Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent DSL problem

Options
  • 29-07-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I have BT broadband for 4 years and until now never had any problems.
    When I switch on my pc and start browsing everything is fine, but if I leave the pc for even 30 seconds when I attempt to resume browsing my modem seems to have gone asleep. I can not load any page and the modem seems to go into the start up mode again and after a minute is normal again. As I say if I keep on the internet all is fine but if I leave it the problem resumes.
    My modem is a wired Zyxel 623R-T1. I have not changed any settings.
    I seem to have been upgraded from 2mb to 3mb, could this have anything to do with the problem. Have tried disconnecting phone but no change.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lasno wrote: »
    I have BT broadband for 4 years and until now never had any problems.
    When I switch on my pc and start browsing everything is fine, but if I leave the pc for even 30 seconds when I attempt to resume browsing my modem seems to have gone asleep. I can not load any page and the modem seems to go into the start up mode again and after a minute is normal again. As I say if I keep on the internet all is fine but if I leave it the problem resumes.
    My modem is a wired Zyxel 623R-T1. I have not changed any settings.
    I seem to have been upgraded from 2mb to 3mb, could this have anything to do with the problem. Have tried disconnecting phone but no change.

There is normally an option somewhere in the modem/router to keep the connection alive or some such wording or connect on demand.

Check and see if your option is keep the connection alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Thanks for that, yes the live option is selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

lasno wrote: »
    My modem is a wired Zyxel 623R-T1.

You can change a setting on the router to Nailed Up. The only other thing to check is you're Noise Margine and Line Attentuation on router, you can get this of the stats.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You can change a setting on the router to Nailed Up. The only other thing to check is you're Noise Margine and Line Attentuation on router, you can get this of the stats.

I had wondered about the effects of the upgrade too but if the connection stays fine as long as its been used its hardly likely its the upgrade:confused:

Could you post your up to date stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Noise margin downstream 34.5db, upstream 21.5db.
    Attenuation downstream 28db, upstream 21.5db

• Advertisement
Advertisement