Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows is keeps connecting to my neighbours network

Options
  • 29-07-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

My own pc is working fine (I'm using sitecom software to manage this for me) but my gf's laptop keeps trying to connect to the neighbours network. Does anybody know how I can prevent this? Its Windows XP home.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Evil Phil wrote: »
    My own pc is working fine (I'm using sitecom software to manage this for me) but my gf's laptop keeps trying to connect to the neighbours network. Does anybody know how I can prevent this? Its Windows XP home.

Not much point in telling us what software you are using:rolleyes:

What software is your gf's laptop using? There is usually an option to indicate the prefered network in the software but it would be easier if you told us which software she is using i.e. the windows default or the wireless card manufacturer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

windows default

It can see our network but won't connect to it.

I've probably been a bit misleading in my original post too, it only sees out network now but still won't connect to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Are you using WEP , WPA or is your connection unsecured ? Could be firewall settings (often is , when you can see the network but can't connect) or the encryption key has been entered incorrectly or in the wrong field e.g. correct WEP key entered into WPA field on log-in dialogue . Windows' wizard automatically selects the appropriate field to enter the network key so that's unlikely in your case .
    Is your PC wired to the router ? If so , and if the network is unsecured , there is the possibility that the router has been hijacked . Dont mean to panic you here - it's only a possible and certainly not the most likely explanation .
    I'd log in to the router on your PC and disable encryption as a first step . See if the gf can connect and take it from there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

Check to see what's in preferred networks and assuming there are entries, check the order too. If your network is there, make sure it's top and remove any trace of the neighbour's one if it is listed.

After that I would do as others have suggested and make sure the settings are all correct.

Advertisement