Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of a building

Options
  • 29-07-2008 11:37am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am not sure where to start so could do with a pointer or two:

I am from a town in Co.Monaghan. I used to live on the main street ,in the second tallest building in the town. I want to trace the history of the building. We know that it was once the Masonic Lodge of the town,you can still see a faint outline of the Masonic seal at the top.(in that little trianglular area older buildings have) We believe that it dates back to possibly the early 1800s. I have a vague recolection of a small booklet giving us the history of the building about 20 years ago where it stated built in 1830,this booklet was lost around that time.

Can anyone tell me how I would go about getting info on the building? I have already emailed the Grand Lodge of Ireland asking for info and/or an oportunity to contact a memeber of the current Masonic Lodge in the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

William Butler as an architect, was very heavily involved in the development of the towns in Monaghan, especially of railway stations of the GNR. Do a Google search on William Deane Butler to see what it turns up for you.

Which town is it? There is a friend of mine very heavily involved / interested in the history / archaeology of the county, and is particularily interested in the Black Pigs Dike in Monaghan. Let me know and I'll see this guy in a few weeks and ask him.

Also there was a book published about the area by a chap by the name of Livingston that might be worth a search. I had read this book in the 70's and is worth the read.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Dummy wrote: »
    Which town is it? There is a friend of mine very heavily involved / interested in the history / archaeology of the county, and is particularily interested in the Black Pigs Dike in Monaghan. Let me know and I'll see this guy in a few weeks and ask him.
    It is Castleblayney. He should know the building then. It is the tall green one beside the current Bank of Ireland on the main street.

Got a reply from the Masonic Lodge. They will forward my mail onto a member of the current Castlrblayney Masonic Lodge.

Will look up that William Butler guy.Thanks a lot for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Hi Bramble,

I called to my friends house last night but he is away on a dig. But his wife told me that he had done a lot of checking on buildings in Monaghan - particularily in Clones.

But more interestong for you, he had done some investigations on the Masonic Lodge there. I'll post if I get talking to him before I go on holidays. Otherwise, it will be after I come back.

One of the other things she said to me was that Monaghan has a very good and active Historical Society. It may be worthwhile having a chat with them also.

D

Advertisement