available for recording external audio. You'll need a seperate MP3 encoder if you want to export to iTunes though. All you need is a phono to 3.5mm jack and run it straight from your output into your line-in.

DJM 400 doesn't have a dedicated record output either which is a bit **** for a 400+ mixer.

well if you export the audio from GarageBand you can just drag it into iTunes and then convert it to mp3 in there

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks for that. So i will prob go to Aquarius/Sounds around-what price would the lead be? I've experimented with the garageband on the mac-its not exactly easy to use mind !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for that. So i will prob go to Aquarius/Sounds around-what price would the lead be? I've experimented with
    the garageband on the mac-its not exactly easy to use mind !

It's like 3-8 euro on the web depending on the brand/quality/length. Plenty of places in dublin have them for less than a tenner.

So yeah, to recap.

1. Buy that lead
    2. Plug it into the MICROPHONE port (not the headphone one) on your lappy.
    3. Download Audacity
    4. Make sure the INPUT is coming from the MICROPHONE PORT. You might even have a built in mic on the mac, I'm not sure, so make sure its the PORT you're selected.
    5. Hit the dirty big record button. Save when you're finished. You can either save it as like an AIFF or WAV and just drag it into iTunes to convert to m4a/mp3, or you can download the LAME encoder (mp3 encoder, google it - tiny file) and just click "Export to...mp3) from the file menu within Audacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Forza Fat Tony

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions equipment wise? Does it go straight in to your itunes once you're finished recording?

What's your opinion of the DJM400, Flynn-Dog? I'm planning on purchasing it along with a pair of CDJ400s when I get the fundage, but havent actually been able to test it or the cdjs out yet.

got a new job and was the first thing i got along with the cdj 400's. The mixer itself is quality and brilliant for entry level dj's, as all the effects are clearly marked out "flanger", "echo", "delay" etc which makes things so much easier than the old behringer i had. The best two channel mixer on the market hands down in terms of qaulity and price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ok you're in a position where you are in danger of getting lots of stuff you don't need.

Garageband or Audacity will record your mix.

Phono to mini-jack cable will go from your mixer to the line-in on your macbook.

Ideally you should look at a high quality interface as the macbook line-ins aren't really designed for high quality recording (as are most computer's audio inputs).

But right now you just need a phono to mini-jack cable. Go to Maplin. Cheap as chips. Do not go to a dj shop, you'll probably end up paying more.

Actually thinking about it you can get an RCA (phono) to minijack adapter in Maplin (saw them last time i was in there).

That's all you need right now, as garageband is already on your mac, and audacity is free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

jtsuited wrote: »

Isn't that what everyone else has been saying? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jimi_t wrote: »
    Isn't that what everyone else has been saying? :D

yeah but it's easier to read in one post. and maybe he and others could print it out, and recite it every time they're about to go buying stuff. or before bed time or something.

or frame it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

id go with what jimi t is saying,its the quickest,cheapest way to get the mixes going!

and the sound fidelity will be surprizingly good too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'd advise if you don't understand a lot about recording and basic sound engineering to google some info on wikipedia so to get the best quality possible and ensure you're levels are right for your mix, last thing you want is distortion all the way through a mix

Advertisement