Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BT] ADSL Speed upgrades

Options
  • 29-07-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Has anyone had their BT broadband upgraded lately and found the following problems.

1. Not gotten the full upgrade speed i.e mine should have gone from 3mb to 8mb has only gone to 6.1mb

2. Found that their broadband is now slower than when they had the lower package.

Mine was allegedly upgraded over the week end and is now slower than before the upgrade

302220985.png

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Croc wrote: »
    Has anyone had their BT broadband upgraded lately and found the following problems.

1. Not gotten the full upgrade speed i.e mine should have gone from 3mb to 8mb has only gone to 6.1mb

2. Found that their broadband is now slower than when they had the lower package.

Mind was allegedly upgraded over the week end and is now slower than before the upgrade

302220985.png

You're assuming your line is capable of these speeds. Get your line stats from your router and post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Mind was allegedly upgraded over the week end and is now slower than before the upgrade

302220985.png

Please go to the home page of your router and post your line stats (attenuation and noise margin). It may be that your line simply isn't capable of 7.6mb. Browsing the internet may also appear slower because your ping times have increased with the upgrade (others are reporting the same problem). Can you please run a speedtest on the following site and tell us your results(speedtest.net can be inaccurate);
    http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ADSL Compliance
    ! Support ANSI T1.413 Issue 2, ITU-T G.992.1
    (G.DMT), ITU-T G.992.2 (G.Lite) Annex A
    ! Support ADSL2/2+ ITU G.992.3, G.992.4,
    G.992.5A
    ! ADSL: Up to 8 Mbps downstream and up to 1
    Mbps upstream operating at DMT full rate
    connection
    ! ADSL2+: G.992.5A, Up to 24 Mbps downstream
    and up to 3Mbps upstream operating
    ATM Protocols
    ! ADSL Physical connection supports ATM AAL5
    (ATM Adaptation Layer type 5).
    ! PPP over ATM (RFC 2364)
    ! PPP over Ethernet (RFC 2516)
    ! Support up to 16 VCs (Virtual Circuit) –
    UBR/CBR/VBR

Thats for my Voyager 210 ADSL.

Does that mean that can nadle 8MB Broadband? Bt haveny done our area yet. Still on 3.

noodler wrote: »
    ADSL Compliance
    ! Support ANSI T1.413 Issue 2, ITU-T G.992.1
    (G.DMT), ITU-T G.992.2 (G.Lite) Annex A
    ! Support ADSL2/2+ ITU G.992.3, G.992.4,
    G.992.5A
    ! ADSL: Up to 8 Mbps downstream and up to 1
    Mbps upstream operating at DMT full rate
    connection
    ! ADSL2+: G.992.5A, Up to 24 Mbps downstream
    and up to 3Mbps upstream operating
    ATM Protocols
    ! ADSL Physical connection supports ATM AAL5
    (ATM Adaptation Layer type 5).
    ! PPP over ATM (RFC 2364)
    ! PPP over Ethernet (RFC 2516)
    ! Support up to 16 VCs (Virtual Circuit) –
    UBR/CBR/VBR

Thats for my Voyager 210 ADSL.

Does that mean that can nadle 8MB Broadband? Bt haveny done our area yet. Still on 3.
    Post your attenuation and noise margin figures- find them! They are what is needed to determine if your line is capable of 7.6mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

rc28 wrote: »
    Please go to the home page of your router and post your line stats (attenuation and noise margin). It may be that your line simply isn't capable of 7.6mb. Browsing the internet may also appear slower because your ping times have increased with the upgrade (others are reporting the same problem). Can you please run a speedtest on the following site and tell us your results(speedtest.net can be inaccurate);
    http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

Line Attenuation 44.0 db 24.5 db
    Noise Margin 12.7 db 13.0 db
    First Figure Quoted is down second is up

Irish ISP Test Give the following speeds

Download speed 272 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 186 Kbps (socket test)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Broadband is a Rate Adaptable so if even if you should be getting 8MB and its only coming at 6MB then its more likely thats all your line will allow( ie. The line is rubbish). As for the rest of you're problems not sure.

Broadband is a Rate Adaptable so if even if you should be getting 8MB and its only coming at 6MB then its more likely thats all your line will allow( ie. The line is rubbish). As for the rest of you're problems not sure.

I am aware of that, was just really interested to know was it just me or where others having problems as well, should have stated in my original post that i am talking about the Douglas Exchange.

Thanks for the replies

Line Attenuation 44.0 db 24.5 db
    Noise Margin 12.7 db 13.0 db
    First Figure Quoted is down second is up

Irish ISP Test Give the following speeds

Download speed 272 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 186 Kbps (socket test)
    Ok firstly those dl and ul speeds are woeful , even for 3mb . Secondly, your line is not of good enough quality to get 7.6mb. Unless you can improve your snr(noise margin) by the methods in the following link then I'm afraid you are going to have to ask BT to downgrade you to the 3mb package (formerly 2mb) and save yourself some money too as you definitely won't sync near 7mb.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56673483&postcount=1492
    You might also try ringing BT and asking them if there is a problem on their end.
    Before the upgrade were you getting the full speeds from a 3mb package? Run some more speedtests because I don't really believe your download speed is that bad- make sure no one else is using your connection or some programme on your pc is downloading something.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Hi there,
    Can someone explain if I will be able to avail of the speed increase.
    I am on BT 3 MB

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation: Downstrean 57.0 db, Upstream 31.5 db
    Noise Margin 11.3 db 12.0 db

Ok firstly those dl and ul speeds are woeful , even for 3mb . Secondly, your line is not of good enough quality to get 7.6mb. Unless you can improve your snr(noise margin) by the methods in the following link then I'm afraid you are going to have to ask BT to downgrade you to the 3mb package (formerly 2mb) and save yourself some money too as you definitely won't sync near 7mb.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56673483&postcount=1492
    You might also try ringing BT and asking them if there is a problem on their end.
    Before the upgrade were you getting the full speeds from a 3mb package? Run some more speedtests because I don't really believe your download speed is that bad- make sure no one else is using your connection or some programme on your pc is downloading something.

Nothing is being downloaded,
    I was getting the full speed in the 3mb Package
    I can get up to 4000kbps depending on the time of day i run the tests, but on the 3mb package i was getting about 2800 kbps on average,

I am beginning to agree with you that the line can't take it. If thats the case then i will be downgrading. As i said earlier i suspected that was the problem but i just wanted to see if anyone else was having a problem before i call them

• Advertisement

regedit wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am on BT 3 MB

Have a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Nothing is being downloaded,
    I was getting the full speed in the 3mb Package
    I can get up to 4000kbps depending on the time of day i run the tests, but on the 3mb package i was getting about 2800 kbps on average,

I am beginning to agree with you that the line can't take it. If thats the case then i will be downgrading. As i said earlier i suspected that was the problem but i just wanted to see if anyone else was having a problem before i call them

Even though you can get 4000kb at times the upgrade has probably made your line unstable by lowering your SNR too much which can cause disconnects. Anyway, you'll save a good bit by downgrading and your pings should improve too- better for gaming, VOIP.

Hi there,
    I am on BT 3 MB

:eek:
    Thats's very bad attenuation to even be syncing at 3mb- are you getting the full speeds for that package:
    Would you mind posting a speedtest reult from either of the following;
    http://speedtest.net/
    http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php
    If your line stats are like that all the time (ie not just a temporary blip due to faulty router/filter) then I'm sorry but your line just isn't capable of higher speeds. I'm surprised BT even let you get a 3mb package as I have attenuation that varies between 48 and 51 but they only offered me 1mb!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

Hey croc - had the exact same problem - but upgraded my router to the new BT yoyager 2110 - sorted it. had the old zyxel 623 - what router have you. Also found that my Digisender was playing havoc with the speed of the connection, if you are on wireless. best of luck
    :)

Langer wrote: »
    Hey croc - had the exact same problem - but upgraded my router to the new BT yoyager 2110 - sorted it. had the old zyxel 623 - what router have you. Also found that my Digisender was playing havoc with the speed of the connection, if you are on wireless. best of luck

I was using the standard one suppled by BT (forgotten the make in the attic and to lazy to go up) I am now using a Netgear DG834GT made no difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I was using the standard one suppled by BT (forgotten the make in the attic and to lazy to go up) I am now using a Netgear DG834GT made no difference

Croc, the Noise is a little high and the Attentuation is a high which would explain why you are only synching at 6 & not 8MB. I would disconnect everything from you're phoneline and connect the Netgear to the main socket and check the Noise Margin again and if its improved. One last thing is to make sure everything on the telephone line has a Microfilter connected.

Croc, the Noise is a little high and the Attentuation is a high which would explain why you are only synching at 6 & not 8MB. I would disconnect everything from you're phoneline and connect the Netgear to the main socket and check the Noise Margin again and if its improved. One last thing is to make sure everything on the telephone line has a Microfilter connected.

Have disconnected everything no joy, everything has a filter.
    Its obviously at this stage that the quality of the line or lack of it thats causing the problem.

Thanks for the advise thou

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Hi there,
    I am on BT 3 MB

Your line is actually performing amazingly well for what it is. With attenuation that high you would be expecting a much lower signal to noise ratio so much so in fact that you normally shouldn't be able to get anything much over 1mbit. You should feel very lucky that you're on 3mbit but you definitely wouldn't be able to get anymore than it.

:eek:
    Thats's very bad attenuation to even be syncing at 3mb- are you getting the full speeds for that package:
    Would you mind posting a speedtest reult from either of the following;
    http://speedtest.net/
    http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php
    If your line stats are like that all the time (ie not just a temporary blip due to faulty router/filter) then I'm sorry but your line just isn't capable of higher speeds. I'm surprised BT even let you get a 3mb package as I have attenuation that varies between 48 and 51 but they only offered me 1mb!

Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 2650992 bps
    Upload speed: 241176 bps
    Quality of service: 99 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum download pause: 12 ms
    Average download pause: 7 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 1 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 1 ms
    VoIP test statistics
    Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
    Jitter: server --> you: off
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
    Packet loss: server --> you: off
    Packet discards: 0.0 %
    Packets out of order: 0.0 %
    Number of supported VoIP lines: 4
    Estimated MOS score: 4.2

http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php is telling me that I have an average jitter of 0.6 ms and that packet loss is 0%. Upstream packet order 100%
    Download speed is 2.65 and upload speed 322 kbps.
    Quality of service 99%

302753308.png
    331.8 kB/s DL
    401kB/s DL
    Ping 49 ms

Wow, you are extremely lucky to be able to get that with such bad stats. As a matter of interest how did you order the 3mb package? BT flat out refused to offer us higher than 1mb! Did they make any fuss when you were ordering it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Im getting as much as I expected on 7.6mb Bt package

302769984.png

znaa0pjvlfw1lpv5jku.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Langer wrote: »

I have the Voyager 210 as well. That mean its okay for 8mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump in on this one but just wondering if anybody could clarify a few things for me.

I've been on the BT 3mb package for the last 3 years - I live in Mornington Co.Meath and as far as I'm aware I'm on the Bettystown exchange.

I'd been keeping an eye on the BT website re: 8mb BB availability and last I looked Meath was on the "coming soon" list fot this.

I've logged on to the web-site this morning to see that people can now avail of 24mb in certain areas (not mine obviously) and all other users on the 3mb package will avail of 7.6mb - is this correct? Will I have been upgarded from 3mb -> 7.6mb automatically or do I need to do something?

I have the following router:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways/DG834N.aspx

Any advice on above and router would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

EireEV

Wow, you are extremely lucky to be able to get that with such bad stats. As a matter of interest how did you order the 3mb package? BT flat out refused to offer us higher than 1mb! Did they make any fuss when you were ordering it?

No problems. Just ordered it and got it.
    I do not know if the Router (Netgear) could prove to be an issue in my case. Anyway, I get pretty good download speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

better than no broadband at all!! I have to work from internet cafe today instead of from home, the ****ers.

Advertisement