Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter on Popcorn in Cinemas

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

flora is not butter!

And butter never killed anyone!

BRING BACK BUTTER!!!!!

Real butter, maybe, but that sh*t they used in the cinema was as fake as my next door neighboour's "M3".

And I'm totally not buying the "plastic bottle of butter" thing either. Melted butter re-solidifies once it cools, so unless poster lives next door the to cinema, there's no way it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Blisterman wrote: »
    That brings up another point.

What is Flora? It's not butter. I had always assumed it was margerine, but if you look on the pack, it doesn't say margerine anywhere.

Also, what's Low Low and Dairygold?

Lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

kyub wrote: »
    Lube.

:pac:

Buttered popcorn = yuck!

Mini Haagen Dasz/ben and jerry's ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is also the public health issue of half the cinema audience having greasy fingers afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Flavacol is indeed the magic ingredient that is added at the point of making popcorn that gives it its present "buttery" taste. A spoonful in on top of the maize previous to adding it to the oil ensures this.
    I can only speak about Omni etc in relation to why they are not doing the hot butter option any more. Its simply this claim culture that we are living in!!
    Staff suing for a burn from the hot pipes dispenser was an issue but also the decrease in each of the cinema sites insurance costs were an issue. Decrease with the removal of all hot foods etc from the foyer.
    Hence no coffee or teas past ticket check. No hotdogs or any other hot food options.
    Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Overheal wrote: »
    stop it youre gonna make me walk to the shop:pac:

FYP ;)

If only they'd get rid of the heated cheese for the nachos. That has burnt me many-a-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Coolock watered down the cheese for the nachos last week, tasted rank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

was there in coolock yesterday watching Baby Mama (swear was the missus who dragged me) and the cheese was grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

Lillyella wrote: »
    Coolock watered down the cheese for the nachos last week, tasted rank.

ah jesus

the beauty of the cheese was they mixed in the pepper juice into it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

syklops wrote: »
    Does anyone know why you can't get butter on popcorn in cinemas anymore? I used to love getting the stuff all of my popcorn. Now I have to bring my own which is a pain in the t1ts.

Why take away this lovely condiment? Could it be that it was starting to cost them too much money? Ideas anyone?
    Finally an issue close to my heart. Cinema near me stopped doing the butter. Useless. *Boycotts*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

How the **** do people manage to slip on the butter!? There's about like 20ml per box that almost all soaks into the freakin popcorn. I'd like to see someone even by design transfer a fatal amount of butter from the popcorn bucket to the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Seeing the number of people on here who like butter on their popcorn, I am going to start selling it out side the cinema, in little plastic bottles - like I use.

What do you think? Would you be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I was told it was because of sticky fingered cinema goers rubbing the popcorn into the seats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I miss the butter :( If it's because of health issues it's the stupidest idea ever. Why should I have to do without butter because some CHD risked person can't just choose no butter?! Similar opinion for the removing of the Super Size menu....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,379 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Removing the Supersize menu was the most intelligent thing ever tbh. They can all learn to lower the price instead of increasing the portion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I know someone who runs a couple of cinemas. They abandoned butter last year when their cleaning bill hit €750k. This year, cleaning will cost them about €200k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Took the wee lad (as in the brother, I'm not an 18 year old father!) to the cinema today for his birthday, and have to say the popcorn without butter just ain't good enough.

On the other hand, what iMax is saying is very true, it costs a fortune to clean up and all the rest.

Still, I'm going to be a greedy bastard, and demand butter for my popcorn. I might use my head next time, and buy a bag of crisps in Boots instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Overheal wrote: »
    Removing the Supersize menu was the most intelligent thing ever tbh. They can all learn to lower the price instead of increasing the portion.

Of course, that never happened, did it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭christinadublin

I am addicted to popcorn and its even better with butter. Yummy!!!
    Was abroad and went to the cinema. When I asked for butter on my popcorn the sales assistant never heard of it and thought I was crackers.

Advertisement