Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start??

• 29-07-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

This might be in the wrong forum, if it is please feel free to move.

Have recently been thinking of travelling - a lot.

I'm 24, engaged and own my house (well we have a mortgage). I'm basicially settled. We're both thinking now - what else - we both want more and have been talking about fecking off for a year. But we have no idea where to start!

So many questions - do we try to sell or try to rent the house, how much money would we need to go away for the year on a tight budget. What are the chances of us getting work in another country like australia or new zeland - would it be legal for us to do that?

What were your experiences and were they worth going away from your family and friends for a year? What were the pitfalls that you'd warn others about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Start by deciding to go its worth it

Helena on the last 2 months of a year away from pretty much a similar situation.

We rented our house for the 12 months which takes away the worry of mortgage payments. Luckily i gt a few mates to rent it which is even better as you know hey wont tear it apart.

Work visas for Oz are available for 45 quid me thinks online. Work is easy enough to come by over there. Fruit picking is always a popular one with transient workers.

Budget wise from my trip I would say over budget you will spend it. i have heard people doing it for a year on as little as 12000.

Family yeah you miss them but get them a web cam and skype account and once you see them in a net cafe you'll remember why you left no honestly I have found its takes away any real missingness to see them on screen.

Pitfalls we have been really lucky and have had no massive bad luck. you will always get up and down accom and be the attempted victim of the odd scam or overcharge but nothign holiday ruining.

Most importantly book with a good company dont over pack we did. happy to give any advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I wouldn't go selling the house because of years traveling. Would definitely look at renting it, would suggest using an agent or ask a family member could they take care of it while you are away (after you have found lodgers) and maybe offer them a cut of the rent in exchange.

Is it legal to work in Australia or New Zealand? Yes once you have the correct visa. For Oz the best one for you would be the Working Holiday Visa, its cheap, easy to get, quick to get (48 hours), allows you to work in any one job for six months, gives you a year in Oz. New Zealand have something similar.

Is it worth it? I would say as would the majority of people who have spent the year in Oz and done it right. Will you miss your family and friends, off course. How much will depend on what type of character you are, and you relationships with your friends family. It's easy to keep in touch.

Pitfalls? Just a couple of things I would warn you about. Don't over plan the trip, it leads to trouble and stress. Be flexible and open. Don't blow all your money in one city, you will end up stuck there as its hard to earn enough money over there save for more traveling. Try keep as much money as possible that you bring over for actually traveling and experiencing the country.

As for a budget again it depends on you. I brought over about €6000 and managed to do everything I wanted with that money and the money I earned over there. However I would simply say save as much as you can and work with that.

If you want a look at my here in Oz click here

Advertisement