Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options in Cork?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Just wondering what's available at the moment, preferably wireless.

I hear Chorus is quite good since they're cable. Unsure I can get that in though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

have been using novanetworks for the last few years and found them good, no contention and no caps.

Digiweb, amocon and another two that also supply wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Are they all line of site? Is there anything like Ripwave but with better download speeds & download limit?

What would the situation be with landlords letting me mount something.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

To my knowledge the three fastest in Cork are UPC(Chorus/NTL), Magnet and Smart. Yes you need a phone line for Smart and Magnet and yes UPC is fixed broadband, but wireless really is always going to be the poorer cousin of DSL or Cable.

Just wondering how hard it would be to get chorus in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Getting UPC Cable in in Cork city and most of the commuter belt around it is easy enough. The cables either run underground, or along the front of houses, you'll see them usually as a single or double thick coax running along just below the roof level and jumping house to house.

All they do is run a wire in to your house from there, typically through a window ledge.

Set top box / modem just plug in there.

Usually, you need to pay by Direct Debit, and there's a 12 month minimum contract. There's no installation fee though, if you book your installation via www.upc.ie

UPC can do phone service in many areas too. So, it's a good alternative to an eircom line.

Just remember, whatever package you subscribe to may be discounted for 3 months and after that you may have to pay the full price for the remainder of the 12 month minimum period (i.e. 9 months). So beware!

Their TV packages are VASTLY improved on what they were under the Chorus regime. There's a pretty decent channel line up and they offer a DVR (like Sky+) type box for a few quid extra.

If you can't get UPC Cable, DO NOT connect to their wireless MMDS TV service as it doesn't have any broadband or phone options.

To get Smart or Magnet, you need to first of all subscribe to eircom. They'll install the line quickly, but there's often a hefty installation fee if there's no line already present in the house, or if it's been switched off for years.

Check if you've got a phone socket anywhere in your house/apartment. Plug in a phone, if there's a dial tone dial 199000 and it will read back the number to you.
    Then dial 1901 and speak to sales and it can be re-activated pretty much over the phone.

Basically eircom don't disconnect most phone lines when people move out / cease the service. Rather, they just block all the incomming and outgoing calls and assign the line a vacant number. When a new account's set up they can reactivate the line at the click of a mouse.

If there's no dial tone, then you'll have to get a full installation. Sometimes they have online offers, sometimes they don't. It can vary between free and about €150 !!

The other wonderful problem with DSL in Ireland is the fact that eircom can install a line and then you discover that the damn thing can't support DSL at all and you'll have no comeback as eircom will have just installed a working phone line for voice service.

In Cork City and suburbs, you really shouldn't have any issues, but if you're in a far flung spot you might want to get some local advice before committing to an installation. Also, have a word with the engineer on the day and tell him that you need the line for DSL and to ensure that there's a copper path right back to the exchange. He'll know what you're on about and to be fair, they're usually very helpful about these things. It's the call centre drones that are unable to help with most things!

• Advertisement

not that difficult, but its a bit of a lottery so ring all the providers you know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Upc id pay are the best. Speeds upto 20mb. Pity im in the middle of nowhere

I'm just outside the City Centre, around Turners Cross(near UCC).

I'm just moving in to rented accommodation I got from randomly meeting an estate agent. I'm wondering about getting Chorus if there's a 12 month minimum contract - I may not be staying that long. And generally the wireless options require something be nailed to the side of the house. What's the cancelation fee like for Chorus? Do you think it'd be hard to reach an agreement to see if we can keep it for the room fter i move out?

She's friendly and I can talk it over but she's not very technically minded. I need to have my facts straight.

I have to sort it out soon though mind... I'm no good at surviving more than a few days at a time without internets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'm just outside the City Centre, around Turners Cross(near UCC).

I'm just moving in to rented accommodation I got from randomly meeting an estate agent. I'm wondering about getting Chorus if there's a 12 month minimum contract - I may not be staying that long. And generally the wireless options require something be nailed to the side of the house. What's the cancelation fee like for Chorus? Do you think it'd be hard to reach an agreement to see if we can keep it for the room fter i move out?

She's friendly and I can talk it over but she's not very technically minded. I need to have my facts straight.

I have to sort it out soon though mind... I'm no good at surviving more than a few days at a time without internets.

Don't opt to pay by Direct Debit. They will send you a paper bill that you can pay via Post Office. Then when you're ready to leave, call them up and tell them you'll be going and to cancel the service. If they refuse, just cut and run. They'll never find you.

I was living with two friends up to about March. I never used the TV, so it was up to my friends to foot the bill for their usage. They never paid Chorus a cent and they had us cut off in early March, just before they moved out. I stayed in the same house until the last week of May, bills coming in every month. I wasn't going to pay them, and seemingly nor were my friends. The total owing was €275. Turns out that, according to the friend that the account's name was under, he had done many cut and runs with Chorus in the past. Never has he been found out. No doubt he'll do the same again next time.

I should also mention that between the three of us, we owe BT Ireland over €700. We had 6 months of free 3Mb broadband, until they cut us off in March, too. When I'm rich and famous, I'll pay my third off. Luckily the account was also in that same friend's name. They didn't come knocking, and I doubt they'll find him anyhow. ;)

I cut and ran from Irish Broadband in June. I had them paid off for what I used, but I was only 2 months into a 6 month contract on Ripwave Plus with them. They got their money for the 2 months that I used them for, and I did send them the modem back straight away, so that's all that matters to me. I cancelled my Debit Card and ordered a new one with a new number, so they couldn't charge me against my wishes. This is relevant to your dilemma.

I should let you know that if I was working full time, and was not a student who is getting no government funding, I'd have paid all my bills. It started out with good intentions. However, I would have no problem in leaving early from a contract, without paying a charge, if I had no other option.

Good luck!

Are there any companies that have shoter term contracts, i.e. 6 months or so? Also what's the cancelation fee?

• Advertisement

Are there any companies that have shoter term contracts, i.e. 6 months or so? Also what's the cancelation fee?
    Ripwave and many DSL operators do. There's not much good Broadband out there without getting a phone line in. That and cable are the most solid. Anything else is a much bigger gamble in terms of reliability.

To answer your second question:
    UPC.ie wrote:
    12 month contract applies. Variable cancellation fees will apply should you cancel the service during the first 12 months.

That doesn't say how much the cancellation fee is :(

That doesn't say how much the cancellation fee is :(
    Freephone them on 1908 from any phone, including mobiles.

I'll see if I get a chance but I ned to sort it out with the agency first.

What exactly does getting Chorus entail? So I can explain exactly what happens. Are there any structural changes like nailing something to the house?

I'll see if I get a chance but I ned to sort it out with the agency first.

What exactly does getting Chorus entail? So I can explain exactly what happens. Are there any structural changes like nailing something to the house?
    Just copper wire. Nothing will be nailed to the house. But if there's no cable line in the house, it will have to be brought in. I'm not totally sure, you'll have to call UPC so that you can find out from them.

DECEiFER is right, the best thing you can do is call them......and mail them.....just incase they are too busy to answer the phone.

I would advise you to do it ASAP though, if you think about it too much you'll be left waiting. Ask a few providers and see who you trust most, have a look on boards to see what others are saying, but seriously do it fast otherwise youll be waiting.

I need to know exactly what it entails before i can go enquiring though.

Not at all, they'll tell you everything over the phone or at least on a mail, honestly they have all the info at their fingertips.

Just say your calling for a quote, you dont have to buy. People on here will only be able to tell you so much, with broadband providers each case is different.

Cable is irelands best bb

barnicles have you ever heard of fibre optic?

• Advertisement

Rorser wrote: »
    barnicles have you ever heard of fibre optic?
    FTTH is a dream, unless you live in some new estates in Dublin and some other select locations. I doubt even 1,000 people are able to avail of it at the moment.

11,000 (residential) and rising according to internet reports(through Magnet and Smart), even if you cant get fibre there are a lot of cases where ADSL2+ is superior to cable.

Yes. And how many can get UPC compared to fiber

Rorser wrote: »
    11,000 (residential) and rising according to internet reports(through Magnet and Smart), even if you cant get fibre there are a lot of cases where ADSL2+ is superior to cable.
    11,000? I wasn't aware those areas we so highly and densely populated. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. However, it's still quite a small number compared to people who can get UPC, or ADSL2+.

Rorser, given the choice, I'd go ADSL2+ over cable myself. Usually (except in Eircom's case), ADSL2+ is uncontented (1:1 contention ratio).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Rorser, given the choice, I'd go ADSL2+ over cable myself. Usually (except in Eircom's case), ADSL2+ is uncontented (1:1 contention ratio).

What? No it's not.

Moriarty wrote: »
    What? No it's not.
    Smart and Magnet, they offer 1:1. Other operators around the world do similar. But there will be some who don't. That's what I've been saying all along about ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Smart and Magnet, they offer 1:1. Other operators around the world do similar. But there will be some who don't. That's what I've been saying all along about ADSL2+.

Smart and magnet don't offer 1:1 on their residential services. They say that they upgrade backhaul links as they approach saturation. That's not the same. 1:1 dsl (adsl, radsl, adsl2+ it matters not) is available here, but you'll pay through the nose for it.

The vast majority of dsl services that I've seen offered around the world have been specifically detailed as contended aswell. Certainly there's no where near >50% of dsl connections world wide being run under an uncontended setup. I'd be massively surprised if it was even reaching low single digits.

Moriarty wrote: »
    Smart and magnet don't offer 1:1 on their residential services. They say that they upgrade backhaul links as they approach saturation. That's not the same. 1:1 dsl (adsl, radsl, adsl2+ it matters not) is available here, but you'll pay through the nose for it.

The vast majority of dsl services that I've seen offered around the world have been specifically detailed as contended aswell.
    That's it. I'm packing, and moving to Sweden. They say that for every person in Sweden, there's 1KM of Fibre Optics.

A guy I know has a 10MB up and down connection He's paying about €40 a month for it, he lives in an apartment block, and he's getting 1:1. I've known him since 2005 and he's had it since before then. He's a professional programmer and network administrator, and he uses his home connection to run game servers, among other small things. What kills me is that he is 100% legit and never uses P2P. He pays for everything! :P

barnicles we are not talking numbers, its about what material/technology can provide a superior service, cable BB is not the best BB in Ireland.

• Advertisement

As i can see upc has the best in terms of coverage and speed put together

Advertisement