Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Tuam

Options
  • 29-07-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all, I have just recently acquired a post in Tuam for a year, ill be starting at the end of August. Just wondering would people recommend living in Tuam or Galway??? Is renting/sharing widely available in Tuam and what kind of town is it? Sorry but Im cluless never been there not even for the interview:pac:... I'd appreciate your thoughts!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

dids6457 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have just recently acquired a post in Tuam for a year, ill be starting at the end of August. Just wondering would people recommend living in Tuam or Galway??? Is renting/sharing widely available in Tuam and what kind of town is it? Sorry but Im cluless never been there not even for the interview:pac:... I'd appreciate your thoughts!!

Well you could live in Galway as while the traffic is brutal you will probably be ok seeing as you will be going in when everyone is going out and vice versa although if you are inside the city you will hit traffic.

Tuam does not seem to be the worst although I don't particularily like it seeing as I'm from a neighbouring town and their competition. My town is better than Tuam of course. Much much better.

Tuam has a bad name for knacks. There's loads of them. But there is nice places in Tuam I must say and always surprised me recently in the last few years just how big the outskirts have become.

I haven't been out there but I'd imagine it's just the one or two nightclubs type jobbie where everyone knows everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I've been living in Tuam now for 2 years and I commute to the city. In fairness it's not bad. It rep in my option is dated and there is a nice quiet feel to the town. The commute time 30 mins, but there are plenty of places to rent.

Saying that there are some great pubs in the town, in fact there are loads of pubs. The leisure center is also of a high standard (Im a member) and the shops are ok. If you need a Tesco, there's one 15mins away in Claremorris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    I've been living in Tuam now for 2 years and I commute to the city. In fairness it's not bad. It rep in my option is dated and there is a nice quiet feel to the town.
    Saying that there are some great pubs in the town, in fact there are loads of pubs. The leisure center is also of a high standard (Im a member) and the shops are ok. If you need a Tesco, there's one 15mins away in Claremorris.

Are you better off going to Claremorris than Galway? I know the one in Claremorris is better than the Galway store anyway.

Tesco have annouced a major expansion in Ireland though so I'd imagine there will be one in Tuam soon enough.

Is costcutter's the best supermarket in the new shopping centre at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

We moved to Abbeyknockmoy last year, a few miles out of Tuam - a 15 min leisurely drive into town.
    I like Tuam - yes, you can see that there are some run-down areas, but the town has a comfy, homely feel & house/rent prices are LOADS cheaper than Galway!

I find that Supervalue O'Tooles is better value than Costcutter - and more choice too!

Dids - have you looked on the Daft website at the rented property? There's a few on there that we looked at when my eldest daughter moved over & they are very nice - brand new & furnished & a few mins walk from the town.
    (She ended up taking a new bungalow in Abbey village so she could be nearer to us - will we ever get rid of her?? :p)
    Julie.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tuam is a grand place...there are a lot of knacks and foreigners but they only fight among themselves, and even then, that doesn't happen often. There are loads of houses going up all sides here...take a look at estates like Woodfield, Cricket
    Fields, College Green and the Meadows...Why would you look for a Tesco when there is a Lidl? And there is talks of Tesco coming here, something about it in the herald yesterday. Where exactly did you get the job? Might help me give you places to look close to your area of work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

Would def recommend Tuam, you'll save a fortune on travel expenses and rent over living in Galway, plus you're close enough to town to have most of the benefits. Tuam has everything you need to have a comfy life, video shop, several flavour takeaways and three supermarkets, and some of the best pubs I've been in. Thought I was going to die when i moved from Galway, but have settled in nicely. Good luck with the new job OP, and let us know what you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Moved to Tuam 6 Months ago from Dublin.
    Nice town, close to Galway, dirt cheap rent (1800sq ft house for 160 a week)
    And nice athmosphere as long as you dont plan to go out at night, its a bit dodgy once the sun goes down.

Advertisement