Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain why we need Bentley?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I would've thought we were well covered on the flank with the likes of LENNON, DOS SANTOS, BOATENG, TARRABT, and if needs be - BALE, GILBERTO HUTTON.

Theres far more obvious areas to strenghten, Reminds me of Jol at his worst: when he went through an addiction to buying promising young english attacking midfielders when we already had more than enough. Reidy and Routledge know what im talkin bout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

it appears that we are making the same mistake as last year...we bought bent for £16 million when we already had 3 excellent strikers....It appears that they cant get the players in the positions they need (left midfield) (defensive midfielder) so they went for players that are likelly to go up in value. Right now we need quiet a few players in different positions, but i doubt we will get capel, arshavin & defensive midfielder.

I hate to say it but we could be in for a long slog this season....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

I would've thought we were well covered on the flank with the likes of LENNON, DOS SANTOS, BOATENG, TARRABT, and if needs be - BALE, GILBERTO HUTTON.

Theres far more obvious areas to strenghten, Reminds me of Jol at his worst: when he went through an addiction to buying promising young english attacking midfielders when we already had more than enough. Reidy and Routledge know what im talkin bout.

bentley is better than all our left mid options (bar maybe dos santos who i dont see being a left mid as much as support for berba). boateng and tarrabt are poor, lennon is right sided and gilberto and bale are defenders. and bentley is better than malbranque. he;d be a great buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Hate to break it to you ditpoker but Bently is a natural right winger!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

:eek:

Theres far more obvious areas to stregh, Reminds me of Jol at his worst: when he went through an addiction to buying promising young English attacking mid fielders when we already had more than enough. Reidy and Routledge know what im talkin bout.

Totally agree with you - i have made this point before - and for anyone who saw last nights game I think it should be bloody obvious that we don't need him.

However what also should have been blatantly obvious from last nights game was that fact that seriously need another CB (Hudd and Zok as back up's I think not!)

Also how lightweight our midfeild looks without a "good" Defencive Midfielder with strength and tacking ability (sorry Zok, you ain't the man)

All of this should tell "Ramos" what he needs to do - however as we well know, a lot of this is more about business than football (should be the same but it ain't) and we could end up with the "great English Investment" namely Bentley!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

We need someone who can take a decent free kick with his right boot. Jenas is absolutely rubbish at this, and Thudd is very hit and miss. We also need someone who can beat a man and put a decent cross in from the right. Bentley would score way more goals than Lennon, would provide far more crossess, and plenty more assists. He was excellent for a naturally tough and defensive Blackburn and I think he'd be excellent for a more free-flowing team like us.

Put it like this - if it means we get the best out of Lennon for a whole season it would be worth it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

SuprSi wrote: »
    We need someone who can take a decent free kick with his right boot. Jenas is absolutely rubbish at this, and Thudd is very hit and miss. We also need someone who can beat a man and put a decent cross in from the right. Bentley would score way more goals than Lennon, would provide far more crossess, and plenty more assists. He was excellent for a naturally tough and defensive Blackburn and I think he'd be excellent for a more free-flowing team like us.
    Put it like this - if it means we get the best out of Lennon for a whole season it would be worth it!

Have to agree with SuprSi on this one. He'd be good for 10-15 goals a season in an attacking side like us and his final delivery is far better than Lennon.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Put it like this - if it means we get the best out of Lennon for a whole season it would be worth it!

Have to agree with SuprSi on this one. He'd be good for 10-15 goals a season in an attacking side like us and his final delivery is far better than Lennon.

Im talking about PRIORITIES here. We always get them wrong at Tottenham. That's why supporting spurs is so frustrating, we always are abour 3 players short of being genuine contenders but then we blow the cash in the wrong areas.

When we need a centre back we buy a centre forward (2007, Bent)

When we need a defensive midfielder, we buy 3 attacking ones (2008, Dos Santos, Modric...Bentley?)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I agree with you on we have more urgent needs - but dont tell me Boateng, Gilberto, Tarrabt are part of solution. They would all be on my exit list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think he'll be a great signing, we are over paying because he is english but i still think he def is worth a punt seeing as his form with blackburn has been so high.

I can really see him and the new lad doing well, two new strikers who do well a CB and CM and i think we wont be far off a top 6 finish this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'm very excited about the prospect of Bentley at Tottenham next season.

Lovely footballer, great passer, great vision, great delivery from wide areas, excellent on set pieces, good on the ball and has a decent shot on him. Very fit too, can run all day. I think he's gonna be a real star player at Spurs.

Should be just about coming into the prime of he career too.
    I'm expecting big things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And he's been confirmed -

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/bentleytothelane.html

Pretty pointless signing by Spurs imo, mainly cause I wanted him to follow Sparky to City!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

I think it's a crucial signing for THFC. We could have potentially 4 or 5 other attacking players with no premiership experience this season.

Bentley is the instant starter with PL experience and we know exactly what we are going to get. I have a hunch that our shape will change this season and Lennon might be playing in a front three, Bentley as one of the 3 midfielders behind him.

Bentley's delivery is far better than anything we currently have in the team.

Pavlychencko/Milito/Bent

Taarabt/Modric/Dos Santos - Ashravan/Lennon

JJ - Zok/Hudd - Bentley

I think that could be the basics of how we play. Obviously we have loads of other players and options but that seems to be a Ramos style of formation.

Bentley will be a key figure this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'll say one thing with the pace of dos santoa/lennon/jenas and passing of bently and Hudd there are going to be some balls sprayed over the top next year, can you imagine if we kept berba or bought a silimalr player who could hold up the ball and play through the runners, think we'd be one of the most exiting teams in europe if we could gel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Hate to break it to you ditpoker but Bently is a natural right winger!!

wooops!! ignore me, i dont know what im talking about! probably why i support spurs! :p sorry.

whenever i watched bentley last two seasons i've been impressed so delighted he's moved to spurs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Bentley is in a whole different league to Lennon and is a huge step up for us on the right. It's a great signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

hotspur wrote: »
    Bentley is in a whole different league to Lennon and is a huge step up for us on the right. It's a great signing.

Spot on - after 45 minutes i reckon this guy could be a serious signing for us - thankfully.

How much for Lennon? I'd be interested in doing a deal to move him too!!

Hate to say i told yous so lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Well at least you gave him six long months.

Worth every penny for the goal against the scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hmmm, yeah he's offered very little. Regret us getting him now because, except for brief periods, even his free kicks and corners are crap. What's the story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Hmmm, yeah he's offered very little. Regret us getting him now because, except for brief periods, even his free kicks and corners are crap. What's the story with that?
    I'd trust 'Arry on this though, he'll get the best out of him or ship him on in the summer. Lennon has played well this season, a vast improvement on last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Woodgate wrote: »
    I'd trust 'Arry on this though, he'll get the best out of him or ship him on in the summer. Lennon has played well this season, a vast improvement on last season.

agree with you on this woodie. i was never a fan of lennon but this season he is delivering a lot more often. more often than bentley anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was pretty rank again last night, I'd say a few clubs might think they dodged the bullet when Spurs made that offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Thought we were getting a Bentley, ended up with a Volkswagen...

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Its a tough one. He has been very poor all season. His main asset was his deliveries but even those have been pretty bad too. He has no pace and to be honest, he looks a little out of shape too. I know it easy to have a go at someone and I dont like doing it, but lets be honest, he has done nothing all season. Lennon at the moment is a bigger threat due to his pace, but as we saw last night, his final ball is still poor.

I think Harry will pick Lennon over Bentley most times if its 1 from 2. I'd like to see what he's like playing off a front man, maybe Pav, it might suit him playing that role and picking passes etc...

Time will tell as to how Harry deals with this one...

Advertisement