Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera rip off ?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

In the Argos site: Sony DSC-H10 for €329
    Same camera in Komplett for €211.
    ???? Thats a big difference.....

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

don't buy from Argos so. If more people shopped around and avoided the ripoffs, maybe we'd see more reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

personally I never have and never will buy any electronic gadgets from retailers here....they're all a rip off. The thing I do is go into the likes of Dixons and get them to show me a camera I like, write down the specs and look for it much cheaper online. But make sure you check all the main sellers online as you'd be amazed at some of the differences as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

There is no such thing as a rip-off. Only people who don't shop around properly.

Unless a monopoly exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

there is most definitely no point in buying anything electronic in a shop anymore. the same camera is probably half the argos price on ebay. yes it takes a few days, maybe a week to arrive if it's from england but in most cases you won't need it *now*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I was looking at a digital camera last week. €206 from Pixmania (or €218 including shipping). Same one in Argos - €369.

I know people who wouldn't buy something online in a fit. They like having a bricks 'n mortar shop to go back to if something breaks. I'm not sure I'd pay a €150 premium for that luxury though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Argos is the last place I would buy electronic goods in a shop in Ireland, they aren't even competitive against the other shop retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

LFCFan wrote: »
    don't buy from Argos so. If more people shopped around and avoided the ripoffs, maybe we'd see more reasonable prices.

LFCFan are you Mary Harney in disguise?
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Kompett isnt cheap either...

fle bay or any trust worthy bulk seller is the way to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

Argos sell their goods based on their catalogues which are released twice each year. This means that the price of a camera you see in a catalogue (or store) today might well be a price that was calculated and published up to 8 months ago.
    Whereas sites like Komplett update their prices daily and will always be able to quote better prices.

Simple - don't use Argos for any consumer electronics as the prices of these goods are reducing on a nearly-weekly basis.

Keep an eye out for the Argos 'sale supplements' though, these sometimes contain more realistic prices for electronics.

Horses for courses, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

And €199 from Pixmania here
    But am sure you can do better than that (well a bit anyway) if you search around.

Boo

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It is worth checking the Argos price on their website as outside as they so seem to change some prices outside of the special catalogue editions - I got a HDD camcorder from them and it was cheaper than any online shop but yet the paper supplement catalogue had it at the higher price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they will probably have it for half price in a month or two as they usually give inflated prices in the main catalogue so they can do mini sales throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

S.I.R wrote: »
    Kompett isnt cheap either...

fle bay or any trust worthy bulk seller is the way to go...

+1
    Komplett's prices seem to have increased.
    I use one of the German sites like DigitalWonderworld.de.
    They have cheaper VAT, delivery is ok if buying multiple expensive items.
    They have always been reliable and even throw in the odd can of beer :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tipptoggy

Just in from a trip to Killkenny.

Whites Pharmacy has a good selection of secondhand Nikon and Fuji DSLRS, trouble is their prices are mad. A used Nikon D200 for 1200 Euro, a Used Fuji S5 for almost 700 euro. The Nikon price is double what you'd pay for it SH in Berminghams in Dublin, and the Fuji is 250 Euro more than the new price in the UK (selling for 450 E this month).

Anybody live in Kilkenny? Are ye so rich!

Tipptoggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Seems to go from the local high st shops to agros to your ireland online stores such as Pixmania, dabs, komplet to your uk online stores and then to the ebay stores..

I when from the local camera shop for a digital camera over xmas, varied from >500 in the local to 125 in the uk (thanks to the Stg at the moment but all the same).. Even our ire online stores where >280 mark so you'll save a bit buying local but you'll save a fortune going outside..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

There is no such thing as a rip-off. Only people who don't shop around properly.

If thats the case why are you here in the "Rip Off Ireland" category?
    This category exists to assist people like the thread starter in getting the message across as to the best and worst places to buy goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tipptoggy wrote: »
    Just in from a trip to Killkenny.

Whites Pharmacy has a good selection of secondhand Nikon and Fuji DSLRS, trouble is their prices are mad.
    :eek: Who in their right mind would have thought that buying a camera, in a pharmacy, in kilkenny would be expensive? This is shocking stuff, and I was all set to go there this weekend since I presumed they would have fantastic deals.

I need to refill my 1kg ketchup bottle tonight, off down the chipper again for 50 sachets.

Advertisement