Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you reckon will be top scorer this season.

• 29-07-2008 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Exactly what it says on the tin

Who do you think will be the top scorer in the 08/09 season 54 votes

Torres
    0% 0 votes
    Rooney
    57% 31 votes
    Keane
    3% 2 votes
    Defoe
    3% 2 votes
    Ade
    3% 2 votes
    Van Persie
    0% 0 votes
    Ronaldo
    5% 3 votes
    Santa Cruz
    20% 11 votes
    Drogba
    1% 1 vote
    Berbatov
    0% 0 votes
    Muntari
    1% 1 vote
    Other
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Rooney or Torres...or Ronaldo (if he stays)...can see Defoe knocking in a few as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Gotta be Mooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Same tin as this tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MUNTARI?!?!

FFS he isn't even in the league anymore and is a central midfielder.

Where's Jo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SectionF wrote: »
    Gotta be Mooney.

Quigley!

• Advertisement

Anto Flood in the First Division has it sewn up tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Jermaine Beckford

Jermaine Beckford

He looked shíte against us tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Eto'o
    Amauri
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Call Me Crazy but I'de say if van Persie got a full season he might be up there. I'de have my doubts about Rooney and Ronaldo also. Torres with Keane up behind him will be the one to beat.

• Advertisement

Call Me Crazy but I'de say if van Persie got a full season he might be up there. I'de have my doubts about Rooney and Ronaldo also. Torres with Keane up behind him will be the one to beat.

I thought you wanted to be called Jimmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

brad friedel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

On topic, Torres

CHD wrote: »
    On topic, Torres

What do you mean "on topic".

There is no topic specified, and everyone has specified who they think will be top scorer.

There is actually no specific league asked about.

I haven't voted because I don't think any of the options will be top scorer in the eircom League First Division.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Des

Jermaine Beckford

He looked shíte against us tbh

That would be difficult considering he didn't play ;)

That would be difficult considering he didn't play ;)

Did he not?

Ah well, all your strikers looked shíte against us. :pac:

:):)

That was Enoch Showunmi up top, and yes, he is TERRIBLE.

Beckford on the other hand is a class act in League One, reckon he'll get 25+ goals this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Torres has to be the favourite with the doubts over Ronaldo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Van Perise if he stays fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Carlos Vela :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Torres imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Mooney , he's too far ahead to be caught

gustavo wrote: »
    Mooney , he's too far ahead to be caught

Quigley will catch him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

And 14 to Torres... Pool fans at it again:rolleyes:

Walcott may shine if he's in the first team...

Poll should have been made public!

Top goal scorer = Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

MIN2511 wrote: »
    And 14 to Torres... Pool fans at it again:rolleyes:
    What are the "Pool" fans at exactly? Its a very reasonable assumption that Torres could be top scorer next season, not just Liverpool fans reckon that could happen.

I think Rooney is going to have a massive season, so feck it Im going to give him my vote. :)

What are the "Pool" fans at exactly?
    Its a very reasonable assumption that Torres could be top scorer next season, not just Liverpool fans reckon that could happen.

That's why i think the poll should have been public, fair enough that majority of the voters think it could well happen. The season hasn't started, it's based on assumptions and performance at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Stephen Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

MIN2511 wrote: »
    That's why i think the poll should have been public, fair enough that majority of the voters think it could well happen. The season hasn't started, it's based on assumptions and performance at the World Cup.
    Well now you've really lost me, the World Cup?? If you mean the Euros well Torres hardly set it a light with his goal scoring. Im sure alot of people reckon he could well be top scorer next season because of his excellant debut season in the premiership. Of course its all based on assumptions+performance which is why you think Ronaldo will be top goalscorer because he was last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Rooney to surprise and set the scoring charts alight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

van Persie. I think he looks a better striker than Adebayour when they play together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

If Owen stays fit, he could be up there. But I reckon Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Even though he'll be injuried, I still think Ronaldo will catch up with others. That said, if Van Persie can stay fit I feel he will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

"other" whos that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

brennaldo wrote: »
    "other" whos that

He's in the West Ham youth squad. Tipped to be the next big thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So I'm the only one who thinks Defoe then(so far!). What with Crouch knocking them down for him, I think it could be a good season for Portsmouth goals-wise.

Well now you've really lost me, the World Cup?? If you mean the Euros well Torres hardly set it a light with his goal scoring. Im sure alot of people reckon he could well be top scorer next season because of his excellant debut season in the premiership. Of course its all based on assumptions+performance which is why you think Ronaldo will be top goalscorer because he was last year.

Sorry the Euro 2008!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cristiano Ronaldo.

He started scoring a few games into last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Dave Mooney, but Quigley is still in with a shout .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

1. Ronaldo
    2. Torres
    3. Drogba

I think Rooney will weight in with more than his fair share of goals this season too, he is due a good haul, especially as he will pretty much be the main man before Ronaldo gets back... in his absence I'd expect Rooney to stand up and be counted.. Its hard to look past Ronaldo again this year though, unless he is a fair few behind before he gets back from his injury.

• Advertisement

If Owen stays fit, he could be up there. But I reckon Torres.

In fairness though, Owen has never been up there, even in his prime. Great talent, but he never had the natural instinct of Fowler!!

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    1. Ronaldo
    2. Torres
    3. Drogba

I think Rooney will weight in with more than his fair share of goals this season too, he is due a good haul, especially as he will pretty much be the main man before Ronaldo gets back... in his absence I'd expect Rooney to stand up and be counted.. Its hard to look past Ronaldo again this year though, unless he is a fair few behind before he gets back from his injury.

Rooney will never ever be top goalscorer in the Premier League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rooney will never ever be top goalscorer in the Premier League

..... Where exactly did I mention he'd be top goalscorer? I didn't even have him in the top 3.

I said I expect him to step up and score a few more because he is due more of a haul that he has been getting, especially as Ronnie will be out for a month or two. I never mentioned him as being a top goalscorer, or not.... but, now that you've tempted faith....... :)

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    ..... Where exactly did I mention he'd be top goalscorer? I didn't even have him in the top 3.

I said I expect him to step up and score a few more because he is due more of a haul that he has been getting, especially as Ronnie will be out for a month or two. I never mentioned him as being a top goalscorer, or not.... but, now that you've tempted faith....... :)

Ah yeah,sorry. I wasn't trying to imply that you were saying he would. I was just putting it on record that i just don't think he ever will be.
    And i will tempt fate in complete confidence, Rooney will never be a Premier League top scorer. He isn't good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

My money's on Torres. I am a Liverpool fan but I'd say that's irrelavent. Torres showed he has all the ingredients to be the best striker in the world last season so to put the result of the poll down to biased voting is simply ridiculous.:mad:
    Ronaldo is injured for the first month or so and even though he did get a red card early in 2007/2008 causing him to miss 3 games, he had a phenomanal season and I think he'd be doing very well to repeat that performance. Not saying he won't of course just that I don't think it'll happen.
    Torres was so consistent once he got scoring at Anfield and I can see him scoring a lot more away from home with Keane there to help now.
    Drogma imo has a serious attitude problem. He believes he is bigger than Chelsea and with a mindset like that I don't think he can do it. If he doesn't get the ball when he requests it he's partial to throw a hissy fit which will probably lead Essien throwing his jersey over his head.
    Van Persie I feel will not stay fit for the season but as talented as he is he's still not as clinical a goal scorer as Ronaldo or Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

i think Torres has to be put in as favour , Ronaldo was will be there abouts. BUT I am going to put a small wager on someone not on the poll , If he starts enough games (can see him starting alot of games in the first month or so due to Ronaldo's injury), I can see Tevez giving everyone a run for their money.

16/1 with paddies , hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mushy wrote: »
    So I'm the only one who thinks Defoe then(so far!). What with Crouch knocking them down for him, I think it could be a good season for Portsmouth goals-wise.

but he doesn't play for one of the big four, you know you aren't allowed to be any good if you don't play for one of them (Not including Sunderland of course) :D

Still, he's got two votes now;)

He's also not that good. To come top scorer outside of the top 4 takes something special. Why? Because you get none of those 3-0 up tap in goals in the last minute to add to your tally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

PHB wrote: »
    He's also not that good. To come top scorer outside of the top 4 takes something special. Why? Because you get none of those 3-0 up tap in goals in the last minute to add to your tally.

you also play less games.

lets see though, for the amount of time spent on the pitch last year, crouch and defoe both had a pretty good return rate.

you also play less games.

In the league? I'd have thought it the opposite. I know Ronaldo got rested in quite a few of the piss easy games last year.

Defoe 1600 mins 12 goals - goal every 133
    Crouch 950 minutes 5 goals - goal every 190
    Ronaldo 2700 minutes 31 goals - goal every 87
    Ababayour 2900 minutes 24 goals - goal every 120
    Torres 2500 minutes 24 goals - goal every 104

• Advertisement
Advertisement