Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just ordered new broadband, some questions

Options
  • 29-07-2008 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Well I ordered Digiweb's 7.6Mbps packge (Formerly 3Mbps) there on Sunday, and they said it will talk 12 days max without line complications. My exchange is due to get the upgrade on the weekend of August the 9th, so hopefully my line will be activated and I get my box just as the speed Upgrades take place.

What I want to know is, I live roughly about 3km away from the exchange, what speeds could i get under ideal circumstances, because Eircom is putting up new copper lines to the exchange as we speak, literally they are 100M from the bottom of my driveway putting up new Copper lines after putting up new poles last week... So I presume that this is part of Eircoms attempt to get people the advertised speeds by presumably putting down better copper.

I do know that the speed upgrades are due to a software upgrade and not an Upgrade to ADSL2+ unless you are on a 12MB business package on an enabled exchange.

I have heard reports of poeple getting better syncs on their router by using an ADSL2+ Router in ADSL mode... will this work if my speed is signicantly less than advertised? (Poeple living 4km away from the exchange getting about 6.6Mbps by doing this)

If you can answer any of these questions vaguely or in detail it would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

are you a gamer?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

That I am :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Until you have a modem that is synced with the exchange no-one, not even Digiweb or Eircom can promise you 7.6Meg. There is no idea how good your line is or even if it can take 7.6meg. Eircom wouldn't let you order the highest package, they make you order the lower one first and upgrade. No idea why Digiweb said its ok from the off.

Maybe they are finally doing like they do in the UK, and just let you order the package you want ^^

your in for a shock regarding pingtimes mate

digiweb 7.6mb has the heaviest interleaving of them all

you`ll be getting 50 ms to irish servers , sorry to burst your bubble.

• Advertisement

50 is better than what I have now on this wireless crap, i get like 70 to Irish servers when I live in Ireland, and more to UK servers like where my CS:S server is based.

And how can Digiwebs pings be worse than anyone elses seeing as they just re-sell Eircoms junk when its not Metro or Sat.

digiweb use high levels of interleaving even of low end projects such as 1mb etc. I no this because i had them before

my ping times to irish servers atm are 10 ms , im on eircom 3 mb.( i downgraded to keep my low ping)

Eircom BT etc dont use high interleaving on low end projects, and from what i see from peoples ping tests, digiwebs are giving the higher pings out of all the resellers. If u play for fun i wouldnt worry, but your pinging higher to servers in ireland than i do to servers in poland.

well thats presumably because of the nature of the technology I am using to get broadband at the moment, and the fact that the signal has to take a large number of hops to get to its destination.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Maybe they are finally doing like they do in the UK, and just let you order the package you want ^^

That would not necessarily be doing you any favours:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its a different story in UK, packages are sold as "up to", ie. up to 8mbit or up to 24mbit, You may actually sync way lower, but the ISP is covered as they sold You an "up to" product and there are major complaints about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its a different story in UK, packages are sold as "up to", ie. up to 8mbit or up to 24mbit, You may actually sync way lower, but the ISP is covered as they sold You an "up to" product and there are major complaints about it.

I think you will find the "up to" will be commonplace for DSL connections in Ireland too, as the new Eircom upgrades are all based on "up to" speeds.

Advertisement