Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Warden seizes dog from outside shop while owner goes in to buy newspaper.

Options
  • 29-07-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me to the relevant legislation that allows this and the associated fee structure.

This happened to my neighbor.

The DW was outside the shop and he wrote out a ticket and told her to come to the pound and pay 150 euro to have the dog released.

When she got to the pound the bill was 250, the extra 100 was for a dog licence and the appropriate processing fee. The dog was licensed but they assumed it was not. No 250 = no dog and if not paid in 5 days dog would be put down so she just paid up and left with her dog.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I'd get a strongly worded solicitor's letter sent. That's your best bet tbh, especially as they had no right to charge for a license without checking first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Was the dog of lead or tied up out side the shop tell your nieghbour to get the dog out first and argue later. I've never heard of this been done before unless a dog is in danger I know they can write out a ticket for a dog of lead or no license or not picking up after the dog but taking them away ? was the dog being ill treated by the owner and he just happened to catch up with him at the shop ? Stupid question they wouldn't be givin it back to him if he was ? Boggled sorry ? With more info I could ring someone I know in the pound but I wouldn't know what to be asking with out it. Maybe he was getting it on with the wardens wife ? pay backs a b***h. I know they are sort on funds and they will try anything to get money or maybe the warden is just sick of seeing dogs being tied up outside of shops were they can't defend them selfs if attacked. It would be good enough reason for me I hate to see them tied up waiting on some dog to attack or kids kicking them then saying they did nothing the dog just bit them and has to be pts. I've seen it all before. If I had the right to remove the dog I would too.Any way fill us in when you know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It sounds a bit steep altogether and as far as I know fines are to be paid to the council not the pound. The owner is meant to bring the licence with them when retrieving a dog from the pound though, without the licence there is no proof that the owner has one.

I will just say though, they are lucky the dog was picked up by the pound and not a thief. They might never have seen the dog again, or it could have been ransomed back to them for a lot more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Car Wash makes good points. The dog obviously either had no collar/name tag/lead for it to have been seized. The pound had to charge for the licence if the owner couldn't produce it at the time. I certainly wouldn't go bull-headed into a solicitor's letter but would calmly contact the council with proof of the original licence and have no doubt they will refund that portion of the monies paid.
    As for why the dog was lifted - we certainly don't have the full story here so it's hard to comment. It could be a hard headed official or it could be irresponsible dog ownership but who are we to say without ALL the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0016.html#zza32y1986s16

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0011.html#zza32y1986s11

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0009.html#zza32y1986s9

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/act/pub/0013/sec0009.html#zza13y1992s9
    As for why the dog was lifted - we certainly don't have the full story here so it's hard to comment. It could be a hard headed official or it could be irresponsible dog ownership but who are we to say without ALL the facts.

Thats definitely the key point here Whitney Lazy Root. IF it is a 'hard headed official' then a phonecall or letter to the relevant person with overall responsibility for the dog warden service, in that area, maybe appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Thats alot of reading cole fair play to you for posting it, as all ways the laws are never straight forward for the ordinary jo soap to understand with all it's subsections and so fort you'd be there for forever and a day back and fort. I know people go to collage to learn this stuff !!

I'd have your neighbor look through this to try and figure what is going on and were she went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

the dog warden could have gone into the shop and ask who the owner was...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Sounds like a job for Joe Dufffffffy

Seriously, your neighbour should ring Joe and complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Demonique wrote: »
    Sounds like a job for Joe Dufffffffy

Seriously, your neighbour should ring Joe and complain

There was a discussion very similar to this one on the JD show recently.

Tbh, I'm against paying for a dog licence (although I have one for my lad) whilst at the same time I can have a cat, gold fish, pidgeons etc without the need for a licence.

But if I was the neighbour, I'd pay the ransom and get my dog back.

Advertisement