Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice - paying UK tax, living in Ireland.

• 29-07-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can advise me, well my husband really, on where to go for help sorting out his tax.

Although still resident in Ireland, he's been working in the UK since last Autumn and paying into the UK tax system. He'll be finishing up there soon and needs to sort out his tax and hopefully get some of it back.

He has all sorts of forms he needs to fill out and we don't want to make any mistakes so wondering if anyone could recommend who we should see about sorting it out for us!

Or would we be better off going to someone in Newry (live near enough!) who would be familiar with the UK tax system?

Any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

Anyone ? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Well it depends.

Was he seconded out by an employer or did he just do some work in the UK and come back to Ireland.

His income will fall into the UK tax net by virtue of the fact that any employment duties located in the UK automatically give rise to a charge to UK tax (this is presuming he is in fact UK tax resident for the year in question)

Whether he can get the UK tax back depends on whether the income has been taxed in both the Irish and UK tax systems at the same time in which case a credit is available under the UK/Ireland tax treaty.

Thanks for that! :D

Should he see a tax consultant or an accountant about it?? Just to make sure its done properly??

Would someone in the North be a better bet???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's probably a small amount.

There is a matter of an effective rate calculation though.

If the UK tax is more than £1,000 I'd probably look into an accountant here.A northern accountant may not be familiar with filing a Form 11 which is required here.

If less than £1,000 I'd just request a UK Statment of Account from HMRS (UK Revenue) and submit that to your local tax office with a cover letter outlinging the circumstances- they'll do the calc for you though, I'd double check the figures if I was you.

Thank you, thank you!

Appreciate the advice. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement