Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keane? Who needs him???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Look at his record at Charlton, where he was the only player up front.

Maybe the problem is we aren't making use of the ability he has?

Or maybe we shouldn't draw conclusions until we've a half dozen games under our belt...

2 points i have with that budd,

1. He's recored with charlton is extremely skewed cause he scored like 15 peno's (this is estimated in my head so if i'm wrong i apologise)

2 I'm not drawing conclusions lad, just of the opinion of seeing him last season/time at charlton. I hope he proves me wrong and i even have him in my Fantasy Football team based on what iv'e seen of him in pre-season.

The point I was trying to make was if we wait the 6 games and he's still not played well or not recieved the service its going to be too late to do anything about it till january. Not to mention what do we do when he inevitablly picks up a knock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ziedth wrote: »
    2 points i have with that budd,

1. He's recored with charlton is extremely skewed cause he scored like 15 peno's (this is estimated in my head so if i'm wrong i apologise)

6 penos, 3 each season. Exact same as Robbie...apology accepted...:D
    ziedth wrote: »
    The point I was trying to make was if we wait the 6 games and he's still not played well or not recieved the service its going to be too late to do anything about it till january. Not to mention what do we do when he inevitablly picks up a knock

When I say wait 6 games, I mean us as fans. If Ramos and co are waiting until now to make a decision on whether he'll be good enough to bag us the required goals then they are making a huge fcuk up IMO.

6 penos, 3 each season..

I dont want to throw my rattle out of them pram here my friend but he definately scored 9 Penalties the season he scored 18 PL goals for charlton. i thought he scored abour 4 or 5 the following year but i could be wrong,

But we can agree that its sheer madness to rely solely on him. I personnaly wouldn't mind signing any half decent Striker for 4-5m as backup surely someone like James Beatie or Kevin Philips would come.

You're welcome to check my figure if you want:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=28055

Season 2005/06 is what you're after.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/fixtures.ink?team=p&diary=&season=05/06

Might be more trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Bent Vs Keane. In my opinion the major difference between the two is CONFIDENCE.

Robbie had his fair share of fcuking up good scoring opportunities but that never stopped him going back for more. His confidence and natural read of the game kept getting him back into scoring positions where he knew the goals would come eventually.

Bent has had very little playing time in comparison however, when he does start, he still looks short on confidence. He has an advantage on Robbie in that he has pace and physique but he doesnt have the same football brain.

The style of football we play is always going to create chances. Any reasonable striker should be expected to bag at least 15 PL goals a season.

If Bent doesnt get off the mark soon I think the ability he has will be shattered through lack of belief.

Our next four games are Sunderland(H), Chelsea(A), Villa(H) and Wigan(H). I would expect him to score in at least two of these games, otherwise we have serious problems.

• Advertisement

You're welcome to check my figure if you want:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=28055

Season 2005/06 is what you're after.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/fixtures.ink?team=p&diary=&season=05/06

Might be more trustworthy.

Think i'll admit defeat in this one :D actually the stats on that 05/06 season makes interesting reading. it is quite impressive.

Rich makes a very good point,

I hope more then anyone that Bent knocks in 3 the weekend and we get a 20 goals striker out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

I wouldn't judge too much on Saturday. When I saw BAE playing so much pre-season I felt it meant one of two things -either Ramos rates him, or he was being fattened up for sale. It still could be the latter. Give him a couple of PL starts and unload. I think if ramos didn't rate O hara and Hudd he would have bought a DM. Zokora is popular in the dressingroom, and is important with so much upheaval. Biggest mistake Ramos has made is not making woodgate captain. Second biggest is not buying a striker before berbatov goes, as go he surely will. Now Arshavin is allegedly off the table, who the hell do we go for. I just wish we had loaned defoe out at xmas. i know we nevewr saw keane leaving, but berbs was always heading for the door. Looking at him and Santa Cruz, it seems that strikers who do it in germany work well here.
    As regards Modric, quality will find a way to become influential. No fears there.
    bent could be like Clive Allen, he will hit a streak some time if we persist. People remember 1986-87 and 49 goals, but he was here for 18 months before that, and didn't light the place up. In contrast, Alan Brazil had a promising first half season, and was pants.
    The King thing worries me. Is he on the piss? If his knees are fluiched I wouldn't blame him .he only played half games in the pre-season. It's not good. Corluka is needed so badly. That was a stroke signing that nearly came off. Now Man City are being chased for non-payment of Elano money, let's go back with 12m. As regards holding role, would love to see Bale tried there when season settles down. made for it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

bale is too raw for a premiership cm role, he's quality at what hes doing and i give him two years befor utd sniff around... if we are looking at a def cm we should be looking at an established player who knows the role. Diara/Veloso from portugal/polsen/polak etc... they do exist.
    Equally worrying is the form of daws and the fact that King is a bit part player at most (unfortunately). If woodgate gets injured WE ARE SCREWED...
    This is all without mentioning the fact that last seasons no.4 striker is turning out to be this years first choice.

Levy should keep berbatov in a similiar fashion to villa and Barry, but we still need to replace keane...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Alan McInally (Sky Sports Pundit) comments following defeat to Sunderland.

"Ramos is going to have to think about this because as good a pre-season Darren Bent had, he didn't look anywhere near as dangerous when the real stuff began," said McInally.
    "He's going to have to get someone else in that position because Berbatov's obviously going and Keane has already gone.
    "And Modric, who I think is a fabulous player, needs to muscle up. He's a good footballer but neat and tidy is not good enough in the Premier League.
    "It's easy to have a go at them (the new signings) but David Bentley was fantastic today. Some of his deliveries were first class, but there's two equations here for Spurs: there's no Keane, no Berbatov and not as many points.

Same story again today, Bent isolated with us lumping about 6/7 high balls up into the air hoping he'd win headers against the two lumps at CB for Sunderland. Result? Meat and drink to the CBs, same as last week vs Boro.

The only time Bent was fed with a ball he could work with was in the 2nd half when Modric threaded a ball from deep as Bent ran into the channels and he hit the side netting.

It's a simple equation: 2 CB > 1 CF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Teddy Vedder

we fecking need him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

we fecking need him
    Yep, he is really banging them in for Pool - and what about Berbs - Jesus if we have had these two on this kind of form they are in right now - we would have an extra 0 GOALS:eek:

Advertisement