Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maxwell Motors will not renew BMW franchise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

E92 wrote: »
    It's fairly common knowledge at this stage that Kevin O'Leary is losing the BMW/MINI franchise in Cork.

Personally I'm disappointed that KO'L lost the BMW franchise if for no other reason than that I feel it is good for competition and the consumer to have competing dealerships near each other. I would hope that BMW will appoint a second dealer other than Kearys for Cork, for precisely those reasons.

Seems that this rumour has been doing the rounds for ages now, when exactly are they going to implement the loss? Kevin himself is still driving his 08 7 series around proud as punch!
    On another note, i thought the ads in the Cork Examiner were just for Audi dealership, no sign of Volks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

TheDriver wrote: »
    Seems that this rumour has been doing the rounds for ages now, when exactly are they going to implement the loss? Kevin himself is still driving his 08 7 series around proud as punch!
    On another note, i thought the ads in the Cork Examiner were just for Audi dealership, no sign of Volks?

I believe that KOL have to be gone from BMW by October and that Keary's are opening a second BMW franchise in Little Island. That's from people within the organisations but who knows how accurate it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Isn't that great, 2 dealerships by the one crowd! Long live competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

BMW warranties are only held if regular scheduled servicing takes place with authorised parts by authorised mechanics.

Incorrect.

Block exemption legislation in Europe means that your independent mechanic doesn't even have to use BMW parts to maintain your warranty. In the event of a warranty claim the onus would be on BMW to prove that the parts used were the cause of the failure/claim.

For some reason, dealers and manufacturers don't seem to want to advertise these facts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Car dealer furious at rumours of bankruptcy

ONE of the country's most successful car dealerships say they have set an all-time monthly record for sales in July, despite rumours of bankruptcy.

Management at Joe Duffy Motors have told the Herald that there is no foundation whatsoever in the rumours that the company is about to enter liquidation.

Despite the economic downturn and talk that the 36-year-old company was on the verge of collapse, Group Managing Director Gavin Hydes says it is "going from strength to strength in a difficult market".

Management at the company are refusing to speculate on who may have started the rumours, but a staff member told the Herald that there is considerable concern that the gossip may be scaring customers away.

One staff member said: "Customers are not coming because they hear these things," adding that it is "quite possible" that somebody or people are attempting to blacken the company's name.

Speculation

The company holds the number one position in Ireland for the BMW, Mini and Motorrad franchises but for months now, staff have been subjected to speculation of massive job losses and possibly liquidation of the dealership.

Among the claims that management admit having heard is that staff hadn't been paid and some had been arrested for taking matters into their own hands.

"We've even been told that we're not getting paid and that staff were arrested for leaving the office with computers in their bags. It's crazy stuff," a staff member said.

But Mr Hydes has now stepped in to reassure staff and customers by describing their July results as "unprecedented".

"They go against all the doom and gloom and show we're far from being in trouble. In fact it's the opposite in a difficult market," said the shareholder.

BMW was one of the car types that faired well from the emission-linked tax rates introduced on July 1 and Joe Duffy Motors have sold a record number.

A total of 138 BMW cars were sold nationwide during June, but Joe Duffy Motors alone sold some 246 during July.

"We sold a total 277 BMWs and Minis in July; surely that demonstrates the strength of our business," Mr Hydes said.

Biggest

The company operates from one of the biggest motor showrooms in the country, at Exit 5 from the M50 near Finglas in Dublin.

The building alone cost an estimated €15m to build and more than 100 people are employed there.

It has also invested in Opel and Mazda dealerships and Mr Hydes says that when these are taken into account, the company sold more than 400 new cars in July overall.

Auditors are currently updating the company's accounts and the financial results, which are expected to show a turnover of around €80m, will be made public in two to three weeks.

Once these results are in the public domain, management hope that the rumours will completely quashed.

In general, car sales have suffered this year as a result of the Government's changes to VRT rates and the impact of the credit crunch.

According to the research by the Society of the Irish Motoring Industry, the number of second-hand cars sold in the first half of the year was down nearly 19pc on last year -- 124,146 cars, compared to 152,938 in the first six months of 2007.

- Kevin Doyle

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/car-dealer-furious-at--rumours-of-bankruptcy-1448616.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

milltown wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Block exemption legislation in Europe means that your independent mechanic doesn't even have to use BMW parts to maintain your warranty. In the event of a warranty claim the onus would be on BMW to prove that the parts used were the cause of the failure/claim.

For some reason, dealers and manufacturers don't seem to want to advertise these facts though.

Entirely correct, but your wasting your time making that point to people using this forum, BMW won that propaganda battle a long time ago. I know people who have bought BMW's from some of the dealerships mentioned in this thread and the feedback seems to consistently be that it is the aftersales customer service that is letting down these businesses. There is no excuse for this when your labour rate is almost certainly over 100 Euro if not closer to twice that amount. Unfortunately for people setting "prestige" cars, I keep hearing that their customer service delivery is worlds away from that. The one dealership I keep hearing this about is Joe Duffy. A mate of mine runs a company turning over 10 million approx per annum but has a funny way of getting stuck into the workplace and being all "hands on", which means he changes into scruffy jeans and usually ends up not looking like an MD maybe ought to look at the end of the day. Anyway, he jumps into his company jeep recently and goes up to Joe Duffy to look for a car for this wife, he is wearing jeans and runners. A sales rep tells him after speaking to him, "listen, you're in the wrong place mate..."!!! You couldn't make it up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Imperator

Darragh29 wrote: »
    . Anyway, he jumps into his company jeep recently and goes up to Joe Duffy to look for a car for this wife, he is wearing jeans and runners. A sales rep tells him after speaking to him, "listen, you're in the wrong place mate..."!!! You couldn't make it up!!!

I can actually second that. I've never left Joe Duffy with a good feeling. I purchased a car from the said garage, It was brand new and cost me a fair amount. It was supposed to be "made to order". when they produced the car for my collection it was missing half of what i orderd. The result was a shrug of the shoulders and a simple "oh we can put your order back on list" which i took to mean, "if you dont want it someone else will buy it". Being in the position of buying this car for someone dear to me, i was bitterly dissapointed and the excitment was taken out of it. I succumbed to their second suggestion about having what i ordered i.e "cream leather seats and xenons" put in by the garage. They agreed and i was able to pick it up the following saturday. What shocked me then was that i received a bill. I laughed at this suggestion that i should pay a bill for something i had already paid for. their respons was one of the best i've ever heard "well somebody is going to have to pay" and that they would have to be liase with their legal department if i was not willing to pay. I allowed them to liase away. I took the car and never heard of the issue again. Every service since then something i didnt ask for has been replaced and installed with out my prior permission and the car has comeback broken on 1 occassion. All in all i have found it a highly unsatisfactory expierence, Sorry for the length.

Imperator wrote: »
    I can actually second that. I've never left Joe Duffy with a good feeling. I purchased a car from the said garage, It was brand new and cost me a fair amount. It was supposed to be "made to order". when they produced the car for my collection it was missing half of what i orderd. The result was a shrug of the shoulders and a simple "oh we can put your order back on list" which i took to mean, "if you dont want it someone else will buy it". Being in the position of buying this car for someone dear to me, i was bitterly dissapointed and the excitment was taken out of it. I succumbed to their second suggestion about having what i ordered i.e "cream leather seats and xenons" put in by the garage. They agreed and i was able to pick it up the following saturday. What shocked me then was that i received a bill. I laughed at this suggestion that i should pay a bill for something i had already paid for. their respons was one of the best i've ever heard "well somebody is going to have to pay" and that they would have to be liase with their legal department if i was not willing to pay. I allowed them to liase away. I took the car and never heard of the issue again. Every service since then something i didnt ask for has been replaced and installed with out my prior permission and the car has comeback broken on 1 occassion. All in all i have found it a highly unsatisfactory expierence, Sorry for the length.

Do you not feel angry and insulted by this kind of customer service??? I can't get my head around spending the kind of the figures involved in buying a BMW from places like Maxwell Motor's of Joe Duffy and not having a positive customer service experience. Maybe this is why Maxwell Motor's are outsourcing the servicing/aftersales end of the business??? I would have thought that a properly run BMW Service Dept would be a licence to print money??? As others will know from my posts here, I'm not a fan of BMW's or BMW drivers, I can't relate to them but I'm sure BMW ought to be capable of researching what their customers want when it comes to aftersales and delivering it on most occasions???

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of BMW's or BMW drivers, I can't relate to them but I'm sure BMW ought to be capable of researching what their customers want when it comes to aftersales and delivering it on most occasions???

I am aware you are not fans of bmw's. I was very angry about it. It was my first real expierence with BMW and that car has now since passed. It is a learning curve that brought me to bring my cars to the uk, the north in particular to service my cars. IT has proved exceptionally cost effective to do so for me. As has the customer service and gernerally understanding among the service staff that you are giving them an inordinante amount of money and understand you could easily give it somewhere else. However Darragh, what you must understand it's not just BMW's its most high end car retailers in this country, most notably Mercedes who brought me to the point of utter dispair.

How ever i don't think it is fair to hi jack this thread into a HOW BAD ARE BMW thread, its not about that, i think valid factual reasons for perhaps joe duffy being in financial trouble if it is true they are would be better. I dont really see the point of injecting too much emotion, although i understand your concern Darragh

• Advertisement

Imperator wrote: »
    I am aware you are not fans of bmw's. I was very angry about it. It was my first real expierence with BMW and that car has now since passed. It is a learning curve that brought me to bring my cars to the uk, the north in particular to service my cars. IT has proved exceptionally cost effective to do so for me. As has the customer service and gernerally understanding among the service staff that you are giving them an inordinante amount of money and understand you could easily give it somewhere else. However Darragh, what you must understand it's not just BMW's its most high end car retailers in this country, most notably Mercedes who brought me to the point of utter dispair.

I'm trying to challenge my own set of belief's on this particular subject. Does it not stand to reason that it is less likely that you would experience this from a seller of "marque or prestige" vehicles and more likely you would expeirence it from a seller like say Ford or Nissan, cars that are obviously less in value and not as highly sought after??? Maybe this is for a new thread, I don't want the BMTroubleU PC brigade down on me again for being off topic...

I think a new thread would be a better idea, as would looking at it being high end Marques rather than just bmw. I'd debate that with you any day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Rumours about Pat Keogh's would seem to be unfounded accorfing to this week's Limerick Post.

Page 48 tells of expansion due at the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I had problems with JD when buying a bike, but a quick call to BMW Ireland to make a complaint about the guy involved I got a call back from the guy involved, he was very sorry, and everything would be sorted. After every service I get a call from BMW ireland to ask if everything was ok.

Darragh, Sorry but I find your story hard to believe. They turned someone away because of his clothes? I'm assuming he called managers down, made serious complaints and got heads to roll.

Quint wrote: »
    After every service I get a call from BMW ireland to ask if everything was ok.

Toyota Ireland do this too....but it's a written form so that you can take your time to note things. I'm not sure whether they followed up with a phone call, it's my parents' car.

I had problems with JD when buying a bike, but a quick call to BMW Ireland to make a complaint about the guy involved I got a call back from the guy involved, he was very sorry, and everything would be sorted. After every service I get a call from BMW ireland to ask if everything was ok.

Darragh, Sorry but I find your story hard to believe. They turned someone away because of his clothes? I'm assuming he called managers down, made serious complaints and got heads to roll.

Not at all, I told him he should have gone to Mc Keon's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Darragh, Sorry but I find your story hard to believe. They turned someone away because of his clothes?

I believe it compeletely. I've had worse from a Merc dealer while trying to test-drive a Merc, presumably because the salesmen didn't think I looked old/rich enough. I did not yell or complain, I just walked away, and won't be going back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sadly its quite true, My uncle has his own company and he'd been driving a 91 5 series (I think) he bought it brand new in 91, he's been doing very well for himself and 2 years ago went to buy a brand new 5 series. So I went with him to JD to pretty much have a nosey around. I was in jeans and a T shirt, my uncle was in the same as he's not a suit wearing man.

We were in the garage a good 15 minutes looking around before anyone approached us, and tbh he seemed to think we were window lickers and weren't actually going to buy any car!
    My uncle asked him about the various specs and extras and I kid you not "a 00 3 series would be more in your price range don't you think" was the reply Q an angry response from my uncle and then one of the senior guys came over my uncle told him what happened his response was a shrug of the shoulders, off we went to a merc dealership and he bought one same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

off we went to a merc dealership and he bought one same day.

I went to the Spar the other day to buy a Banana, the sales guy was rude so I went to Centra and bought a Lemon....

Am I the only one who finds this stuff hard to believe? You go to look at a BMW and receive crap service, why go and buy a Merc, why not go to another dealer and get the car you wanted in the first place? After all, you are shopping for a certain car, aren't you?

I went to the Spar the other day to buy a Banana, the sales guy was rude so I went to Centra and bought a Lemon....

Am I the only one who finds this stuff hard to believe? You go to look at a BMW and receive crap service, why go and buy a Merc, why not go to another dealer and get the car you wanted in the first place? After all, you are shopping for a certain car, aren't you?

I know, I can't get my head around it. I wish I had a business where I could tell people to basically fu*k off and I'd still be busy... I'm surprised Joe Duffy hasn't gone down the MCD route with the remarks being made on his business on this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

BMW took my complaint very serious, I was told to complain to them by another disgruntled customer, who got the same joy. I reckoned if your mate told them what happened they'd go spare! I know the reaction is to walk away and spend money elsewhere, but my reaction would be to make them pay for treatment like that. Don't let them get away with it! Walking away is what they want you to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

After all, you are shopping for a certain car, aren't you?

In my case, no, the Merc was on my list, but I hadn't even driven one, and I wasn't set on having one. I showed up for a test-drive and the salesman I had spoken to (in person!) to arrange it was not there because he was on his day off and had taken the demo car with him. The senior sales dude on duty, on being told of the problem, exclaimed "The durty eejit!", and grinned at me as if I was supposed to find this kind of service funny.

This kind of nonsense is no reflection on the car, of course, but would you want to deal with these muppets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

A car salesman with years and years of experience would know better than to judge a person's buying power by their appearance. You usually find that the principal or senior staff of a dealership will take you far more seriously as a potential sale or customer than the uninitiated salesman.

The Johnny come lately type salesmen in shiny suits that are still wet between the ears would be the type to go by stereotypes. They know no better as they generally come from a very ordinary background. Get delusions of grandeur when selling prestige vehicles. People who probably trained in the retail clothing sector and such like and are duped by image and appearance.

Because the more money people have and the longer they have it usually the more understated and down to earth they become. Those dressed up to the nines quite often are pinstripe paupers living in sin with their flexible friends.

___

I remember Autocar running an article about this years ago, and the varying attitudes in prestige dealers and people dressing down to distinguish a good dealership from a bad one. BMW dealers featured prominently.

I'd say this superficial attitude is more the case in Dublin. People down the country are not so quick to judge a book by its cover.

___

I could care less about Duffy's and the like but their statement reminds me of a football chairman giving his team manager a vote of confidence. Selling lots of new cars is only good if straight deals or where you can actually sell on the trade-ins above cost as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The only thing to do then is if you receive lousy service is put your response in writing to the dealership principal, name the offending salesperson and explain the outcome.

I received excellent service from a salesperson recently but ended up buying a different brand abroad, but I fully intend to let him know that while he didn't get the sale, his service was outstanding.

The feedback should go both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Oilrig has been driving BMW's for over 20 years, I can recommend Frank Keane - Naas Rd. Faultless in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Actually it is quite common. I have a fromer BMW fan friend who used to deal with a BMW dealer (not JD) and was let down on one occasion. Not only did he go and buy a new Merc shortly after instead but he has traded in for newer models 3 times since. As he puts it, there are more than three letters in prestiege.

It reminds me also about a female friend who went into a garage to buy a certain second hand car and was told by the salesman that the warranty wouldnt include the clutch because, and I quote verbatim, "they get far too many cars bought by women in for clutch replacements". She went elsewhere. I didn't believe that only for the corroborating evidence of another friend who was with her.

Wasn't there a guy about 10 years ago that was buying 2-3 top end cars (7 Series/S-Class) that tested the customer service by sending his 10 year old to ask questions about the cars....I think JD came out the winner in that particular story...well definitely featured anyway!

If it's not busy what harm is there in showing someone a car...even if they are only taking the p1ss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The only thing to do then is if you receive lousy service is put your response in writing to the dealership principal, name the offending salesperson and explain the outcome.

I received excellent service from a salesperson recently but ended up buying a different brand abroad, but I fully intend to let him know that while he didn't get the sale, his service was outstanding.

The feedback should go both ways.

I think this is a brilliant idea, I wish more people would do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

ninty9er wrote: »
    Wasn't there a guy about 10 years ago that was buying 2-3 top end cars (7 Series/S-Class) that tested the customer service by sending his 10 year old to ask questions about the cars....I think JD came out the winner in that particular story...well definitely featured anyway!

If it's not busy what harm is there in showing someone a car...even if they are only taking the p1ss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndhGCZs7a_s

If only all dealers were like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

To be fair to JD's, they actually ignore everyone who comes into the showroom, not just badly dressed millionaires! it's incredible how so many people with only one job to do, sell cars, can look busy with 10 people standing around the showroom, and it's not like they are in their offices calling people back over enquiries either, I have phoned them many times in the past with both sales queries and service queries and never once have I been called back. If fact the only time I get a call from them is after I have parted with any cash to see how my experience with them was, although I suspect that BMW Ireland make those calls.

I have bought 4 BMW's in the last 8 years 2 of them from JD's and despite the fact that they are only 10 mins away from my house I will only use them as a browsing facility from now on, I'll never spend a penny with them again.

Maxwell's on the other hand I was very happy with, i'll be sorry to see them go, but Frank Keane have always been courteous, professional and call back so they will be getting my business next time I buy from a dealership.

That Porsche ad is very good by the way.

Edit: By the way Park motors/MSL on the Navan road are just as bad so It doesn't seem to be purely a BMW sales practise, I think they all got cocky and complacent over the last 10 years with the cars pretty much selling themselves - Not any more!

Advertisement