Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Advertising Hoardings

Options
  • 30-07-2008 12:10am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have you seen the new advertising hoardings popping up around the city...?I think these are the ones we are getting free bikes for IIRC.I remember reading something about it last year.

I assumed they would be bus stop like in size and appearance,and some are.But I have seen some big ones pop up around the city in the last week or so and they are dreadful looking things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There are threads in both the Motors and Commuting & Transport fora about these. Long threads.

They're not just an eyesore, some are downright dangerous.

Here's the thread in Commuting & Transport, which links to the Motors thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329822

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

ah c'mon lads, any major European city, some even not major at all, have these, get with the times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Jay D wrote: »
    ah c'mon lads, any major European city, some even not major at all, have these, get with the times!!

Never has this :rolleyes: been more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jay D wrote: »

I'd rather start by copying a decent public transport system from our European neighbours first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I know Mairt but surely you know this country is a greedy one and some things are going to have to wait twenty or so more years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They are utterly utterly ugly and need to be vandalised ASAP. They can shove their free bicycles up their holes.

We need to shoot a few councillors. its not like anyone votes for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Bambi wrote: »
    They are utterly utterly ugly and need to be vandalised ASAP. They can shove their free bicycles up their holes.

Agreed.

Bikes won't be free either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did you lodge an objection or make a submission at the planning stage?

Did you vote at the last local elections?

Is it any of your business? is what i do relevent to the issue at hand? Are you trying to make a point or just score points?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it any of your business? is what i do relevent to the issue at hand? Are you trying to make a point or just score points?
    Advising in boards.ie that people engage in criminal activity frowned upon and it is indeed my business.

If you can't add to the debate in a constructive manner then you know what to do.

• Advertisement

You didnt mention anything about vandalising in your post though. If you think that the line about vandalising would be frowned upon you could add it to the idea that we shoot politicians and come to the conclusion that the post might just contain a certain amount of hyperbole.

What you did do however, is asked three questions. I did the same. Its realy easy to cast aspersions that way rather than add to the debate. sauce goose= sauce gander, If i wasnt adding to the debate then neither were you.

Now back on topic: Is there actually a relationship between these yokes and the dopey free bicycle idea?

Now back on topic: Is there actually a relationship between these yokes and the dopey free bicycle idea?

Yes there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Is there actually a relationship between these yokes and the dopey free bicycle idea?

Dublin was due to get 450 rental bikes in exchange for 120 sites. This worked out as a ratio of less than 4 bikes per billboard; in a similar deal in Paris they get more than 12 bikes per billboard and a rental of over 2K per unit p.a. to their council; Dublin gets €0

These are the fugly dangerous yokes have been going up over the last number of days:
    MadsL wrote: »
    SMDC0251.jpg

Note the client.

Also note that any of these type of units that were appealed to Bord Pleanala were shot down in flames on grounds of public safety

Sad fact is that many units, such as that above got through Dublin Council planners and was not appealed to the Bord because it would have cost over 30K to appeal the scheme in its whole :mad:

Being erected mostly in working class and disadvantaged neighbourhoods, the whole thing was designed to lock citizens out of exercising their rights in proper commentary... In some places 4 were to be erected within yards of each other, and so it would have cost a local over a grand just for those. I don't see people in Parnell St/ Capel St having a grand to throw at something like that.

Apparently the then Lord Mayor didn't even know of the scheme until after the planning applications were lodged :eek:

Its an outrageous indictment on Dublin City Council - that, and what the blazes is the Gormleys Dept of Environment doing by being the first to hire them up?

The only up side is that as with Rathmines, Dorset St/ Synott St, Im hearing that loads of them are not/ can not be built in the way that was set out in the planning applications... In other words, some are unsafe and non-compliant: Therefore, if people can be vigilant and stick up details about any suspect units on this thread, that would be no bad thing...

As stated earlier in the thread is that dodgy rezonings occurred to get the scheme through - link to secret map and a magazine article on the same is here: http://ireland.archiseek.com/news/2008/000134.html

It all stinks :mad:

I seen one the other day, for the life of me I can't remember where.

But I think it was Fairview.

Anyway it was crossing a cycle path (the type painted on a footpath) and cyclists had to duck their heads to avoid being decapitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Ireland has very strict laws in regards to outdoor advertising alot stricter than you would see in France, Germany etc. If some of these are as bad as people say they are then im really surprised they got through. They are frickin ugly. Id say if anyone has a complaint to either get in touch with their local councilor or contact JC Decaux who are putting the sites up.

Full list of locations for anyone interested: http://www.jcdecaux.ie/metropolelocations.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dublin City Council let them through - any of the big ones that were appealed to An Bord Pleanala were rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Ireland has very strict laws in regards to outdoor advertising alot stricter than you would see in France, Germany etc. If some of these are as bad as people say they are then im really surprised they got through. They are frickin ugly. Id say if anyone has a complaint to either get in touch with their local councilor or contact JC Decaux who are putting the sites up.

Full list of locations for anyone interested: http://www.jcdecaux.ie/metropolelocations.htm

By all means get in touch with your local councillor - http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/YourLocalCouncillors/Pages/FindYourLocalCouncillorsHome.aspx

Yet as for contacting JC Decaux, I wouldn't bother - they is W-I-D-E Boys, and I'm talking over 30 rulings against them by An Bord Pleanála finding that they have erected/ engaged in non-compliant/ unauthorised developments, mostly on the grounds of public safety... JC Decaux are only in the country about 5 years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭-Lithium-

I saw three of them on my way into town on the bus this morning - I was completely horrified.

Now, apart from contacting our local councillors, is there anything we can do about this?

Secondly, was this idea voted on by our local representatives?

Advertisement