Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keane? Who needs him???

Options
  • 29-07-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Bent got four last night.

:D:D:D:p;):p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Onwards and upwards our creative midfield will create the chances for whoever lines up up front this season.COYS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Bent got four last night.

:D:D:D:p;):p

Yes against a championship side who were close to relegation last year - and with a left and right back who were playing out of position! I wouldn't put to much stock in that, however good confidence boost for Bent!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

John W wrote: »
    Yes against a championship side who were close to relegation last year - and with a left and right back who were playing out of position!

Actually full back on far side was pretty quick when matching Bale - well beaten though by BAE for great cross to Bent.

Robbie who???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Is Bale back fit? I always wanted to know how he'd do to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

God i hope your right i never rated Bent TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing kanoute coming back. i would say he'll do well with out little russian if all is going well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

ziedth wrote: »
    God i hope your right i never rated Bent TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing kanoute coming back. i would say he'll do well with out little russian if all is going well.

Kanoute did ok for us but no more than that. Wouldn't think him returning would be an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Another 3 tonight vs Orient.

dos Santos with 3 (or 4?) assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Another 3 tonight vs Orient.

dos Santos with 3 (or 4?) assists.

According to Sky, he had a hand(?) in all five.

dos santos does look tricky i can see him and bently doing well. as for Bent he looks sharp i must say only 1 of his last 7 have been tap-in's i'd say give him a run for the first few games provided Ramos doesn't sign a replacement or by some mericale we keep Berba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanson

I suspect that unless we land someone like Villa, that we will at some stage this season be wishing we still had Keane. I dread to think that we will spend Keane's money on Arshavin for half the return in goals and none of the leadership. It would not surprise me to see Torres and Keane as the leading goal scoring partnership at the end of the season and Liverpool challenging for the title. Where Spurs will end up may be strongly influenced by transfers over the next two weeks.

• Advertisement

Now followed up with goals vs Celtic, Dortmund and Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Come back Robbie!!!

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Come back Robbie!!!

Yeah, cos he's really pulling up trees at the Mickeys...:rolleyes:

90 minutes of football and people are willing to write Bent off, is it any wonder Spurs fans are known as fickle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Most people had him written off a long time before Saturday Ronan, it was last summer if my memory serves me right.

Give him a chance to get a run of games under his belt.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Most people had him written off a long time before Saturday Ronan, it was last summer if my memory serves me right.

You're right mate, I left out one important word in my last post:
    90 minutes of football and people are willing to write Bent off again

90 minutes of football and people are willing to write Bent off, is it any wonder Spurs fans are known as fickle?

Hatch99 wrote: »

Give him a chance to get a run of games under his belt.

Lads I'll support Bent as long as he wears the white shirt and he's not a bad player but in fairness he's not fit to tie Keane's boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Maybe so, but whats the point in worrying about Keane, he's gone, lets concentrate on who we have in the white shirt today, not last season.

As a Spurs fan, i resemble that remark!

TBH I'll be surprised if Bent scores 10 goals this term.

yiddo wrote: »
    Lads I'll support Bent as long as he wears the white shirt and he's not a bad player but in fairness he's not fit to tie Keane's boots.

Simple question Pat: would Keane have made a difference on Saturday?

Because it seems to me that Eamo based his comment on the Boro game, and I fail to see how Bent can be blamed for not scoring on Saturday when the midfield behind him left him isolated and provided poor service.

Maybe this is worth posting?

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=524331

English Premier - KO 12:45
    Sunderland 1 (0) - 0(0) Tottenham
    Chopra 90

At Stadium of Light on 11-08-2007

Sunderland: Gordon ,Whitehead ,Nosworthy ,McShane ,Wallace ,Edwards ,Etuhu ,Yorke (Miller ,57 ) ,Richardson (Collins ,72 ) ,Murphy ,Stokes (Chopra ,72)
    Subs not used: Ward,Connolly,

Tottenham: Robinson ,Chimbonda ,Anthony Gardner ,Stalteri ,Kaboul ,Jenas ,Zokora (Huddlestone ,87 ) ,Malbranque ,Tainio (Bent ,59 ) ,Berbatov (Defoe ,77 ) ,Keane
    Subs not used Cerny,Rocha,

Bookings: Whitehead (Sunderland) Zokora (Tottenham)

Attendance: 43967

Referee: A G Wiley (Staffordshire)

Sorry reckless, I guess I am being the miserable spurs supporter that we're often painted as. hands up!
    I just don;t rate Bent that highly but would love to be proved worng. However I feel we can't take a chance on him and need strikers in ASAP. It's incredible that the club has allowed itself to be in this position with the season just started.

On last year's Sunderland game...yeh point taken BUT we went there for a draw and had no ambition.
    I thought this year we would race out of the traps and piss all over Boro to mark our territory (if you will). The result was heartbreaking and my knee is jerking!

• Advertisement

Sorry reckless, I guess I am being the miserable spurs supporter that we're often painted as. hands up!
    I just don;t rate Bent that highly but would love to be proved worng. However I feel we can't take a chance on him and need strikers in ASAP. It's incredible that the club has allowed itself to be in this position with the season just started.

On last year's Sunderland game...yeh point taken BUT we went there for a draw and had no ambition.
    I thought this year we would race out of the traps and piss all over Boro to mark our territory (if you will). The result was heartbreaking and my knee is jerking!

First off, I don't think apologies are necessary for having an opinion on a player. All I look for is a logical and rational argument, and I don't think lamenting Keane's departure is a logical response to Saturday's defeat.

Our mistakes Saturday were tactical, Ramos got his line-up wrong and we paid the price. I'll reserve my judgement on Bent until I have something to judge him on.

In his defence, at least we seemed to go up there for a win rather than playing four bland midfielders looking for a draw.

First off, I don't think apologies are necessary for having an opinion on a player. All I look for is a logical and rational argument, and I don't think lamenting Keane's departure is a logical response to Saturday's defeat.

Our mistakes Saturday were tactical, Ramos got his line-up wrong and we paid the price. I'll reserve my judgement on Bent until I have something to judge him on.

In his defence, at least we seemed to go up there for a win rather than playing four bland midfielders looking for a draw.

Yes at least we went up there for a win which is encouraging.
    I'm no great shakes at tactics and formations etc but do you think we can play the formations Juande has in mind with a more European style of play week in week out in the prem??
    A lot of games are won by scrapping. Do we have the steel to scrap when needed?

do you think we can play the formations Juande has in mind with a more European style of play week in week out in the prem??
    A lot of games are won by scrapping. Do we have the steel to scrap when needed?

I don't think the formation is a problem, Saturday's error was the personal used to fill the positions on the park. I've said on the match thread that we won't survive playing Bentley/Lennon/dos Santos away from home, especially with Jenas and Modric as the CM partnership behind them.

I-Bleed-White made an excellent point on the same thread, Zokora should have started in midfield which would have provided a bit more support to the back 4 and allowed Jenas and Modric to concentrate on their creative roles. If Ramos does persist in playing 4-5-1 (or variations such as 4-2-3-1) then we'll need a hod carrier in the centre. We don't have the class of a Makalele or Essien in the squad, so we should make the best of what we do have, i.e. sacrifice one of the attacking midfield trio for either Zokora or O'Hara.

I'd go with:

Gomes

Hutton
    King
    Woody
    Bale

Zokora
    Modric

Bentley
    Jenas
    dos Santos

Bent

It's flexible because:

1. Jenas and Modric are inter-changeable, though my preference would be for Modric to sit deeper than Jenas.

2. It can become a midfield 5 when defending, with Jenas slotting in on the right of Zokora and Bentley/dos Santos playing as wingers.

3. At home there's scope for Modric to push forward as required, but away from home I think he'd need to sit deeper alongside Zokora.

4. It can change to a 4-4-2 easy enough, with Jenas playing on the right and Bentley on the left, then dos Santos playing as a support striker behind Bent.

I do believe that ability to change things on field without making a substitution up will be useful this season.

I do think it's key that if we are going to ask our full backs to get forward as we did on Saturday that we have players who can cover the ground to get back into position (which we failed to do a number of times vs Boro). Another option is to use Zokora's pace and athleticism to cover the space left by their forward runs.

Simple question Pat: would Keane have made a difference on Saturday?

Yes because he's a better player than Bent. Always was and always will be!

Yes because he's a better player than Bent. Always was and always will be!

So if Keane played instead of Bent we'd not have lost?

Can't say I see any logic to that Pat, could have had Torres up front on Saturday and he'd have struggled to have an impact.

Can't say I see any logic to that Pat, could have had Torres up front on Saturday and he'd have struggled to have an impact.

Hold on a second you asked me would Keane have made a difference, I said he would. I don't know if we'd have won or not lost as you put it but we'd certainly have had a better chance of getting something out of the game because Keane is a better play than Bent.

I think you both have a valid point here lads, Keane could not by any means def get a win for u on sat. HOWEVER he is by far a better player then Bent, I'd like to think in a perfect world we could have played them both.

IMO Bent is lacking to by our only Outlet up front, Say for example he doesn't score against sunderland/chelsea/Villa what do we do then? the transfer window will have closed.

Hold on a second you asked me would Keane have made a difference, I said he would. I don't know if we'd have won or not lost as you put it but we'd certainly have had a better chance of getting something out of the game because Keane is a better play than Bent.

Ah c'mon Pat, the only difference worth commenting on is would the score have been different.

If Bale had played LB instead of BAE we'd have been more defensively sound (BAE was caught out of position too often after going forward, and that allowed Boro to counter attack)

If King had been fully fit and played instead of Dawson we'd have been more defensively solid (and I don't believe King would have allowed Mido get in front of him for the 2nd goal)

If Keane had played instead of Bent, what chances would he have had to convert?

That's my point, we'd still have struggled to beat Boro because we fcuked up elsewhere.

ziedth wrote: »
    IMO Bent is lacking to by our only Outlet up front, Say for example he doesn't score against sunderland/chelsea/Villa what do we do then? the transfer window will have closed.

Look at his record at Charlton, where he was the only player up front.

Maybe the problem is we aren't making use of the ability he has?

Or maybe we shouldn't draw conclusions until we've a half dozen games under our belt...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

We gotta give bent at least 6 games , keane hasn't scored for liverpool yet in 5/6 games. He was dragged off against sunderland last sat and he was muttering to himself already , same as back in the jol days!.He'll get plenty of time to warm the bench at anfield! That 20m we got for him looks better by the day!

Advertisement