Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick release brakes problem

Options
  • 29-07-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

So I was finally up to cycling to work today following my leg surgery in June. It's been 2 years since I used to cycle to work all the time but it felt great even though the leg is a bit tight after it but ok overall for first real work it's done in 6 weeks. From Crumlin Hospital to Sandyford took 33 minutes in the saddle (timer auto pauses at lights) so I was happy with that for a first time out. I'll be taking a less direct route in future though to get onto better roads with slightly less lethal cycle paths.

But I had a problem with my quick release wheel and brakes. It seems the last time I put it back on it's more towards the lefthand brake pad (looking from the saddle) and it rubs off it quite a bit. So I took off the wheel and tried putting it back on again a bit more centred within the brakes but no joy. Eventually I had to leave the quick release lever on the brakes up so I could get the clearance to let the wheel move freely. The brakes still work though I doubt this is smart so I took it handy enough when braking.

Could it be that my whole front brake mechanism has moved a bit to the right and needs to be reset? Just checking that I'm not gonna mess it up before I do anything.

I lost one of the poxy springs off the front wheel quick release axle when I took it out but the wheel still seems to be held tight - should I be concerned about that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

are your brakes V type?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You'll be grand with just pushing the calliper over so it's centred on the wheel -they can get knocked about a bit, and there's no worry about knackering it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Cheers, I should have said it's a Giant SCR 2.0 road bike so I'm pretty sure they're tiagra brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

If you cant get the wheel centered on the fork i would have a closer look. maybe the fork got a knock on it some how and sent it off a little. firstly make sure the quick release skewer is straight and aint bent a little. Next make sure no damage to hub. Also check for a buckled wheel (this would send the wheel from side to side off centre when spinning).

Once the wheel is centered it is easy enough to adjust the brakes as you want.

Advertisement