Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toll Plaza to come down in one day?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Following a conversation with one of the representative regarding the eflow system account and stuff I asked about the toll plaza and was told it would be coming down as I expected it would of course. I then said that it must be coming down overnight or something and I was told it would be done in one day.

Ok I cant see the powers that be in this country to be able to get rid of the plaza in one day. They must take down the whole structure with electronics and all that and the obvious damage to the road that this causes. Then fill the road there and then place road markings.

Does anyone else think this result in a nightmare?

The only way i can see this being done is if that close the outer lanes at the plaza a week before and take down the structure there and place temporary markings down and then close the inner lanes with traffic going around the outer lanes and remove the rest of the structure including main building and fill the road and place road markings down. When finished get rid of outer lanes and have the four lanes running right through.

I am wondering do people think this will run smoothly or will it be just another disaster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is the toll plaza going or just the barriers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

afaik the whole lot is goin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Is the toll plaza going or just the barriers?

Surely the plaza would have to go, can't be racing through the gaps at 100km/h surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The entire plaza - you'd never safely be able to go through the remains of gates at 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

MYOB wrote: »
    The entire plaza - you'd never safely be able to go through the remains of gates at 100kph.

Very true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The whole lot has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

unless you were kbannon of course, who can safely drive at speeds of 160k+ under any conditions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The toll plaza will be completely removed. The new toll "collection point" is located north of the existing structure on the new portal gantries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

for us poor ignorant feckers that are luck enough to use the M50 maybe twice a year and don't need the etoll lark what way doe sit work then are there pay point on it or what?

dade wrote: »
    for us poor ignorant feckers that are luck enough to use the M50 maybe twice a year and don't need the etoll lark what way doe sit work then are there pay point on it or what?

www.eflow.ie

This will show payment methods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

pvt.joker wrote: »
    unless you were kbannon of course, who can safely drive at speeds of 160k+ under any conditions ;)
    In the Netherlands we had to slow right down to about 40mph passing through a gantry, E_tags (Spy chips) will have no trouble giving a reading but the ANPR Cameras would have difficulty detecting dodgers at speed, Also cars must be kept at a distance, if they are too close they can impair the camera readings. I can imagine a speed limit will be imposed in Dublin with this opening with all the confusion that will be going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

In the Netherlands we had to slow right down to about 40mph passing through a gantry, E_tags (Spy chips) will have no trouble giving a reading but the ANPR Cameras would have difficulty detecting dodgers at speed, Also cars must be kept at a distance, if they are too close they can impair the camera readings. I can imagine a speed limit will be imposed in Dublin with this opening with all the confusion that will be going on.

So basically there will be no difference to traffic volumes approaching the toll station:rolleyes:

endplate wrote: »
    So basically there will be no difference to traffic volumes approaching the toll station:rolleyes:

The contractor must read tags and registration plates at 100kmh. There WILL NOT be a reduced speed limit put in, if they can't read tags or regs they lose the dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I wonder how non-eflow cars will be tail-gating articulated lorries at the point where the camera reads the license plate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

chris85 wrote: »
    www.eflow.ie

This will show payment methods.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Digital cameras linked to ANPR systems are commonly used for speed enforcement, they wouldn't be much use if the couldn't read plates at over 40mph would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

endplate wrote: »

There will be no change in traffic volumes anyway:rolleyes: The traffic however will not have to stop to pay the toll which should mean an increase in speeds along the M50

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

now what brought that on?
    Personally I found your lack of tolerance of the facts in the previous debate a bit much but to unnecessarily bring it all back in this context which has nothing to do with the previous debate is unfair.

Feck it - banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The toll plaza has a few extra lanes, so I'm sure this would easy enough to do overnight.

That is, you close off the middle three lanes on each side at 10pm on the first night and direct all other traffic to the outside 3 (?) lanes. You then get one team to work on each of the six booths which need removing. You'd easily pull one up within 9 hours with a big enough team.

Then you reopen the three lanes at 7am, booth free, and spend the rest of the weekend removing the other booths and cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I'll stay above 100km/h so, to avoid getting caught :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Didn't you get banned from feedback for trolling with that crap.
    The contractor must read tags and registration plates at 100kmh. There WILL NOT be a reduced speed limit put in, if they can't read tags or regs they lose the dosh.

What will happen if there is slow moving traffic and there is not enough seperation between vehicle for the cameras to read the plates?

Maybe not likely with cars but certainly possible with a queue of HGVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

We will all have the perect idea's here lads, it will never ever happen in reality, i smell disaster!

seamus wrote: »
    The toll plaza has a few extra lanes, so I'm sure this would easy enough to do overnight.

That is, you close off the middle three lanes on each side at 10pm on the first night and direct all other traffic to the outside 3 (?) lanes. You then get one team to work on each of the six booths which need removing. You'd easily pull one up within 9 hours with a big enough team.

Then you reopen the three lanes at 7am, booth free, and spend the rest of the weekend removing the other booths and cleaning up.

Thats more or less the method i meant in my first post but I really dont think its going to go that smooth. Nothing ever seems to go smooth when it comes to things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Anyone know if the cameras will read the front or back plate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anyone know if the additional gantrys are going at just the intersection of the M1 and M50 or will they also be put at a midway point of Finglas exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Anyone got their eflow tags yet? Mine hasn't arrived yet and I'm heading south for the Bank Holiday weekend

flanzer wrote: »
    Anyone got their eflow tags yet? Mine hasn't arrived yet and I'm heading south for the Bank Holiday weekend

When on the phone with the guy from eflow earlier he said its operational from the 30th August (i think, definitly at the end of August sometime from what he said)

All tags should be sent out about the 18th August or so he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

That was in Holland 5 years ago, more than likely ANPR technology has come along way since then.

daRobot wrote: »
    Anyone know if the cameras will read the front or back plate?
    I would presume the plasa area will be dotted with cameras to catch out any potential offender from the front or rear.

Some idea of what the M50 plasa will look like except they will have three e-pass lanes.

SR_417_University_Toll_Plazaa.jpg

SteveC wrote: »
    What will happen if there is slow moving traffic and there is not enough seperation between vehicle for the cameras to read the plates?

Maybe not likely with cars but certainly possible with a queue of HGVs.

Theres more than one camera gantry, worst comes to the worst (for them!) you get free ride I guess?

However, it'd take something to slow traffic down - at top speed, HGVs with safe seperation wouldn't be close enough to make the plates unreadable. Note I said safe though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

kbannon wrote: »
    now what brought that on?
    Personally I found your lack of tolerance of the facts in the previous debate a bit much but to unnecessarily bring it all back in this context which has nothing to do with the previous debate is unfair.

Feck it - banned!

Apologies KBannon, I meant that comment in jest, but appreciate it looks bad. Thanks for lifting the ban.

Advertisement