Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change CD Player in MK4 VW Golk

Options
  • 29-07-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

I hope someone can give me a little guidance on this.

I've never changed a CD Player in a car before but want to put a new one into a MK4 Golf. I was wondering if anyone can give me a few tips on how to do it without hassle.

Many thanks,
    Nige.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I used to have a Mark 4 Golf, but can't remember if the stereo was integrated or a standard DIN unit?

If it's a standard DIN unit then you could always go down the hassle free route and buy one from Argos - some of them come (or used to) with free installation.

If it's an integrated one, you may have to get a fascia surround plus a cable harness, and it may not look right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Hardest thing is taking the existing cassette/cd player out, this is best done by either a coat hanger or by purchasing a removal tool from a motor factors, basically there's slight gaps on each side of the stereo, you need to press the tool or hanger into these gapsto release clips which hold the stereo in place. Fitting the new CD player you will get a cage which will have edges that you bend to make it lock into the gap left by the previous stereo, then you just connect the new CD player to the cable from the previous one. Make sure you put the aerial and iso connecting cables both securely into the stereo before you slide it into place. A word of warning though, you will need to unclip the red to red and yellow to yellow wires from the wiring loom so that red goes to yellow and then yellow goes to red, otherwise you will lose all stored stations on your new CD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nige_jude

Cheers for the replies. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I fitted a VW 6cd changer to my old golf. It went in where the cubby hole is in the dash. You can get single slot players or the 6cd changer, I got mine off ebay but a mate of mine found one in a scrappy. The cable simply plugs into the back of the standard radio. I liked it as it looked standard and kept the car original.

There are a lot better quality non standard CD players/MP3 players out there though so if you're into your music it might be a better idea to get one of those. You will need a mounting panel to fit one of these and a wiring loom to connect it. They have them in Halfords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

Hi, I'm changing my CD player also.. It's an after market Pioneer, but a bit out-dated. I want one with SD reader and USB port.. Saw them on ebay..

Anyway, the speakers in the MK4 Golf, IMO, are the crappiest I have ever heard in a car.. The sound system in my old Clio was street ahead.
    Does anyone know is it a big job to replace the speakers? Roughly how much will it cost? I don't want anything chavvy now, just decent quality that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

The mk4 gold has an amplified aerial so make sure you get a separate aerial amp otherwise you will have poor radio reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭qmac

Hi

It sounds like you guys might be able to help me.

I just bought a Mark IV Golf that has a Sony head unit.

I would prefer to get the original back in there, or something similar, where is the best place to find one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

www.ebay.ie? May find someone grateful to shift a stock one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭qmac

Haven't had any luck there just yet, but I've just started looking.

Cheers

Advertisement