Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie friendly restaurants

Options
  • 29-07-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Most of my friends are not vegetarian. So when it comes to eating out, I usually get left with very little choice as there is only one or two veggie options on each menu. Where have you been that gives good choice for vegetarians, but is not solely a vegetarian restaurant?

I was recently in a local indian restaurant in Naas, and came out thinking that they must have the largest range of veggie options than any other style of cooking. Not just curries with veg's thrown in instead of meat (a la chinese). Proper, made from scratch veggie options like palok paneer and makkhanwala. Many of their starters were veg too.

Another style I found great for veg options is mexican.

Hate carvery places, the last one I was in, I asked for a veg option and was handed fish. I also find chinese veg cooking to be very much below par - an afterthought nearly.

What style of restaurant do you think gives you most choice.

(Hi btw, my first post here *waving madly*)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Hello and welcome!

Yeah some resturants suck at doing veggie options, I've lost count how many
    times i've seen pasta and a tomato sause for a veggie option (and even worse as the only veggie option)
    Generally I stick to asian cusine - indian, thai, japanese etc are all pretty good at catering for vegitarians/vegans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

I'm a bit fearful about non-vegetarian resteraunts but when I do go to one they're usually Indian, mexican or chinese. The latter never being takeaways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

Welcome to the board. Chinese/Japanese are my usual haunts as it's easy enough to get veggie. One place that I really like as it has a separate (even if small) veggie menu is Darwin's in Aungier St. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Indian, Japanese, Italian, Mexican, Spanish (tapas) or Lebanese usually have good choices. Anything that's not carvery, hotel food, Irish, British or French food.

I went to Darwin's recently (or Darwins as they call it!) and it was excellent. I thought the veggie menu wasn't that small, at least it's not much smaller than the meat one. It's expensive but really worth it.
    Yamamori is really good too (on George's street), would be great for a group of friends on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Not only am I veggie but I'm allergic to tomatoes so not only is the boring pasta with a tomato based sauce very boring as a veggie option but also inedible if I don't want to be an ill puppy a few hours later......

But I find the following places in Dublin fairly okay:

Wagamama, even with the tomato allergy I have choices

Most Indian places have a good range of vegi dishes - they are usually very understanding about leaving out tomato in their dishes as well which is nice and means you know they are definitely fresh!

Cafe Bar Deli do a few nice salads and pizzas (I get them sans-tomato obviously).

Gourmet Burger - four different veggie burgers on the menu - I tried the puy lentil one - yum yum....I mean its still just burgers but if you are out with few friends and just want something simple you can't go wrong!

Marios in Sandymount and in Ranelagh not bad selection either, although it is not the most inspiring Italian menu ever and it never never never changes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paola L.

Hello guys
    this is my first post on Board.ie :-)
    please excuse me for languages mistakes, i'm italian, living in cork at the moment...and vegetarian.

in compare to italy i find very very fair the habit to highlight with the V the vegetarian dishes. i've never seen it in italy. that's very fair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

spaceylou wrote: »

Gourmet Burger - four different veggie burgers on the menu - I tried the puy lentil one - yum yum....I mean its still just burgers but if you are out with few friends and just want something simple you can't go wrong!
    Oh I didn't know that or would have tried the one in galway before it closed.
    I find indian the best(and only one I would really go to) as I am quite picky.
    Matar paneer, oh baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Paola L. wrote: »

in compare to italy i find very very fair the habit to highlight with the V the vegetarian dishes. i've never seen it in italy. that's very fair.
    I'm heading to italy at the end of the month and am a bit nervous about that! Is it difficult to get a veg meal in restaurants?
    Matar paneer, oh baby!
    +1, indians are the best! Saaaag alooooooo FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'm heading to italy at the end of the month and am a bit nervous about that! Is it difficult to get a veg meal in restaurants?

Not at all.... obviously there's pizza and pasta (and not the boring stuff!) but there's plenty of pannis and other snacks too. Some traditional trattatorias (spl?) will be heavy on boar and different hams but even in rural Italy we've never had a problem. I'd be a regular visitor btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paola L.

no i wouldnt say that is difficult to have a veg meal but you wont find the V on the menu... so you have to ask... is there meat/fish...?
    it could be better if you specify "im vegetarian" (sono vegetariano), dont eat any meat/fish... not evan ham... that happen often to me, i say "im vegetarian" and my dad (evan now after 10 years) answer oh well you can eat the ham.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

HAHA, you can eat the ham :D I was told a few days ago that chicken isn't real meat. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Nature Boy wrote: »
    I went to Darwin's recently (or Darwins as they call it!) and it was excellent. I thought the veggie menu wasn't that small, at least it's not much smaller than the meat one. It's expensive but really worth it.

I would love to find a new place to eat so would really like to know what sort of dishes they have on the veggie menu in Darwins if you can remember?

I can only seem to eat in proper veggie restaurants, Indians, Wagamamas or Milanos as everywhere else seem to use cheese or meat stock or cook the food in oil with meat etc in their so called vegetarian dishes. Really gets my goat.

Oh Saba are good too and don't like to use fish stock in their veggie meals (or so they told me in an email) like other Asian places usually do.

Advertisement