Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impromptu dublin Beers this weekend

Options
  • 29-07-2008 1:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody up for it?Venue to be decided,suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Degsy wrote: »
    Anybody up for it?Venue to be decided,suggestions welcome!

I was thinking about this over the last few days.

This weekend I'm tied up with work for starters.

But I was thinking, if we're to have a Dublin beers that we should avoid the city centre (although Darkey Kellys is a great spot for Karaoke & ballads - plus no clutchies or tourists).

I think it should be either someone's local (mines Campions on the Malahide Rd) or something like 'The Grave Diggers', ie a landmark pub.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hey Mairt you've mentioned Darkey Kelly's a few times. It's not a bad place but it was and still is a big dealer hang out. That's not too say that there's dealing going on in there just that a lot of the clientel drive white '03 lexus's.
    That's a v. good idea about locating it outta city. The Royal Oak(opp.kilmainham garda st.)? It's a pub a lot of people don't know exists and it's a real education! Also it's not far from city and Luas. Walsh's in Stoneybatter? Harry Byrnes clontarf? (Just throwing one or two in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

humberklog wrote: »
    The Royal Oak? It's a pub a lot of people don't know exists and it's a real education! Also it's not far from city and Luas. (Just throwing one in).

Lazy git. It's your local, no? :P

It would want to be a small meet-up too! Great pub, though.

stovelid wrote: »
    Lazy git. It's your local, no? :P

It would want to be a small meet-up too! Great pub, though.
    Pah! Rumbled. However for the reasons pointed out it could be a good choice. I was good enough to throw the net a bet further in the other two suggestions.
    Trying to think of real decent pubs outside of city. I know people would laugh but the Penthouse in Ballymun is a brilliant boozer for a good night out. Really friendly and party atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

However for the reasons pointed out it could be a good choice.

Agree with that. Deadly pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I'll be in Dublin but i dont know any of ye!!

I'll be moving back to Dublin in 3 weeks so now is a good a time as any i suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Having the Beers in a pub that is someone's local will immediately limit the number of people who'll go. Boardsies will go into the city centre for a meet up; they won't trek out to a suburb that they may not know especially if they've no way of getting home at the end of it except for a taxi.

Plus there've been a good few impromptu boards beers over the past couple of weeks so having this one in the city centre means there's the option of meeting up with other boardsies afterwards.

Just my 2c.

Hey Mairt you've mentioned Darkey Kelly's a few times. It's not a bad place but it was and still is a big dealer hang out. That's not too say that there's dealing going on in there just that a lot of the clientel drive white '03 lexus's.
    That's a v. good idea about locating it outta city. The Royal Oak(opp.kilmainham garda st.)? It's a pub a lot of people don't know exists and it's a real education! Also it's not far from city and Luas. Walsh's in Stoneybatter? Harry Byrnes clontarf? (Just throwing one or two in).

Yup, if you wanna see who's gonna be on the front page of next weeks Sunday World you go to DK's any Sunday for the Ballads, but its a great little boozer on Friday and Saturday's.

Saturdays is brilliant, ballads all day - break for pub grub - then its a cover band from 10 - closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Stargal wrote: »
    Having the Beers in a pub that is someone's local will immediately limit the number of people who'll go. Boardsies will go into the city centre for a meet up; they won't trek out to a suburb that they may not know especially if they've no way of getting home at the end of it except for a taxi.

Have to agree with that. There's also a load more options in the city centre.

I'll go but if possible I'd prefer not having a 20 minute taxi drive to get there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

TBH,i hate most city centre pubs but from a convenience point of view its probably the best venue,especially when it comes to getting home later.I know a place that does free cocktails but it needs to be booked and i need 20 names.

• Advertisement

I know a place that does free cocktails but it needs to be booked and i need 20 names.

Free cocktails?

I'm suspicious now.

TBH,i hate most city centre pubs but from a convenience point of view its probably the best venue,especially when it comes to getting home later.I know a place that does free cocktails but it needs to be booked and i need 20 names.

Ya bleed'n queer.

Dinter wrote: »
    Free cocktails?

I'm suspicious now.

Straight up.My workplace has been tearing the arse out of it as a venue:)

There's a brand new boozer opened on George's st. called the Shebeen. Directly opposite the George. There's live music downstairs in the evening and a smart smoking section at the back (which looks across to the stag's head). As there have been more pubs closing than opening in our fair city maybe it'd be a good idea to promote something positively.
    Don't know who's running it but the guy that owns cafebardeli <SNIP> and the Golden knob <SNIP> were both there on opening night last week (Free Booze most of evening!). It's a roughly thrown together place not without a little charm. Does a spot of food too.

Mairt wrote: »
    Ya bleed'n queer.

Why didnt you suggest holding it the george,you're well-know enough!

He prefers the 'edgier' Dragon.

Apparently I'm barred.. Last time I went there the bouncer got lippy and said "Sorry Mairt, I'm gonna have to block your passage"..

What else could he have mean't?.

Apparently I'm barred.. Last time I went there the bouncer got lippy and said "Sorry Mairt, I'm gonna have to block your passage"..

What else could he have mean't?.

I hear they bent over backwards to accomadate you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Apparently I'm barred.. Last time I went there i wore this.

DSCF0094aa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if yizzer going to the gravediggers I'd be on for it, not really a place ye'd stay for the night in but there's the brian boru just up the road. Havent been there in years. And sure the porterhouse north is just across the way and I've never tried it out. And there's the red parrot at t'other end of the withworth road....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bambi wrote: »
    if yizzer going to the gravediggers I'd be on for it, not really a place ye'd stay for the night in but there's the brian boru just up the road. Havent been there in years. And sure the porterhouse north is just across the way and I've never tried it out. And there's the red parrot at t'other end of the withworth road....
    The Red Parrot! Ever been there?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's been a long time since i was in dere, nearly ten years maybe

de extended family used to meet up there on stephens' day for scoops. Old school kinda place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Might be able to trod along. Do ye all know each other in real life?
    (i'd second the phibsboro suggestions including gravedigger or in the city centre)

And how will anyone know whose who to meet unless everyone wears nametags :) or someone like Mairt wears that distinctive costume as a sign? :D

gurramok wrote: »
    Might be able to trod along. Do ye all know each other in real life?
    (i'd second the phibsboro suggestions including gravedigger or in the city centre)

And how will anyone know whose who to meet unless everyone wears nametags :) or someone like Mairt wears that distinctive costume as a sign? :D

Nope I don't know anyone irl from boards.

I'd say though I'll be easy to spot as I'll be on my own desperately looking around for others!

Anyway Degsy (the media whore ;)) has about 5,000,000 pictures on KYN so if you've a look there you'll spot him in a pub easy enough!! :pac:

Advertisement