Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parachute sponsorship

Options
  • 30-07-2008 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey!

Has anyone ever done a parachute sponsorship? I would appreciate some advice. Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved from Outdoor Pursuits - seems more appropriate over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

do you mean raise money for charity and half of it goes towards doing a skydive and the other half goes to the charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Yeah I did one with sky Dive Ireland in Nenagh two weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

PeakOutput wrote: »
    do you mean raise money for charity and half of it goes towards doing a skydive and the other half goes to the charity?

Yea. Did you do it yourself? I was hoping to do it but not sure about doing it.

ec18 wrote: »
    Yeah I did one with sky Dive Ireland in Nenagh two weeks ago
    How much did you raise?

• Advertisement

Everywhere has a minimun amount to be raised. At Sky Dive Ireland the amount is €640 (minimun)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

hey ec18 was that tandem or solo? heading there tomorrow for a jump, pending the weather!

tandem jump.....It's one of the best things you'll ever do

I actually turned up! that was amazing in its self, did a solo with 6 other guys...wow! I'm still buzzing:D:D

iceage wrote: »
    I actually turned up! that was amazing in its self, did a solo with 6 other guys...wow! I'm still buzzing:D:D

Did you do any fundraising for that?

• Advertisement

You know, I didn't it was a birthday present for my 40th(yes I am an old Bast*rdo) and actually, I felt a bit guilty afterwards...but that only lasted a very short time!!!:p its admirable to do this for charity but its a lot of dosh. 640.00 yoyo is what it takes to jump for charity. Now that can take some time but if your determined you want to do this..more power to ya mate!

go for it, its an amazing experience and the closest you'll get to god without actually visiting!!!!:D

You know, I didn't it was a birthday present for my 40th(yes I am an old Bast*rdo) and actually, I felt a bit guilty afterwards...but that only lasted a very short time!!!:p its admirable to do this for charity but its a lot of dosh. 640.00 yoyo is what it takes to jump for charity. Now that can take some time but if your determined you want to do this..more power to ya mate!

go for it, its an amazing experience and the closest you'll get to god without actually visiting!!!!:D

I'll let you know how I get on when I do it:)

You missed out on the best part if you did a solo jump. The freefall in a tandem much better :D

Yes and no. Now I'm certified, I can continue my training and jumping at a much reduced rate. Although I must admit a tandem now is all the more attractive just for the freefall.

The static line training is what i was after the first time, getting out of an aircraft on my own was the real challenge for me and the days training was a real eye opener, theres an awful lot to take in. Don't get me wrong, placing yourself in a tandem Master hands takes a lot of balls and the rush I'm sure is mindblowing, but the training takes approx. 20mins your safety and wellbeing is literally in their hands. I've met a couple of them...great guys and you couldn't ask for sounder blokes but when you approuch the door on your own and leave that aircraft on your own, well...it just takes bigger balls!!!:D

Yes and no. Now I'm certified, I can continue my training and jumping at a much reduced rate. Although I must admit a tandem now is all the more attractive just for the freefall.

The static line training is what i was after the first time, getting out of an aircraft on my own was the real challenge for me and the days training was a real eye opener, theres an awful lot to take in. Don't get me wrong, placing yourself in a tandem Master hands takes a lot of balls and the rush I'm sure is mindblowing, but the training takes approx. 20mins your safety and wellbeing is literally in their hands. I've met a couple of them...great guys and you couldn't ask for sounder blokes but when you approuch the door on your own and leave that aircraft on your own, well...it just takes bigger balls!!!:D

not when you are dangling off the side of the aircraft while the tandem master checks you're in the right place. you can jump at a much reduced rate but it just isn't the same. Spirals are cool but FreeFall is so much better!

You know what, your so right...Iceage picks up phone!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

That's why the AFF is so mindblowing. You get your freefall and canopy flying experience. Falling for a minute at 200km per hour with nobody to look to if something goes wrong is just... ah.... but pulling a succession of 360s, being ABOVE your canopy... easily just as amazing. Jesus I have to get back up.

solace wrote: »
    That's why the AFF is so mindblowing. You get your freefall and canopy flying experience. Falling for a minute at 200km per hour with nobody to look to if something goes wrong is just... ah.... but pulling a succession of 360s, being ABOVE your canopy... easily just as amazing. Jesus I have to get back up.

Yeah as a Noob they gave us radios thankfully. to sort us all out(7 on my jump) No1. out the door like a flash! No2. would'nt stop spirilling!, No3. wasn't listening at all! 4,5 and six were the perfect pupils and landed standing up and No 7.(me) stuck it in a fence!! Laugh..I nearly bought a round!
    :D

How many for your AFF? they reckon you can pull it off in 8 jumps? WOW thats just amazing sh*T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

I did it in seven. Got one solo in before I left. I remember, the guy I was doing it with did his level 1 and I was about to go up but the winds got too strong. I was gutted. Came in the next day; did first three levels one after the other. Jesus, the adrenaline! I was worried before doing level 3 (for me, you're supposed to be able to stable yourself immaculately to pass) because a couple of the lads had to repeat but I managed to pull it off. Then it starts getting really good; barrel roll exits, somersaults and, of course, tracking (probably the most amazing thing in the world).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

How many for your AFF? they reckon you can pull it off in 8 jumps? WOW thats just amazing sh*T.

were i am now its 7 levels so you can do it in 7 jumps i think its the same system in ireland, coz i work here i got the 'abbreviated' version which was both cool and scary as **** so i got cleard for solos after 5 jumps

massive boogie this weekend cant wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hi there,

I didnt want to start a new thread for this but wanted some up to date info (so I'll resurrect this zombie thread instead), I'm hoping to do a tandem skydive for charity in the coming months once a good figure is raised. I've never jumped out of a plane before and am not a fan of heights at all so this isn't really a jolly for me by any means.
    I'm looking to find out what can I expect on the day (apart from abject fear) and would you have any recommendations as to how to proceed with this (as in use a site like mycharity.ie) and a good company to jump with.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Advertisement