Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Related: America Visa for family (dad studying)

Options
  • 29-07-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help out here if not maybe a mod can put it in the right place.

Friend of mine is considering (very strongly) undergoing pilot training in the USA, there's no problem there, it costs $70,000 for the year & they organise the visa.

The question he needs answered is what would be his options with the family, he has a wife & two kids, boy aged four & girl aged seven.

Obviously (& I'm not endorsing anything illegal) they would be able to come and go for 2.5/3 months at a time, but would the kids (specifically the girl) be able to be enrolled in school while there ?

They're planning on renting out their house here, not selling, so would still have ties to the country. In addition, they are in a position to be able to support themselves for the year (they sold another property they had & now have in excess of €150k in the bank).

My friend thinks they would get by on $120,000 for the year (including his fees).

Could they all go for the year or would they have to come & go (as previously stated) ? Would €32,000 ($50,000) be enough for the year do you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

iMax wrote: »
    Hi,

Hopefully someone can help out here if not maybe a mod can put it in the right place.

Friend of mine is considering (very strongly) undergoing pilot training in the USA, there's no problem there, it costs $70,000 for the year & they organise the visa.

The question he needs answered is what would be his options with the family, he has a wife & two kids, boy aged four & girl aged seven.

Obviously (& I'm not endorsing anything illegal) they would be able to come and go for 2.5/3 months at a time, but would the kids (specifically the girl) be able to be enrolled in school while there ?

They're planning on renting out their house here, not selling, so would still have ties to the country. In addition, they are in a position to be able to support themselves for the year (they sold another property they had & now have in excess of €150k in the bank).

My friend thinks they would get by on $120,000 for the year (including his fees).

Could they all go for the year or would they have to come & go (as previously stated) ? Would €32,000 ($50,000) be enough for the year do you think ?

Check with flight school if they have any spouses/families staying with their foreign students while they study.
    Then check with US Immigration http://www.uscis.gov as to options.

Better safe than sorry these days since if they find them doing anything dodgy, his ass will be on a plane home so fast and he won't be the one flying it.

What part of states is he going to ?
    I know in Florida single guys/gals could live cheapily, but that was usually in not great accommodation and if they were lucky and rich driving rent a reck type cars etc.
    Of course there were no family and kids involved, although some guys did end up lost the following morning in trailer parks a few times :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Hey !

Thanks for the reply. He's thinking of Orlando. I told him to check it out with the embassy here but he's afraid they'll ask his name & it could put his application in jeopardy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hey !

Thanks for the reply. He's thinking of Orlando. I told him to check it out with the embassy here but he's afraid they'll ask his name & it could put his application in jeopardy

Well he should get his study visa out of the way and then when he has it call the embassy and ask if family can stay longer than 3 month tourist visa allows.
    One thing for sure is, his family shouldn't go over on tourist visa and stay longer than it allows. His name will be linked to it and it puts his position in jeopardy down the line.
    Orlando should be great for kids but remember they can't be going to Disney/Universal every day if they want to stay within tight budget.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Completely unrelated to flying, but through my work, I have gotten various visas to work in the US for extended periods of time (i.e. more than three months).

The last time, the visa category I had (can't remember what it was) had a sub-category for spouse and family, on which my wife accompanied me.

My point is that if you are legally entitled to a visa (which sounds like your friend is), I wouldn't be surprised if there was a relevant sub-category to allow his wife and kids to legally stay in the US for the duration of his studies.

Thanks for the reply Tom, You don't know if the kids could be enroled in school for the year, do you ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Tom, You don't know if the kids could be enroled in school for the year, do you ?

If the wife is entitled to a visa, then the kids will be, therefore can enrol in school.

I know for a fact that any of my (Irish) co-workers in the US that had kids, enrolled them in school.

Thanks again, I'll let them know

Hang on, I've just copped your name, Are you "Tom Dunne" Tom Dunne ???

Hang on, I've just copped your name, Are you "Tom Dunne" Tom Dunne ???

Guilty as charged.

Advertisement