Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toll Plaza to come down in one day?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

(Probably got these cheap through some Fina Fail back hander as they were banned in Holland already before Ireland ever installed them).

FF taking back handers in the north too?

What has it being banned in Holland got to do with us. It wasnt banned in the UK so does that cancel out the Holland arguement? I'm sure if we look hard enough we can ban pretty much everythign on the basis of it beign banned somewhere else in the world.

So if bikes are just as entitled to use the road as cars , yet it should be free for bikes , why should it not be free for cars? In fact going by your arguement, there should be a slidign scale startigng with bikes (most expensive) and getting cheaper the more motor tax you pay. A dedicated bike lane could have been set up and the bikers could sit there all day drinking coffee if they wanted.

(pedantic) BTW its Motor tax, no such thing as road tax (pedantic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Stekelly wrote: »
    FF taking back handers in the north too?
    :eek:
    Were Fianna Fail taking back handers somewhere? :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote: »
    :eek:
    Were Fianna Fail taking back handers somewhere? :eek::eek:

I'm not putting myself on any radar by making a definate statement :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Funny all the people having a fit over bikers at the toll. The toll is a disgrace and shouldn't be there, but peoples attitude is "if I pay it, everyone else dam well will!". Even though it's a serious pain in the hole when it's raining taking gloves off! Most bikers I know just drive around the barrier anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Will be great when the toll booths are gone. Having said that, I drove the M50 this morning about 10.30am and couldn't believe how quiet it was. It was my first journey with my eTrip tag so I was interested to see how I was going to get on. I didn't have to slow down on the M50 at all until I entered the EazyPass lane and even then there was no traffic in front of me. Even in the cash paying lanes, there were only about 5 or so cars queing to pay, very quiet indeed.

I have to say I wasn't sure the tag was going to read. I slowed right down to walking speed and crept up and the barrier wasn't lifting. I came to a complete stop and waited a few seconds then it beeped and the barrier lifted, much to my relief.

Speaking of people in the wrong lanes. When I was on the M1 I was driving through the EazyPass lane or whatever it is called. I could see a guy ahead of me in a Dublin reg seemed to have entered the lane by accident and was reversing out. He then went into one of the other lanes and as I got closer, noticed he had the reversing lights on again. Not sure why he was changing lanes for the 2nd time. My guess is that he had entered one of those coin drop lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stekelly wrote: »
    So if bikes are just as entitled to use the road as cars , yet it should be free for bikes , why should it not be free for cars?
    The theory being that a single bike paying it's 90c (?) toll probably costs the operator more in terms of the delay caused. If they go free, there's no cost.
    In fact going by your arguement, there should be a slidign scale startigng with bikes (most expensive) and getting cheaper the more motor tax you pay.
    And if you extend that further, then large commercial vehicles pay 90c to go through the toll?
    The toll is supposed to reflect a vehicle's cost to the bridge - larger vehicles cause more wear/damage and so cause the bridge to require more money for upkeep.
    If you were to charge trucks and vans small sums for going through the barrier on account of their paying high motor tax, then you would have to increase the motor tax even further to offset the drop in income.
    This of course would be unfair because not all vehicles use the bridge. So this means that you can only charge people who use the bridge.
    Therefore in order to offset your costs, you charge the heaviest users of the bridge more money and you charge the lighter users (i.e. bikes), less. And so we're back to the question of, "How much does a biker cost the operator in delays?".
    A dedicated bike lane could have been set up and the bikers could sit there all day drinking coffee if they wanted.
    Now that sounds like an idea that should have been implemented long ago. Although no doubt it would be blocked regularly by micra drivers trying to squeeze through.

Advertisement