Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council refuse planning permission for extension of crescent shopping centre

Options
  • 29-07-2008 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

just read that limerick county council have refused planning permission for the proposed expansion of the cresecent shopping centre which would have included the marks and spencers retail outlet due to the severe effect it would have on traffic and local residents. Does that mean the idea is shleved altogther and limerick will not get its first m&s or do the developers etc have to go back to the drawing board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Muppets.

Although it would be great if it didn't open in the crescent and did open in the Opera Centre (if it ever gets started :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

nothing said about the council building there offices right beside the crescent and further up by huntsfield causing traffic congestion!! man i hate these so called politicians!! impeach limerick CC!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cathyb03

FIRST THERE IS HASSLE AND OBJECTIONS OVER THE NEW MILKMARKET AND NOW THIS REJECTION. IM AFRAID THAT ALL THIS PROPOSED REDEVELOPMENT OF LIMERICK AREAS WILL COME TO A GRINDIND HALT. BUREAUCRACY-DON'T YOU JUST LOVE IT- WHAT WOULD THIS COUNTRY BE WITHOUT RED TAPE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I think there right about this one in fairness.
    I dont know why people are complaining about this.

An extension to the Crescent will just put even more pressure on the area . If it went ahead it would also be an excuse for people not to go to the city centre .

With the Parkway Valley Shopping centre i dont think there is any more need for suburban shopping centres, let them do up the city centre as much as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

With Limerick dude 100% on this the cresent can be a nightmare as it is and the town centre needs more large shops to keep it rejuvinated.

We dont need the town getting more lopsided with another big draw out in dooradoyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Will the parkway valley have a M&S?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

how many month now without a M&S thread? such a long time without wild speculations! ;) lovely!

the opera will have a M&S, the Coonagh SC will have a M&S and the Parkway will have a M&S. That's what people say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

They planned on taking away the roundabout and having the main road head towards their own entrance?!?! To keep travelling along the road to patrickswell you would have had to try do a right turn off the road?!?!?!

In fairness that was a bit of a joke, they even moved the bus stop to a different road, meaning that buses would have to all head down dooradoyle rd, that would have cut the bus service off from my house!

People always give out that the councils will let anything go to get the fees from these developments, but now here they are - taking responsible action on traffic planning and your bitching away... difficult to please people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

The council were dead right, the crescent shopping centre is a nightmare to get out of at busy times, adding more shops is not the solution. We have enought retail units available for any amount of shops including the beloved M&S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I tend to agree, the Crescent is big enough at this point, the traffic just can't cope with more people using it. M&S are in the business to make money, they'll find a suitable location in Limerick soon enough regardless, and if they don't, what harm? It's not like they're selling anything you can't get in another store (for the most part).

• Advertisement

I tend to agree, the Crescent is big enough at this point, the traffic just can't cope with more people using it. M&S are in the business to make money, they'll find a suitable location in Limerick soon enough regardless, and if they don't, what harm? It's not like they're selling anything you can't get in another store (for the most part).

complete rubbish.. the crescent is doing a great job of coping with the traffic.. i have lived across the road from the crescent for the best part of 20 years and the traffic is no worse than at any other sizable shopping centre.. i dont think the addition of new shops will affect the traffic if the exits and entrances are placed correctly.. just because m&s open a shop there dont mean a million more people are going to shop there.. and i disagree with you saying m&s dont have anything others shops dont.. have u ever been to m&s the food produce is far superior to any of the other big chains not to mind healthier.. as for this notion that they shouldnt extend the crescent but rebuild a city centre that has had its day thats complete codswallop.. i personally prefer the all under one roof idea especially since i have kids to drag along shopping.. i said in a previous post that all this regeneration wouldnt last long and mark my words it wont.. if the council is worried about the adverse effects an extension to the crescent will cause its just another case of limerick CC being too thick to think about tomorrow as opposed to today.. maybe if the CC could see past the ends of their noses they wouldnt have built there new offices in the grounds of the crescent and further up on the same street adding to the congestion on the dooradoyle road..

Pshan wrote: »
    The council were dead right, the crescent shopping centre is a nightmare to get out of at busy times, adding more shops is not the solution. We have enought retail units available for any amount of shops including the beloved M&S.

the solution to what??

the council aint building the shops!!

its just the crescent trying to extend its empire!!

and i say good on em.. while retail parks and the city centre fall by the wayside the CSS just gets better!!

and surely its a good thing to have more choice thus bringing more people to our region to spend their hard earned (if scarce these days) extra cash..

The Crescent as it is is a neon hole, regardless of how convienent it is to you personally Stab.

The Crescent as it is is a neon hole, regardless of how convienent it is to you personally Stab.

maybe buddy but aint it nice to at least have a choice to go there??

Stab*City wrote: »
    maybe buddy but aint it nice to at least have a choice to go there??

Sure it is, but I'm sure there's plenty of other shopping centres where M&S could easily fit in too. It's not the end of the world Stab, you'll get through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

have u ever been to m&s the food produce is far superior to any of the other big chains not to mind healthier

Looks like the ad men have done it again for M&S.......

Roadend wrote: »
    Looks like the ad men have done it again for M&S.......

u wouldn't say that if u tasted their choc n cream brownie cake. My god has to b the tastiest thing I ever tasted. Plus for someone like myself who lives on rubbish food it would b nice to have the healthier option there. I know the other chains have healthy options but m&s just do it tastier 4 some reason. And yes I agree there is plenty of vacant outlets around but why would they take the chance of opening in a ghost town like coonagh cross. If they were planning to open in the crescent I'd say the fact it is limericks no 1 shopping mecca had alot to do with it too.

Sure it is, but I'm sure there's plenty of other shopping centres where M&S could easily fit in too. It's not the end of the world Stab, you'll get through this.

will u help me get through it by going to cork and picking me up one of those cakes!! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I long ago specified that I would have the following carved on my Head stone .......

"All I wanted was an M&S in Limerick"

and then you guys told me we were finally getting one ...... :D

and now we are either not getting one ...... :(

or getting three ..... :eek:

complete rubbish.. the crescent is doing a great job of coping with the traffic.. i have lived across the road from the crescent for the best part of 20 years and the traffic is no worse than at any other sizable shopping centre.. i dont think the addition of new shops will affect the traffic if the exits and entrances are placed correctly.. just because m&s open a shop there dont mean a million more people are going to shop there ......... i said in a previous post that all this regeneration wouldnt last long and mark my words it wont.. if the council is worried about the adverse effects an extension to the crescent will cause its just another case of limerick CC being too thick to think about tomorrow as opposed to today.. maybe if the CC could see past the ends of their noses they wouldnt have built there new offices in the grounds of the crescent and further up on the same street adding to the congestion on the dooradoyle road..

You might live across the road and find it a good location but for those of us who have to drive there it's a nighmare at peak times, it's one of the easiest shopping centres to entre but it is one of the worst to exit, around the world in 80 days springs to mind when trying to exit from the crescent.

The whole place is a joke, a combination of one way traffic to two way to merging delivery trucks.

As to the point about the council offices - shops attract more cars than offices so if the space used by the offices wwas used as shopping areas the traffic could be unmanageable.
    ..... And yes I agree there is plenty of vacant outlets around but why would they take the chance of opening in a ghost town like coonagh cross. If they were planning to open in the crescent I'd say the fact it is limericks no 1 shopping mecca had alot to do with it too.

So the Council should just grant planning permission for all extensions to the Crescent on the basis that it's Limerick's No 1 Shopping Mecca?

• Advertisement

You might live across the road and find it a good location but for those of us who have to drive there it's a nighmare at peak times, it's one of the easiest shopping centres to entre but it is one of the worst to exit, around the world in 80 days springs to mind when trying to exit from the crescent. The whole place is a joke, a combination of one way traffic to two way to merging delivery trucks.As to the point about the council offices - shops attract more cars than offices so if the space used by the offices wwas used as shopping areas the traffic could be unmanageable.So the Council should just grant planning permission for all extensions to the Crescent on the basis that it's Limerick's No 1 Shopping Mecca?

why are you making assumptions.. when i said across the road i was generally speaking.. i used to live across the road now i live a little further up the road.. so now i drive there all the time..

First of all you dont HAVE to drive there.. u could always go into town or the parkway or any of the other retail districts.. and maybe it wouldnt be so hard to exit if you didnt go there at 8pm every friday night or 3 pm every sat & sun!! i have never had a problem bar christmas exiting the crescent.. maybe a couple mins delay at worst by the traffic lights on the dooradoyle road.. but no round the world in 80 days like u say!!

u think the crescent traffic system is bad have you drove through town at all in the past 5 years?? if you had then you would realise how petty you sound complaining about a few mins delay at the crescent.. or how about the entrance to the dunnes/smyths and then further up by the parkway on childers road.. the traffic there is much much worse!! i have never seen mile long traffic jams like up there out side the crescent.. bar maybe if there was some rugby on in garryowen..

and can you explain to me how shops can attract more cars then offices when the offices we are talking about are the county council main headquaters and the motor taxation head office!! these offices are packed everyday monday to friday 9 t 5!! monday to friday 9 t 5 the crescent is practically empty.. i have seen 20 cars parked on the side of the road outside the motor taxation office because with their terrible judgement the CC built their motor taxation head office with a car park of about 12 spaces!!! they must have thought that all the people coming there for their licences, car tax and whatever else were going to walk there!! halfwits!!

no they shouldnt grant planning permission for that fact.. but lets just say the crescent closed.. imagine the effect that would have on the local economy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

according to todays post, the development team intend to submit altered plans on foot of the rejection of these ones.

why are you making assumptions.. when i said across the road i was generally speaking.. i used to live across the road now i live a little further up the road.. so now i drive there all the time..

First of all you dont HAVE to drive there.. u could always go into town or the parkway or any of the other retail districts.. and maybe it wouldnt be so hard to exit if you didnt go there at 8pm every friday night or 3 pm every sat & sun!! i have never had a problem bar christmas exiting the crescent.. maybe a couple mins delay at worst by the traffic lights on the dooradoyle road.. but no round the world in 80 days like u say!!

u think the crescent traffic system is bad have you drove through town at all in the past 5 years?? if you had then you would realise how petty you sound complaining about a few mins delay at the crescent.. or how about the entrance to the dunnes/smyths and then further up by the parkway on childers road.. the traffic there is much much worse!! i have never seen mile long traffic jams like up there out side the crescent.. bar maybe if there was some rugby on in garryowen..

and can you explain to me how shops can attract more cars then offices when the offices we are talking about are the county council main headquaters and the motor taxation head office!! these offices are packed everyday monday to friday 9 t 5!! monday to friday 9 t 5 the crescent is practically empty.. i have seen 20 cars parked on the side of the road outside the motor taxation office because with their terrible judgement the CC built their motor taxation head office with a car park of about 12 spaces!!! they must have thought that all the people coming there for their licences, car tax and whatever else were going to walk there!! halfwits!!

no they shouldnt grant planning permission for that fact.. but lets just say the crescent closed.. imagine the effect that would have on the local economy!!

Off course I can choose to go elsewhere and generally I do, why? because the traffic in the crescent is the worst I have encountered in Limerick, I can be out of the Jetland, Coonagh, Parkway and Castletroy in half the time it takes to exit the Crescent.

Your crib about the offices still don't stand up if the traffic build up is between 9 to 5 and there's no traffic in the Crescent.:confused:

Why do so many people have to visit the motor taxation office - can they not do online or by post?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 canned

The traffic at the crescent, particularly around Christmas is brutal, regardless of how you want to paint it.

Making an enclosed area with limited availability for access into what amounts to a retail park is just silly. Completely behind this decision. In fairness, if traffic is the only issue and the planners/developers can't sort that then come on..... There's a brand new road rolling through the back of the crescent - why not pay the bill to add access from there?

Off course I can choose to go elsewhere and generally I do, why? because the traffic in the crescent is the worst I have encountered in Limerick, I can be out of the Jetland, Coonagh, Parkway and Castletroy in half the time it takes to exit the Crescent.

Your crib about the offices still don't stand up if the traffic build up is between 9 to 5 and there's no traffic in the Crescent.:confused:

Why do so many people have to visit the motor taxation office - can they not do online or by post?:confused:

you must be joking to get from the parkway into town or anywhere else for that matter is unreal.. first u have the 1 ENTRANCE 1 EXIT from the parkway and then i have seen traffic backed up from the parkway all the way to the ballysimon roundabout.. but look if you ask me which im sure your not all the traffic system in limerick is F**KED!! so lets agree to disagree on that matter..

my crib was that you said the shops attract more traffic than the offices and i was simply pointing out that it depends on the time of day..

well firstly you can not obtain your tax online untill after your first taxation of said car as you recieve your online pin with your reciept.. and secondly im sure when it comes to car tax and licences alot of people would rather do it in person as i would.. at least then i can walk away for the office and put my tax up on my window right there.. another example ill give is i just bought a new car on the 28th june and when i tried to tax it the said i had to pay €60 for the month of june.. so i HAD to go in there and get this form that i HAD to bring to the GARDAI to get stamped which i then HAD to bring back to the taxation office!! also what about the people who dont have internet access which is 85% of county limerick!! understand now or would you like me to explain further why people must go there!!:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::p:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

canned wrote: »
    There's a brand new road rolling through the back of the crescent - why not pay the bill to add access from there?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

It must be said, its much more of a nightmare trying to get in and out of the new dunnes oppostie the Parkway or the business park where Harvey norman is, than the Crescent.

you must be joking to get from the parkway into town or anywhere else for that matter is unreal.. first u have the 1 ENTRANCE 1 EXIT from the parkway and then i have seen traffic backed up from the parkway all the way to the ballysimon roundabout.. but look if you ask me which im sure your not all the traffic system in limerick is F**KED!! so lets agree to disagree on that matter..

my crib was that you said the shops attract more traffic than the offices and i was simply pointing out that it depends on the time of day..

well firstly you can not obtain your tax online untill after your first taxation of said car as you recieve your online pin with your reciept.. and secondly im sure when it comes to car tax and licences alot of people would rather do it in person as i would.. at least then i can walk away for the office and put my tax up on my window right there.. another example ill give is i just bought a new car on the 28th june and when i tried to tax it the said i had to pay €60 for the month of june.. so i HAD to go in there and get this form that i HAD to bring to the GARDAI to get stamped which i then HAD to bring back to the taxation office!! also what about the people who dont have internet access which is 85% of county limerick!! understand now or would you like me to explain further why people must go there!!:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::p:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I exit the Parkway onto the roundabout and then take the next exit down Rhebogue and away. To exit the Crescent I have to battle my way round the car park then out onto the public road (maybe wait for green light) down to next set of lights (maybe wait for green light) and then onto a roundabout, crazy I tell you.

Where do you get the stats about internet access, only 15% of the population of county Limerick have access to the internet, I doubt it?

Over the dinner I did a quick poll and the majority of the canteen preferred the Crescent from a shopping point of view but all said the layout of the exits and the traffic management was poor - they all complained about the exit of the underground car park leading to the furthest point in the open air car park and having to then join that queue to exit.

canned wrote: »
    The traffic at the crescent, particularly around Christmas is brutal, regardless of how you want to paint it.

Making an enclosed area with limited availability for access into what amounts to a retail park is just silly. Completely behind this decision. In fairness, if traffic is the only issue and the planners/developers can't sort that then come on..... There's a brand new road rolling through the back of the crescent - why not pay the bill to add access from there?

Crossing the railway line might be problem but certainly it should considered.

• Advertisement

I exit the Parkway onto the roundabout and then take the next exit down Rhebogue and away. To exit the Crescent I have to battle my way round the car park then out onto the public road (maybe wait for green light) down to next set of lights (maybe wait for green light) and then onto a roundabout, crazy I tell you.

Where do you get the stats about internet access, only 15% of the population of county Limerick have access to the internet, I doubt it?

Over the dinner I did a quick poll and the majority of the canteen preferred the Crescent from a shopping point of view but all said the layout of the exits and the traffic management was poor - they all complained about the exit of the underground car park leading to the furthest point in the open air car park and having to then join that queue to exit.

instead of battling your way round the car park since u despise it so much why not park on the road outside of the carpark.. ya u know what when i exit dundrum shopping centre i have to take a luas back to my brothers house in raneliegh then pick up my stuff then get in my car drive through 25 roundabouts and stop at 73 traffic lights the i have to drive 120 miles back to limerick the through 4 roundabouts then through the gates of my estate then through my fromt door!! but u know what i aint complaining cuz i made the choice to go there!! just like u do going to the crescent so if you dont want to be stuck shop in the f**cking parkway!!
    nuff said!!

Total broadband take-up in Ireland grew by 12% in the first quarter of this year, resulting in a 22.9% total penetration rate nationwide, according to Comreg's quarterly report.

so i think 15% is pretty close.. why where did u get your figures or are u just talking BS!!

ok i agree about the exit from the underground carpark but if they switched it around u and your canteen buddies would b complaining that you have to drive to the far side to get in!! some people r never happy..

just an idea but why dont you and your lunch buddies car pool next time your heading to the crescent then maybe i could get a parking space!!

only kidding buddy all your points are valid but i feel so are mine..

Advertisement