Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muppets!

• 29-07-2008 1:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Wasnt sure how else to title this thread! I was driving home yesterday (in my cage, sorry!) and up beside came this lad on his yamaha dirtbike. It made my blood boil.

He had a dublin jersey on, pair of tracksuit bottoms and nike trainers. He had a helmut on. He was carrying a female pillion. She had a tracksuit on. (helmut too)

I was going to roll down the window and ask him wtf he was doing! It was city centre and he's dressed like an accident waiting to happen!!

maybe Im just ranting, call me selfish but if he hits the deck like that, he is going to be injured, claim off his insurance and put up everyone elses insurance as a result.

[/rant]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Just let them find out the hard way!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youve heard of the darwin awards? Youve just seen 'em in action.

Unfortunately some people just cannot be protected from their own stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Your one on the back could claim off him as a pillion but its tough look for himself, these guys get bitten once and twice shy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It was a hot day.

The vast majority of bikers will have done something similar at one stage. I know I certainly have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mairt wrote: »
    It was a hot day.

The vast majority of bikers will have done something similar at one stage. I know I certainly have.

yep! loads about the last few days. as you say,everyone has done it at some point,i know i ditched the jacket for a hoody on sunday for a short beer run to the shops,felt great tbh. mind you,i still had my gloves on and i'd always have something long sleeved on,not that it's gonna offer much protection but better than nothing. it is sorta understandable in a country like this with the climate we have,days like last weekend are few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

God I can only long for the weather Ireland is having at the moment :(

Its in the late 20's , early 30's here and I can't ride my bike because I refuse to go out without full protection. Even with my light Hein Gericke pants on its absolute torture.

The majority of casual bikers here (weekend warriors etc) wear nothing more than flip flops and sleeveless t-shirts when they ride. It makes me cringe when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I saw a pillion there on Sunday who was wearing jeans and a biker jacket.

Okay says you, but she was also wearing a little handbag thing over one shoulder and a nice expensive (assumed) camera over the other shoulder.

I followed for a bit waiting for either to slip off, but then got bored and left them to it.

Anyone find/drive over a camera on the M50 on Sunday???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭gipi

Like Ktric, I won't go out without full protective gear and cringe when I see the "seaside brigade" in t-shirt, flipflops, shorts or whatever. I wrote off a bike many years ago, thankfully I suffered nothing more than a broken bone or two, but was glad I was padded up!

As the saying goes "easier to have a shower than a skin graft".....

gipi wrote: »
    I wrote off a bike many years ago, thankfully I suffered nothing more than a broken bone or two, but was glad I was padded up!

As the saying goes "easier to have a shower than a skin graft".....

Been there done that ;)

It seems people have to learn the hard way before it hits home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

faceman wrote: »
    I was going to roll down the window and ask him wtf he was doing! It was city centre and he's dressed like an accident waiting to happen!!

Why? It's their ass on the line and no one else's. You (and I) might not agree with their fashion choices but IT'S THEIR CHOICE.

The last thing we fuppin' need is more holier than thou types makng biking out to be even more dangerous than it is.

Have you ever been down in the south of France, etc. in the summer? All sorts of bikes from mopeds to Goldwings ridden by people in shorts and flip-flops. It's really really not a big deal. We should be worrying about training for riders (and drivers) after all, armour is no good to you unless you crash, and you're still better off not crashing.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

no need for the flip flops and shorts the last few days.:eek:

i've noticed a sudden decrease in the numbers of bikes out and about the last few days,almost wish i had a cage:eek:

ALMOST:p

The OP will hate me for this one..

But here's me a few years ago wheeling a Honda 650 Dominator, wearing a hoodie, jeans, trainers and no gloves :D

Crap quality photo, it was taken on a phone camera when I was overtaking a mates car :P

attachment.php?attachmentid=60911&stc=1&d=1218063631

Mairt, that sort of carry on is only really tolerated whilst driving a Dominator, so you're safe for the moment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

so a guy driving in this morning on an africa twin with his misses on the back & she was wearing a miniskirt, would hate to see them having an accident (not really complaining as she had real nice legs :-) )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mairt wrote: »
    The OP will hate me for this one..

GodDangIt!!! Im all out of face/palm photos!! :p

GodDangIt!!! Im all out of face/palm photos!! :p

Actually I fell off a bike (another wheelie) once while not wearing a helmet!.

It was winter, and plent of ice on the ground.

I was showing a mate how to wheelie off the gas (drive to the point where you should change gear, back off the throttle and whack it open again) and how to change gear while up on the balance point (clutchless gear change).

One of the lads pointed out that the road was very icy, I said "HA, I laugh in the face of ice'' (still slagged over this one).. I brought the bike up through 2nd & 3rd gear, hit ice and SMACK I was on my arse sliding!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

ha ha :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

...mairt now runs the safety division of the bike cops...!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Wasnt sure how else to title this thread! I was driving home yesterday (in my cage, sorry!) and up beside came this lad on his yamaha dirtbike. It made my blood boil.

He had a dublin jersey on

[/rant]

At least he was a gaelic man anyway. The Dubs for Sam. Come on you boys in blue!!!

...mairt now runs the safety division of the bike cops...!! :p

Actually you'd be very surprised at what I do ;)
    PM me if you want to know

• Advertisement
Advertisement