Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution for Watermarks in Gimp

Options
  • 29-07-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I searched through here looking for instructions on how to put copyright watermarks in using Gimp, and only found Photoshop instructions. So I went hunting, and an hour later, I have the solution :) Maybe everyone else will say this is really obvious, so I might be showing myself up here, but hopefully someone will find it useful.

Windows Instructions
    1: Download watermark.scm from here.
    2: Copy that file to the following location:
    C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts\watermark.scm
    3: In the Xtns menu, select Script-Fu, then Refresh Scripts
    4: In your picture window there should now be a new menu called Script-Fu
    5: Select Script-Fu, MyScripts, Watermark

A dialogue box will open giving you options for text, size, font, location and opacity. Make your selections, hit OK, and it's all done!

*nix Instructions
    Haven't put it on my other machine yet, but if the instructions are vastly different I'll update this.

watermark.scm was written by Doug Reynolds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eltentwelve

This is pretty useful. Thanks for this post! I'm gonna try it on my linux box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

This is pretty useful. Thanks for this post! I'm gonna try it on my linux box.

I haven't had time to try it on my linux machine yet, but if you've tried it could you let me know how it goes? I think it's going to be a very similar instruction list, with the variation of the path for linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Under *nix you should be able to put it into the appropriate sub-folder .gimp2 in your home folder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Roses-to-Ashes

Thoie wrote: »
    I searched through here looking for instructions on how to put copyright watermarks in using Gimp, and only found Photoshop instructions. So I went hunting, and an hour later, I have the solution :) Maybe everyone else will say this is really obvious, so I might be showing myself up here, but hopefully someone will find it useful.

Windows Instructions
    1: Download watermark.scm from here.
    2: Copy that file to the following location:
    C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts\watermark.scm
    3: In the Xtns menu, select Script-Fu, then Refresh Scripts
    4: In your picture window there should now be a new menu called Script-Fu
    5: Select Script-Fu, MyScripts, Watermark

A dialogue box will open giving you options for text, size, font, location and opacity. Make your selections, hit OK, and it's all done!

*nix Instructions
    Haven't put it on my other machine yet, but if the instructions are vastly different I'll update this.

watermark.scm was written by Doug Reynolds

uhh when I download it.. all it give me is a code? what do I do with that code? I'm confused lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Just downloaded this - the theory is that when you download the scriptfu script (watermark.scm) and save it in the scripts directory as indicated above that it will then appear in its place under the gimp's interface (on my install of the Gimp the refresh can be found under filters->script fu->refresh scripts rather than the OP's XTN's example).

Where the watermark script then appears within gimp, depends on where the author intended it - in this case it creates a new menu for you called Script-Fu with a submenu called My Scripts.

But in essence the instructions above appears good to go.

The first time i ran it on an image I got nothing - well i did, but it was black on black so play with the settings to figure out the best for your image.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Just downloaded this - the theory is that when you download the scriptfu script (watermark.scm) and save it in the scripts directory as indicated above that it will then appear in its place under the gimp's interface (on my install of the Gimp the refresh can be found under filters->script fu->refresh scripts rather than the OP's XTN's example).

Where the watermark script then appears within gimp, depends on where the author intended it - in this case it creates a new menu for you called Script-Fu with a submenu called My Scripts.

But in essence the instructions above appears good to go.

The first time i ran it on an image I got nothing - well i did, but it was black on black so play with the settings to figure out the best for your image.

Hmm ok let me make myself more clear.. I go and click the download or whatever.. instead of popping a download box up (run or save options) I find myself at a new web browser page that is nothing but a code.. source code I don't know... I don't get a file to save and put anywhere.. I get words and code..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pft

Hmm ok let me make myself more clear.. I go and click the download or whatever.. instead of popping a download box up (run or save options) I find myself at a new web browser page that is nothing but a code.. source code I don't know... I don't get a file to save and put anywhere.. I get words and code..

This happens with IE (firefox didn't try to open the link). Just right click on watermark.scm and select "Save Target As....".
    Fenster wrote: »
    Under *nix you should be able to put it into the appropriate sub-folder .gimp2 in your home folder...

Just tried this with Linux/Gimp 2.4.5 and it works fine. The exact directory was ~/.gimp-2.4/scripts/.

pft wrote: »
    This happens with IE (firefox didn't try to open the link). Just right click on watermark.scm and select "Save Target As....".

Just tried this with Linux/Gimp 2.4.5 and it works fine. The exact directory was ~/.gimp-2.4/scripts/.

Thank you so very much!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Thoie wrote: »
    Maybe everyone else will say this is really obvious, so I might be showing myself up here, but hopefully someone will find it useful.

It's the bee's knees - thanks. Followed your instructions to the letter and it worked first time.

Advertisement