Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late-2008 Entry-Level Broadband Options

Options
  • 29-07-2008 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I'm looking to equip my Dad...a pensioner...with a laptop and internet. His mind is as active as ever...and I want to keep it that way. More satisfying his curiousity and thirst for knowledge...than movie downloads and gaming.

I've been scanning the various threads for what might emerge as the best option for him. In particular the latest Broadband Providers Poll sticky. It would appear that (Three/NTL aside !!)...all the main players have at least a 3-to-1 satisfactory rating, i.e. Eircom, BT, Smart, UTV and O2. Maybe Perlico as well. Does that suggest...that despite the multiple threads outlining the pitfalls of all providers...that many people are perhaps having a reasonably satisfactory internet experience ?.

As he has an eircom landline...I'm minded to keep it simple and avail of their wireless option. I have this at home...and in general no complaints. However, is there an obvious "winner" for the entry-level non-power user ?. Is the mobile/O2 option that much more suitable or cost-effective ?.

I can/will explore the websites of all and compare costs etc...but just wondered if I could short-cut the comprehensive evaluation !.

Many thanks,
    K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

avoid anything mobile,theyre all crap compared to dsl,cable,fixed wireless

get an entry level dsl package ,will do everything he needs to do,and for a good price too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I would be inclined to agree with the poster above. Why not try the Eircom basic package and see how it goes? (Or Smart if it is available on his exchange.) You are only tied in for six months and certainly anyone I know with Eircom has not had any problems at all which is presumably what you want in this case.

Given your dad's thirst for knowledge would he be interested in class come Autumn? have heard good reports from one or two people as in making friends with fellow or lady enthusiasts etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

i would probably look at eircom (make sure its available though)
    cheapest option only €20 per month ish.
    as line rental is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

argos are selling laptops now in there new catalog

and dunnes are selling one aswell in some places.

if you want to buy one on the net one good site would be www.laptopsdirect.ie

there laptop are cheaper than high street stores

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Laptops forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=529

Worth keeping an eye on this but its quiet at the moment:

Dell Laptop Deals thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055162139&highlight=dell+bargain&page=57

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

dunworth1 wrote: »
    argos are selling laptops now in there new catalog

Argos don't have a great returns policy, they absolutely insist on returning the item with all packaging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

For the broadband option, stick to DSL since he already has a phone line, the rental is free (as he's a pensioner) and it's more reliable than any of the mobile products. Start with the 1M entry level product, avoid that "Time" bullsht, just get the standard one.

Advertisement