Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Sat-Nav Hardware?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,

Am after a sat-nav for someone but not interested in the software or maps etc.
    Need one that you can easily access windows CE and use whatever software you like. One that the gps port is not locked out on.

Needs to be 4.3" screen too. TMC and Bluetooth not strictly necessary.
    Can anyone recommend a good one that is fairly cheap?

With TomTom or Garmin can you easily access winCE to use other software?

I have a route 66 chicago and works great for this. Not sure about the R66 maxi though access windows CE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

What about the binatone A430 thats out now in the argos catalogue?

also looking at Navman S50. Nearly €200 here but about €135 in northern ireland dixons!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think you're coming at this from the wrong angle, you're asking about a SatNav but then you say you're not interested in the s/w or the maps and you mention WinCE which by the way is like talking about DOS 3.3, that's years out of date. The Microsoft operating system (OS) for mobile devices is called 'Windows Mobile'.

It sounds like you want a Windows Mobile device which has some SatNav capability so I suggest that you look at the devices at the link below. Garmin and Tom Tom devices use a proprietary OS so you can't load up any old s/w on them.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/devices/default.mspx

If the device you select doesn't have a built-in GPS receiver, don't worry because you can buy Bluetooth GPS receivers for 30-50 euros and they can feed the positional data to the mobile device. You're best bet is probably to install Route 66 on a Windows Mobile device and use either the built-in GPS receiver or purchase an external Bluetooth GPS receiver, they're about the size of a matchbox or smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

coylemj wrote: »
    ... and you mention WinCE which by the way is like talking about DOS 3.3, that's years out of date.
    Not true, actually. WinCE is actually a modular, componentized OS that forms the underpinnings for a variety of other higher level OS's such as the 3 Windows Mobile variants, and which is very much still available. I'm using a specialized rugged WinCE based (i.e. very definitely not Windows Mobile) tablet-style PC from Panasonic at the moment on a project I'm working on. Also some, on the surface at least, dedicated, SatNav devices are actually running WinCE underneath as it's underlying operating system, it's just that as a user you don't see that.

Advertisement