Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC, two pcs connected different IPS?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi, I've the Atlantic (Cisco) modem UPC supplies, and I've a bridged netopia connected to it (on the Netopia dhcp is disabled and ip passthrough is enabled). When I connect two pcs to it I'm getting two different (public) ips off two separate dhcp servers, they can't ping each other nr the others gateway, therefore they can't share resources.
    If I bypass the Netopia and connect the Alantic straight into my main pc, I'm getting the same static ip has through the bridged netopia.
    The problem is that one is my htpc, and I was hoping to use that netopia instead of pulling two cable across the room.
    Any one here have the upc BB set up as part of a home network?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

arikv wrote: »
    Hi, I've the Atlantic (Cisco) modem UPC supplies, and I've a bridged netopia connected to it (on the Netopia dhcp is disabled and ip passthrough is enabled). When I connect two pcs to it I'm getting two different (public) ips off two separate dhcp servers, they can't ping each other nr the others gateway, therefore they can't share resources.
    If I bypass the Netopia and connect the Alantic straight into my main pc, I'm getting the same static ip has through the bridged netopia.
    The problem is that one is my htpc, and I was hoping to use that netopia instead of pulling two cable across the room.
    Any one here have the upc BB set up as part of a home network?

The netopia I presume is a dsl router so is not geared for what you are using it for. Additionally by having it bridged you have no routing function in your set up.

Your best bet is to add a 'cable' router and your problems should vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

dub45 wrote: »
    The netopia I presume is a dsl router so is not geared for what you are using it for. Additionally by having it bridged you have no routing function in your set up.

Your best bet is to add a 'cable' router and your problems should vanish.
    That and you will need to make sure NAT is enabled so that only 1 public IP address is used to represent multiple PC's connected to your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Thanks, I though I'll might be able to use it until I'll buy a wireless router.

Advertisement