Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3...adding armrest?!

Options
  • 29-07-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

Don't know if ye remember, but I posted a few weeks back asking whether ye would get a diesel A3 or a diesel Golf. Despite the majority Golf vote, I'm going for the A3!:)

Still have yet to find the 'perfect' one! Though I'm getting close. Saw three today up the country. ('06, 2x '05) All very clean cars..drove well..mileage low-ish. Figures bit high for my liking but I'm sure I could get them down way more with a bit more persuasion! I'v no trade-in and cash. Buyers market at the moment aswell.

Anyway, enough of my talk. My question is: One of the things that needs to be in my car is an arm-rest. Some people may think this is silly, but I think they add to the interior of the car and I like resting my arm while driving. If I happen to like an A3 and it doesn't not have one...can they be put in easily? How much would it cost?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What would YOU be wanting with an A3. A nice Micra is exactly what you need *girrl*:D:D

I just put one of these into my car. Can fit them to anything with a centre floor console.

Be warned. It *will* impede your access to the handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The A3 armrest setup is ridiculous. test drive one with an armrest (If you haven't done so) before you decide you need one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I fitted one to a mark4 Golf and it was a peace of cake.

Prob was finding a genuine one. Got one off ebay from Shanghai and I didnt like the quality of it (pm me, you can have it for postage costs)

Having driven a Golf with one before I really missed having one.

Havent seen the a3 setup though

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

www.vagparts.com is the way forward, pricey but proper parts, fitted an armrest in my A4 a while back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

ninty9er wrote: »
    What would YOU be wanting with an A3. A nice Micra is exactly what you need *girrl*:D:D
    You're lucky I'm not attending BULBS this weekend..You'd have a drink over you for that comment!:P
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    The A3 armrest setup is ridiculous. test drive one with an armrest (If you haven't done so) before you decide you need one!
    I'v test driven a few of them with armrests now..and I found it fine!:confused: Found it nicer than the one that's in our '07 sports jetta family car even!

As for finding a genuine one..I'm sure there is a crashed A3 somewhere out there in some scrapyard?! Or paper ads?!

• Advertisement

the issue I had with the A3 armrest was that you have to fold it up every time you want to use the handbrake, and when you do you wallop your elbow off it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you can buy an armrest kit online and relatively easy to fit. see fourtitude.com or audi-sport.net for instructions.

The design is poor, but you soon get used to it and can set the armrest to a height that the handbrake works fine and it doesn't foul the armrest. There is certainly no need to fold armrest to use handbrake.

the issue I had with the A3 armrest was that you have to fold it up every time you want to use the handbrake, and when you do you wallop your elbow off it.
    Really?! I could use the handbrake away fine. Perhaps you've particularly long arms or something?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I found you just grab the handbrake at the very front to use it..

Small price to pay for a bit of comfort and laziness while driving, in the golf it means all gear changes can be done without even moving your arm.. RESULT!

slideways wrote: »
    ...in the golf it means all gear changes can be done without even moving your arm.. RESULT!
    Yeah, found that with the A3 aswell. Happy days!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Strange, I automatically presumed all A3's had the centre armrest as standard.

I stand to be corrected...

Brabus wrote: »
    Strange, I automatically presumed all A3's had the centre armrest as standard.

I stand to be corrected...

as noted above, they don't. It's an option.

copacetic wrote: »
    as noted above, they don't. It's an option.

A theme that is continued through the whole car.

sweet jebus, have you no other bloody records?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

At first found it a little awkward but got used to it quickly.

Have to agree with most of ye, its a great addition for the driver.

Found it strange that one of the '05 cars today (2L TDi/140bhp/6speed) had just a basic air system..wasn't like this electric one which I'v seen in most of them for it's spec/year...but a bog standard one with three manual knobs/no air con.(Best pic I could find of idea) Not what I expect for 20K+. Fair enough there's less to go wrong with manual..but not even air con. Perhaps I'm just being very choosey about this?!:confused:

the dual zone climate control in first pic is an option also. usually people would buy the esp and climate control package, but not everyone.

Advertisement