Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get rid of old furniture?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I have a sofa, two chairs and a bed I need to dispose of. Anyone know how best to get rid of them? I'm looking for someone who will take them away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

mildews wrote: »

Thanks for that but I was thinking they'd only be fit for dumping. So I need someone who'll take them away for disposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

I would suggest you put them up anyway...even if you think they are "rubbish". You wouldnt believe the c**p i've gotten rid of on these sites.(well one of them anyway):D:D:D

mildews wrote: »
    I would suggest you put them up anyway...even if you think they are "rubbish". You wouldnt believe the c**p i've gotten rid of on these sites.(well one of them anyway):D:D:D

Well for future reference I think I will. I'm in hurry now though, I have new stuff arriving in a few days and I don't want to take the chance that I'll end up with both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It depends where you are. Most councils have a service to pick up large items of waste under a fixed schedule of charges.

You could also hire a mini-skip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

My mother in law lives up in ceannts fort I believe the council sent round a notice asking people to leave out any unwanted furniture and they would collect it on such a day... A number of people did do this but the stuff was only on the street for a few hours before members of the travelling community came round and made off with the lot.

I am sure if you ask one of these guys they will take the lot off your hands pronto...

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You should make sure anyone who takes the furniture has a waste permit for the region you're in so it doesn't end up in some field. I'm in the process of getting one myself but it takes a few weeks and there's a good bit involved so it'll still be a few weeks before I have it. They cost a fair chunk of money so I'd be wary of any dodgy looking folk who simply say they have it.

Anything that will carry the amount of stuff you want to get rid of will cost a fair chunk to get into bring centres/recycling plants/dumps without the permit. Ballyogan for example charge €100 :eek: but there's one in Ringsend which charge €45. They aren't supposed to allow commercially branded vehicles in, but of the very few times I've been, I've never had a problem.

I got the number of a guy from Des Kellys who'll take the stuff away for €85. I've no idea if he has a permit or not, or how to check.

Advertisement