Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HRV and Cooker Hood

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭about2build

me too anybody plEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

We decided to take it out. After speaking to people and even compnay who put in MHRV we decided against the filters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

We decided to take it out. After speaking to people and even compnay who put in MHRV we decided against the filters.

Troy
    Which extractor type did you take out.
    A. Integrated hood with hrv system . My installer did not reccomend .
    B. Stand alone recyclehood with charcoal filters.No direct connection to HRV system.This is my system and i find it to be effective.

Your post is a bit confusing
    To others looking for a unit.
    A lot of standard extractors have an option to use charcoal filters for internal recycling.instead of external dumping .

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

Sorry,
    I meant we took it out through the wall using a regular Neff hood. We heard too many bad things about the charcoal route and the vent company didn't recommend linking it to mhrv. I heard there are duct covers that are pretty airtight when hood is not in use. Didn't get a chance to look yet. After weighing things up we went route one. Your house is never going to be 100% airtight so you have to weight up the advantages and disadvantages of each route.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭about2build

@ Bakerbhoy Can you explain a little how yours works? charcoal filter for the smells and the steam etc is absorbed by the standard room mvhr vents without being directly connected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Yes as you stated the hood is a fairly standard hood belling 1100 . The charcoal filter and the washable mesh filters do their normal thing and air is recycled back into kitchen above hood. The hrv extract deals with the moist air as bathroom etc. THE HRV vent is approx 1meter distance from hood tower.

http://www.belling.co.uk/hoods-and-splashbacks/chimney/110chim/

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭magnethead

I guess technology moves along, here's the current solution from Z germans, comes in a 125mm and 150mm version. For your airtight house :)

https://www.naber.de/en-thermobox-125-s13040/

This is the company supplying it 'Frank Flanagan Fittings' in Finglas, but you need a trade licence to buy from them, so you might have to buy through your kitchen crowd. I'm planning on using this. I was thinking of some electronic butterfly valve originally, but their product uses magnetic seals,and is all mechanical which is better.

I've heard of lads using two non return valves, the crappy little PVC ones on the extract, but the above is a much neater solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Wartburg

magnethead wrote: »
    I guess technology moves along, here's the current solution from Z germans, comes in a 125mm and 150mm version. For your airtight house :)

https://www.naber.de/en-thermobox-125-s13040/

This is the company supplying it 'Frank Flanagan Fittings' in Finglas, but you need a trade licence to buy from them, so you might have to buy through your kitchen crowd. I'm planning on using this. I was thinking of some electronic butterly valve originally, but them product uses magnetic seals,and is all mechanical which is better.

I've heard of lads using two non return valves, the crappy little PVC ones on the extract, but the above is a much neater solution.

There are other solutions from "Z Germans" available to make your extract cooker hood as air tight as possible. Didn´t see any certificate regarding blower door testing/ air tightness performance for the mentioned thermobox so far.

Hi Wartburg, Good point, Could you point out some of those other solutions please :) I'd be very interested to Hear about them. (I'm not gone on mains powered dampers)

Here is Z Zertificate (PDF link on this page, just above youtube video)
    https://www.naber.de/en-thermobox-150-s13027/

• Advertisement

Hi Wartburg, Good point, Could you point out some of those other solutions please :) I'd be very interested to Hear about them. (I'm not gone on mains powered dampers)

Here is Z Zertificate (PDF link on this page, just above youtube video)
    https://www.naber.de/en-thermobox-150-s13027/

This "so called" certificate is not worth the paper where it´s printed on. No serious explanation about the testing method and equipment, no proof of the test results like you have to do in a formal air tightness test and on top a set-up with 22m³ volume, which is equivalent to more than 1.2km ducting of 150mm diameter. Furthermore I´d love to see the magnetic locking mechanism, that keeps this masterpiece sealed up to +60Pa. This differential pressure is equivalent to a compressive force of 6kg per square meter. I´d rather prefer a system, which opens at a lower overpressure, to allow a good extraction of my cooker hood.

I do not want to praise or advertise another systems, but you can do a bit of online investigation yourself by using phrases like air tight, cooker hood, blower door certified, extract system,.... And I´m not talking about a motorised system, like coming from another German company for at least €400.

Thanks again, I found this springloaded one here, that be bit more expensive then the last example coming in at €300

http://www.compairducting.co.uk/compair-brochure/

Looks good too. I'll check them out, They don't advertise any certs on their website.

Thanks again, I found this springloaded one here, that be bit more expensive then the last example coming in at €300

http://www.compairducting.co.uk/compair-brochure/

Looks good too. I'll check them out, They don't advertise any certs on their website.

Compair is coming from the same company as the thermobox. It seemed to be good in the beginning, but the more researches I did on the German website, the more concerns I got about the spring mechanism. It has to be adjusted 100% perfect otherwise it could get jammed.
    It seems you have another internet than myself, when I type in words like "cooker hood" and "air tight", I end in another solution ;-)

Damn, you're good, I didn't notice it was the same company, I saw one website showing both products.
    I agree, the little plastic finger, with the spring hanging off it, doesn't look the most durable.

ok, I probably do have different google tailored results, are you talking about www.berbel.uk or Itho units?

A good discussion here on Airtight Cooker hoods
    http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=6392

I might go the recirculation route if I can't get a good solution on this.
    Can you PM me that German company who you reckon is the best.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I went with a motorised one myself. I switch it on and off as I need but I'll eventually get it wired in to the extractor via a contactor.

My issue is that I've a room sealed stove that isn't perfectly sealed at the door so it often pulls air through the stove if I don't open a window.

Thanks Effects, Do you mind sharing the Brand/Model you used for the motorized valve?

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    I went with a motorised one myself. I switch it on and off as I need but I'll eventually get it wired in to the extractor via a contactor.

My issue is that I've a room sealed stove that isn't perfectly sealed at the door so it often pulls air through the stove if I don't open a window.

We have to use a special switching in Germany for cases like yours. A small sensor will be installed at the closest window to your cooker hood. This one is connected to your cooker hood and allows the use only for the case that the window is at least tilted. That principle prevents a depressurization of your room and the infiltration of exhaust fumes out of your chimney into your building.

Advertisement