Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repair of 08 opel astra

Options
  • 29-07-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Had a bit of an accident lately, ran into the back of an 08 opel astra. Very minor impact but the bumper was cracked and needs to be replaced. The astra driver got back to me with a quote from the main opel dealer for the repairs. New bumber and a bit of repair underneath the bumper for 1200 euro. Do people think that this is a bit of a ripp-off? Would a private garage repair it cheaper? Would this claim icrease my insurance much?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Sounds about right. Its the labour and paint that brings up the total especially if it was metallic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rear end damage can work out quite expensive to fix as there could be chassis damage, rear bumper shock damage and other unseen stuff so take the quoted price.
    Go with the 1500 and if at all possible do it privately (but do let your insurance company know of the incident in case a personal injury comes back to haunt you)!
    If paying yourself, ask for a receipt from whomever you give the money to!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks for the replys.
    So am I better off paying the 1200 myself or letting my insurance look after it. Would my insurance go up much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

The driver you hit gets to choose where his car is fixed, not you, but €1,200 sounds OK.
    Your no claims bonus will step back but you'd be unlikely to lose it completley
    for a claim of this size (providing you have a full no claims bonus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A private garage might do it a little cheaper but you have no choice on where it gets done, almost everyone will get it done at a main dealer for their own peace of mind and because they're not paying for it. The quote sounds about right - someone hit our old Astra last year and it needed a new rear bumper, €1390 including labour etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Doesn't sound to bad, someone hit the farther-in-laws new car late last year, €4.5k of damage. Pay it yourself and maybe trow the guy a few quid for deprecation (sp), insurance copmanies will do this for car less than 4 /5 years old.

Advertisement