Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council refuse planning permission for extension of crescent shopping centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Stab*City wrote: »
    instead of battling your way round the car park since u despise it so much why not park on the road outside of the carpark.. ya u know what when i exit dundrum shopping centre i have to take a luas back to my brothers house in raneliegh then pick up my stuff then get in my car drive through 25 roundabouts and stop at 73 traffic lights the i have to drive 120 miles back to limerick the through 4 roundabouts then through the gates of my estate then through my fromt door!! but u know what i aint complaining cuz i made the choice to go there!! just like u do going to the crescent so if you dont want to be stuck shop in the f**cking parkway!!
    nuff said!!

Total broadband take-up in Ireland grew by 12% in the first quarter of this year, resulting in a 22.9% total penetration rate nationwide, according to Comreg's quarterly report.

so i think 15% is pretty close.. why where did u get your figures or are u just talking BS!!

ok i agree about the exit from the underground carpark but if they switched it around u and your canteen buddies would b complaining that you have to drive to the far side to get in!! some people r never happy..

just an idea but why dont you and your lunch buddies car pool next time your heading to the crescent then maybe i could get a parking space!!

only kidding buddy all your points are valid but i feel so are mine..

So you want all the shoppers that visit the crescent by car to use the public road as the car park, that would really push the council to granting planning permission for an extension.

WRT to the stats on internet access - are you talking about BB or Internet or both, your earlier post referred to internet (I took that to be dial up and BB) but you follow up with stats from Comreg refer to BB only) BB is hardly required to complete car tax online. Anyway, internet access is not confined to home use, people could use internet cafes, work PCs, libraries, etc.

Why does the entry and exit of the underground car park have to be opposite each other, why not at right angles and allow traffic to exit on the straight stretch towards the lights? Poor design:mad:

Nothing will convince me that the Crescent Shopping centre is well laid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Pshan wrote: »
    So you want all the shoppers that visit the crescent by car to use the public road as the car park, that would really push the council to granting planning permission for an extension.

WRT to the stats on internet access - are you talking about BB or Internet or both, your earlier post referred to internet (I took that to be dial up and BB) but you follow up with stats from Comreg refer to BB only) BB is hardly required to complete car tax online. Anyway, internet access is not confined to home use, people could use internet cafes, work PCs, libraries, etc.

Why does the entry and exit of the underground car park have to be opposite each other, why not at right angles and allow traffic to exit on the straight stretch towards the lights? Poor design:mad:

Nothing will convince me that the Crescent Shopping centre is well laid out.

I'm not trying to convince u it's well laid out I suppose what I'm saying is that the limerick CC has bad judgement on all aspects of planning. This is maybe a good one for once as anything that makes traffic worse is bad. But I do think the crescent deserves a pat on the back for the brill shopping complex it is I mean after all we do go there to shop and not to drive around. For however long it takes u to get in and out I'm sure u spend 3 times that enjoying the other things it has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Pshan wrote: »
    Crossing the railway line might be problem but certainly it should considered.

I think its a toll road so unless people want to pay for the privelage of driving to the cresent its a non starter!
    My own point of view on the traffic situation is that the cresent is a lot easier to get out of generely than childers road and the parkway!
    Im living in glendale lawn and see first hand traffic on childers road its a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think its a toll road so unless people want to pay for the privelage of driving to the cresent its a non starter!
    My own point of view on the traffic situation is that the cresent is a lot easier to get out of generely than childers road and the parkway!
    Im living in glendale lawn and see first hand traffic on childers road its a disgrace!

The tunnel is tolled but the roads to and from it will be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

But I do think the crescent deserves a pat on the back for the brill shopping complex it is I mean after all we do go there to shop and not to drive around. For however long it takes u to get in and out I'm sure u spend 3 times that enjoying the other things it has to offer.

Are you for real - brillant shopping centre, it's closer to being a dump, the new part has something going for it but the older part is all over the place.

What has it to offer that you would class as enjoyment unless shopping is your thing? My guess is the majority of folk use the place for grocery shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I'm not trying to convince u it's well laid out I suppose what I'm saying is that the limerick CC has bad judgement on all aspects of planning. This is maybe a good one for once as anything that makes traffic worse is bad. But I do think the crescent deserves a pat on the back for the brill shopping complex it is I mean after all we do go there to shop and not to drive around. For however long it takes u to get in and out I'm sure u spend 3 times that enjoying the other things it has to offer.

Noone is saying that the crescent is a bad shopping centre. Its definetly the best one in Limerick and it is a good place to go to however another extension would just put even more strain on the area in terms of traffic congestion and it isnt worth it, even if it is M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

nothing said about the council building there offices right beside the crescent and further up by huntsfield causing traffic congestion!! man i hate these so called politicians!! impeach limerick CC!!

funny username too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

This is a rumour so im not sure if it deserved its won thread and this was the most related topic in recent weeks...
    http://www.limerickblogger.ie/blog/2008/08/parkway-valley-development-stalled

Parkway Valley development stalled?
    August 5th, 2008 by patrick

Over at the forum, there’s an unconfirmed report that development at the Parkway Valley (the new development between PC World and Singland motors in Castletroy) is halting.

Heard today that bank have pulled the plug on the Developer. He could not confirm anchor tenant so bank decided to cut losses early. Heard this from supplier to site.

Although unconfirmed, this seems plausible given the current property downturn. Can anyone shed more light on things?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i would suggest that someone saw no activity on the site over the last 2 weeks, and presumed it is stalled. but the builders are on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Bit off topic but while we're talking about other developments and builders holidays...I must say that the new building on Thomas street is really nice looking. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

And the old Davin site is building away. Foundation down and deliveries of building 'stuff' by the lorry load every day - no holidays evident there....still dunno if it is Lidl or Aldi moving in there though?!

Osk wrote: »
    And the old Davin site is building away. Foundation down and deliveries of building 'stuff' by the lorry load every day - no holidays evident there....still dunno if it is Lidl or Aldi moving in there though?!
    I'd say Lidl more than likely, kinda a trend with opening new stores and aldi already has 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phog wrote: »
    The tunnel is tolled but the roads to and from it will be free.

The road is scheduled to become an easy pay system like what is on the M50 in Dublin from late 2011, so the road will be free for one year.

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'd say Lidl more than likely, kinda a trend with opening new stores and aldi already has 2.

Feck - the 2 Aldi are on the opposite side of town so no good to me and there is a Lidl in Shannon which suits me work wise - I'd my fingers crossed for Aldi!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

isnt there another aldi going in castletroy near the halting site...

Oh no...3 so close to each other? And none on the northside??? :rolleyes:

it could be a lidl im not too sure...origionall it was ment to be a guarda staion...but that was thought to be a stupid idea...not there looking at putting one where the old aib was across from the hurlers..

OK - found out yesterday it's definitely a Lidl. :mad:

mmm the rumour mill was right so....mmm do we now have more aldi/lidl than we do night clubs??

not really, considering the size of the city having 2 lidl's isnt that much. Carlow town has 2 I believe. Must have a look at the pamphlet in the paper at the weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Superquinn's struggling enough as it is out in the Castletroy Shopping Centre, a Lidl across the road will give them a serious headache.

Good for the customer though.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Superquinn's struggling enough as it is out in the Castletroy Shopping Centre, a Lidl across the road will give them a serious headache.

Good for the customer though.
    Well thats because the castletroy shopping centre is a shambles. The only thing keeping that place going is Storm.

Advertisement