Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

45ft tower question?.

• 30-07-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭

hi i know where theres a 45ft tower for sale and i,m really interested in it.
    but i have a question,i live in a small housing estate but i have half a acre of garden at back.

just wondered if i bought the 45ft tower and put it up would i get complaints or would some one contact the council or whatever authority you contact over this?.

i would be putting a yagi boom and antron99 antenna on it.

whats the legal height limit one can go?,any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

if you go around asking first, it gives ppl an oppurtunity to say NO. Whereas, if you go ahead with the tower and no one says anything, you win...

If someone objects, apply for planning permission. If you get the PP - all the better. If you don't just take it down to keep the peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you can stick an aerial on gable end or chimney without planning permission.

Technically any kind of tower or mast needs planning permission, but if no-one objects for 5 years you are OK without it :)

Talk to all the nearby neighbours first. Maybe put it at 25 ft and add another 20 ft later :D

Very hard to get permission for more than 45ft, but 45ft usually OK if no objectors, then apply as then you will have permission and people can't change their mind later.

What length/frequency of Yagi?

I have 4.5m long 144MHz Yagi on gable end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

watty have no intention on talking to the neighbours as humax said better to say nothing,believe me you would,nt call some of the people around my area your neighbours.

as its a place where everyone one do nothing for folks.

i,m putting a antron99 and 3 element beam on tower with rotator http://www.rocketradio.co.uk/sirio-sy-27-3-27mhz-3-element-high-gain-yagi-beam-antenna-1352-p.asp

have hust bought the tower so its win or lose now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

post a few pics when you're bolted and wired up

good luck...

Ok.
    You know you can use the Yagi on 10m with a Licence, but only the Antron on CB. Directional aerials not allowed on CB.

make sure you have a VERY good base, deep hole at least 4ft x 4ft x 4ft with poles/girders concreted in for the tower to attach to. Or if in doubt add guys too.

Sorry to hear about the neighbours. I only spoke to the people behind me.

Watch out for the drain hole on the antron. Make it bigger, if it cloggs the condensation will rot the inside of the aerial. I got a telesopic/hose clamp aluminium tube style aerial from Rocket Radio and a lot of mini8 patch cords plus a replacement mic. All fine. The aerial is about 19' or more and I removed the loading coil for 27MHz. Tunes 3.5Mhz to 50MHz now clamped to my balcony rail in Dublin (Limerick is the home base).

• Advertisement

ok lads thanks for all the comments and advice.

going with a 6ftx6ftx6ft hole and putting a made up steel frame in the hole with 12 threaded bars welded to the top of the steel frame.
    will be filling in the hole and frame with concrete.

base section of my tower has 12 holes at the bottom of frame to go down on to the 12 threaded bars in the concrete.

any idea,s on how many meters of concrete i need for a 6ftx6ftx6ft hole?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bassy wrote: »

any idea,s on how many meters of concrete i need for a 6ftx6ftx6ft hole?.

around 6.5 cubic metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

Been there, done that, I had my 45ft winch up tower up for nearly 3 years, when I had a visit from Dublin City Planning Department, who had visited me because of a complaint regarding my tower, to cut a long story short, despite applying for retention and submitting plans, which are costly, I was denied permission, and had to remove the tower :mad:

were you in a housing estate?.

cbr900 wrote: »
    Been there, done that, I had my 45ft winch up tower up for nearly 3 years, when I had a visit from Dublin City Planning Department, who had visited me because of a complaint regarding my tower, to cut a long story short, despite applying for retention and submitting plans, which are costly, I was denied permission, and had to remove the tower :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

Yes

• Advertisement

a tower in a housing estate in dublin was never gonna work m8.
    more rural myself,but still only takes one pr*ck to complain,then if i do get sumone knocking my door i shall take him or her down to a neighbours house yards down the road who has a esb pole erected and its a lot higher than his house with his sirio 827 vertical on it.

then i,ll point out to the person that has come knocking my door,when you tell him to take down his esb pole i,ll take my tower down to a certain height that is not higher than 5ft over ridge of house ;)

t
    cbr900 wrote: »
    Yes

howcome its ok for companys to erect 45ft towers without pp?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/health-concerns-over-mobile-phone-masts-prompt-review-448647.html

Masts up to 45ft high do not need planning permission in the normal way. Instead, companies merely have to notify councils of their intentions and can go ahead unless they are formally stopped within 56 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That's the UK,we're in a different country here called Ireland(Radio prefix EI)

Seven Worlds will Collide

yes indeed,but theres similar regulations to a certain height.

That's the UK,we're in a different country here called Ireland(Radio prefix EI)

Best of luck with it anyway,wish I had room for one !

cheers m8,but 45ft is not really that high.when you consider a 10ft pole on top of a 2 storey house or even a bungalow.

Best of luck with it anyway,wish I had room for one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SPIRITKEEPER

Hi guys

Just wondered what sizes the towers come in, (eg) 10mtr, 15mtr etc.
    And does anybody sell used towers for antennas.

Thanks
    Spiritkeeper

hi the towers come in various different sizes,mine is 45ft high it come in 9 x 5ft sections and you could easily put a 15ft pole on it to make it 60ft high.also you can climb my tower,and it comes with platforms.which have 2 hooks on them that clamp on to the tower so u can stand out on them very handy for when your fixing or changing the antenna,s.

i suggest you try www.cellcom.ie or keep a eye on the buy&sell

Hi guys

Just wondered what sizes the towers come in, (eg) 10mtr, 15mtr etc.
    And does anybody sell used towers for antennas.

Thanks
    Spiritkeeper

45ft is mimimum useful size unless you are in a bungalow in a field, as you want to get clear of roofs/chimney height fresnel zone.

Next is 60ft, though for VHF/UHF the next useful height is really 90ft

If you can do what you want on a 10ft pole on a Semi's chimney, then a 45 tower isn't needed. If you want an HF beam, you need the big tower as the Chimney + pole won't take the load.

A VHF/UHF yagi or VHF/UHF colinear will go fine on a gable end or good chimney about as high/good as a 45ft tower.

Rule of thumb for VHF/UHF.. next best tower is always TWICE the height!

hi guys just got this 4ftx4ftx4ft box frame made,with 12 threaded bars for connection to the base section of the tower.

this 4ftx4ftx4ft boxed frame will be going in the ground filled with concrete up to about the middle of the threaded bars.
    27082008327.jpg?t=1219875532

27082008329.jpg?t=1219875581

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/butchyboy77/27082008330.jpg?t=1219875629

• Advertisement

any taughts or advice guys?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭thejuggler

One way around this problem is to use a pump up mast which you only extend when using it. This means the mast is temporary in nature and would avoid the need for planning permission.

THERES A TAUGHT
    thejuggler wrote: »
    One way around this problem is to use a pump up mast which you only extend when using it. This means the mast is temporary in nature and would avoid the need for planning permission.

bassy - I know nothing about putting up towers but to me those bolts look very very light for a structure that's going to be 45ft high.I would have imagined more like 1 inch diameter bolts extending to the bottom of the frame.Is the tower meant to be guyed as well ?

Do you know or a friend know anyone in the Rigging business that could advise you ?

free standing tower m8,am also using 3 6ft scaffold tubes with 2ft of the scaffold tubes above the concrete and either welded or bolted to each of the towers base section legs.

bassy - I know nothing about putting up towers but to me those bolts look very very light for a structure that's going to be 45ft high.I would have imagined more like 1 inch diameter bolts extending to the bottom of the frame.Is the tower meant to be guyed as well ?

Do you know or a friend know anyone in the Rigging business that could advise you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

bassy wrote: »
    howcome its ok for companys to erect 45ft towers without pp?

Perhaps it would be worth going through the paper work of a small "business" and listing the tower as an asset? Seems disgruntled neighbours have a lot less leverage pulling against businesses than individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

The box iron used to make that frame for the tower is way to light so to are the uprights. man its a 45ft tower, do you realise the wind load on that when there is very very heavy wind. You could be looking at 1 tonne or more of pressure on them bolts when we reach our peak conditions here in Ireland.
    I have seen 1 inch bolts sheered off beneath free standing towers.

What you have made is dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Them sections look very very heavy. You should be able to lift each section up with one hand, If you cannot then my guess would be that the whole mast will be top heavy and contributing with that light frame and 'narrow' bolts you could be looking at a potential disaster.

• Advertisement

as already stated big paddy i,m going with 3 6ft scaffold tubes about 4ft in concrete and 2ft above the concrete,the the 2ft scaffold tubes above the concrete will be either bolted or welded to each tower base section leg.as well as the frame.

Them sections look very very heavy. You should be able to lift each section up with one hand, If you cannot then my guess would be that the whole mast will be top heavy and contributing with that light frame and 'narrow' bolts you could be looking at a potential disaster.

Advertisement