Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter on Popcorn in Cinemas

Options
  • 29-07-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know why you can't get butter on popcorn in cinemas anymore? I used to love getting the stuff all of my popcorn. Now I have to bring my own which is a pain in the t1ts.

Why take away this lovely condiment? Could it be that it was starting to cost them too much money? Ideas anyone?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

coolock cinema does it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

so does tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

****in' hell, I'd never get popcorn without the butter. What's teh point!

Though I haven't gotten cinema popcorn on yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

id say the main reason they dont do it anymore is just that its messy. they dont want to be getting butter all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I've asked about this before, its a health issue apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Still do butter popcorn in Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

UCI is the only place that still does it I think?

LOVE butter on my popcorn. Bleedin delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It smells like diarrhea, good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Butter is a complete pain in the arse to get off a tiled floor.

There were a couple of incidents where someone spilled their buttered popcorn onto the floor after getting it, then a bod comes along, picks up the popcorn, and while he goes off to get the cleaning stuff, someone comes along and falls on their arse.

Most cinemas pretty much stopped doing it at the same time.

It's not really butter they give you anyway, more flavoured oil. And as you know, oil + tile = super slide. It's horribel stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

taidghbaby wrote: »
    coolock cinema does it!!

Seriously? Cool Ill go there next time.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

they dont sell it cuz its meant to be dodgy butter that ****s up your arteries(spelling).
    was in coolock last night and had popcorn..with butter of course!! :D

joejoem wrote: »
    I've asked about this before, its a health issue apparently.

A health issue? And asking for a small coke and getting over a litre of it is not a health issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

How do you bring your OWN butter? Like those little sachets you get in cafés? Popcorn cinema doesn't tend to be hot enough to melt butter anyway so would it not just sit in lumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

syklops wrote: »
    A health issue? And asking for a small coke and getting over a litre of it is not a health issue?
    ah but thats special "sods-stream" coke

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Never liked butter on me popcorn. Greasy fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

faceman wrote: »
    Never liked butter on me popcorn. Greasy fingers!
    that not make it easier......in the cinema :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I remember when the Omni cinema in Santry got done up they stopped doing butter. When I asked why the said because of costs.

Suffice to say that simple little cost has lost them even more money as me , my missus nor the sprog have gone to that place in over 2 years and drive the extra bit to Coolock instead.

In case you can't tell I love my butter

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Too right.
    It's a load of ****.
    What is the point in paying 500 euro for a small car sized chunk of popcorn and the ****ers cant even put butter on it.
    Rip off I tells ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Most cinemas actually now use a product called Flavacol. This is a powder substance, that's added to the kernels and oil at the start of the cooking process, and adds both a salt and butter taste to the popcorn.

Obviously peoples opinion of the authenticity of the taste is a factor, but that's just how it is.

And yes, butter on the floor = very dangerous, so that's the reason a lot of places don't do it any more.

Piste wrote: »
    How do you bring your OWN butter? Like those little sachets you get in cafés? Popcorn cinema doesn't tend to be hot enough to melt butter anyway so would it not just sit in lumps?

I melt it before I go, put it into a plastic bottle and when I sit down, I pour it all over my popcorn. You have to remember to get non-salted popcorn because if it is already salted, you will be dying for thirst afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Bringing your own butter to the cinema...
    I don't know whether to consider that ridiculous or ingenius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I remember my fella having butter on his popcorn he put it on his trousers and when he stood up it looked like he had pissed himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not only can you still get butter popcorn in the states but Regal Cinemas even have 3 different bottles of shake-on seasonings you can buy for $1.50 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Blisterman wrote: »

Ingenius I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

marti101 wrote: »
    I remember my fella having butter on his popcorn he put it on his trousers and when he stood up it looked like he had pissed himself.

I know someone who this happened to. They have since remembered to put lots of napkins under the bag! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

kraggy wrote: »
    Ingenius I'd say.

Quite ingenius.

Was actually having this discussion last night.

Has anyone heard the rumour that it was never actually real butter but.............DUN DUN DUN.......Margarine:eek:!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Mirror wrote: »
    Most cinemas actually now use a product called Flavacol. This is a powder substance, that's added to the kernels and oil at the start of the cooking process, and adds both a salt and butter taste to the popcorn.

Sometimes if your lucky, the cinema staff will have played games while making the popcorn, and have double dosed on this flavacol and doubled up the oil too.

The result is the most delicious stuff known to man, but only in small quantities. I reckon a large popcorn eaten with this stuff added in such quantities would kill a small child!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Blisterman wrote: »

Ridiculously ingenius??

Meh, I'm just going with ridiculous myself. I'm not buying this plastic bottle full o melted butter story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Buttered popcorn is manky anyway, stinks up the cinema too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Omg I miss it so bad, I'm heading to blanch.

Advertisement