Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abandoned Boats

• 29-07-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

Someone was asking me about this the other day and I dodn't know, so just wondering what the law is..

Is there any law for gaining ownership of a boat that you find (a) washed up on rocks, or (b) drifting in the sea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd imagine there certainly are.

I dunno about abandoned at sea, but washed ashore salvage applies.
    if you get a line aboard to secure the boat/ship and manage to get her back afloat, you put a claim of salvage in and you get compensated according to the cost/effort etc involved in salving the boat.
    you could end up owning the liabilities though.

finding a uncrewed boat afloat might depend on the circumstances of the crew leaving - actually abandoning her or being washed away would probably be different legally. like flotsam and jetsam are treated differently.

i know the Harbour authorities in the harbours in Skerries Rush and Balbriggan couldn't remove abandoned fishing boats tied up to the quay, and couldn't easily force the owners to move them, a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

you put a claim of salvage in and you get compensated according to the cost/effort etc involved in salving the boat.
    you could end up owning the liabilities though.

does that mean if the boat caused damage you could be responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

i know the Harbour authorities in the harbours in Skerries Rush and Balbriggan couldn't remove abandoned fishing boats tied up to the quay, and couldn't easily force the owners to move them, a couple of years ago.

Still can't in most ports AFAIK. There was one that was tugged in from an engine fire 2 years ago (all hands got off) that was intermittently sinking at the head of the pier - firebrigade was in about every 3 weeks to 'unscuttle' it before she finally broke her back/wheelhouse and was torn apart for salvage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What if the owner of the boat is unknown, ie a small pleasure craft / rib with no registration markings or name?

Such a craft could be recovered from the rocks merely by finding enough bodies to refloat it

Would it be the same as finding anything, i.e. hand it over to the Gardai and claim it after a year and a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I doubt it is that simple. Maritime law is a totally different animal.

If you can salvage it by re floating it etc, you can board it and try and find a hull number and trace it from there. You never know there may be other evidence on board regarding the owners. If you find any odlums type products run away fast. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You really need to consult a solicitor who deals in maritime law.

I highly doubt the Police Property Act applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't really need a solicitor, I was only wondering what the law is because me and my friend saw a rib washed up on rocks, we don't intend on taking it we were just wondering was there any sort of law for salvaging it as it is there quite a while

I presumed there had to be as otherwise the coastline could end up littered with abandoned boats

Advertisement